Search

Saver vs. Standard Award

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2007, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premiere Executive
Saver vs. Standard Award

Here's my question peeps.

Do the flights I see under the "standard award" ever get freed up to the "saver awards" closer to the date of flight. Any strategy around this would be appreciated. Looking to save 25,000 if I can.

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 1, 2007, 8:27 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Yes, sometimes they do.

And sometimes they don't.
Old Oct 1, 2007, 8:34 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
If the flight is very open for revenue sales, it's quite possible they'll open up more Saver space closer to the flight date. If the flight is selling revenue seats quickly enough and looks like it will sell out, you'll probably be out of luck. Rule of thumb is to check and check and keep checking.

If you require a Saver award, I would recommend booking that you're OK with, then keep checking on your preferred flights and switch to those if/when they become available. If you are changing only the dates/times (not routing or number of connections), changes should be free.
Old Oct 1, 2007, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA1K 3MM, AS MVP 75K Gold
Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
Yes, sometimes they do.

And sometimes they don't.

That was funny. . . but true.

Getting saver awards especially to prime destinations is a crapshoot. You can get lucky or you can be miserable but the general rules are valid.

That is, book early, be flexible with routing and dates, etc.

But this forum is full of examples that go against the norm.
Old Oct 1, 2007, 8:35 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Welcome to FT!

Yes, it happens, although now UA has started charging and extra fee if you book an award close to the date of departure.

In my experience it happens often when the flight is not very full. Check loadings on seatguru.com to see how full the flight is (seatmaps are not a good way).

If the flight is not heavy on load, and you are OK with risking the close-in fee for 25,000 miles, you might as well wait. You can always grab a Standard Award at the last minute if there are any empty seats.
Old Oct 1, 2007, 8:40 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
If the flight is not heavy on load, and you are OK with risking the close-in fee for 25,000 miles, you might as well wait.
This is why I suggested finding an acceptable alternative and then changing dates/times if space opens up... I believe (although I am not 100% certain) that the close-in fee is not charged for date/time changes, although I could be totally wrong. The last time I changed award flights was due to a schedule change, so fees generally go out the window on that one.
Old Oct 1, 2007, 8:45 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
In a sense the seats available for Saver Awards have nothing to do with the seats available for Standard Awards.

Any available revenue seat is available for Standard Award -- there is no special inventory for Standard awards.
"Standard awards give you the flexibility to fly at any time seats are available for the flight and class of service you request."

There is special inventory for Saver awards and there does seem to be some relationship (but seems fairly weak) relationship between the availability of saver award seat and the number of available revenue seats in your choice of class of service.
Old Oct 1, 2007, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to FlyerTalk, dan_in_colorado!^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.