Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "EmPower (Laptop Power) on United Airlines" Thread [Merged]

Consolidated "EmPower (Laptop Power) on United Airlines" Thread [Merged]

Old Aug 16, 2012, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
When the 747s received the IPTE upgrades a couple years back, they received 120v AC outlets in first and business.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Thanks - I wonder if United959 might be able to update post #1 for that, if he still reads this thread?

Can't ever recall seeing them in Biz and First before, but confess have never really looked.

So the laptop cord plugs directly in to the outlet? As mine has an ozzie 3 pin plug I hope when 2 pin adapter added, it stays in place.

Anyone know re the CO long haul 757s with bed seats?

Did 48 hours in TG 747-400 First this month, burning up miles before we are 'enhanced' by having all overseas awards doubled, and was amazed how much work I got done.

Originally Posted by ozstamps

The detailed original post has not been updated for 2 years.

Does anyone know for 747s in First if one still needs to use Empower adapter, or do they now have plug in sockets?

Also the CO long haul 757s .. does anyone know the story with those re in seat power in Biz First?
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Thanks - I wonder if United959 might be able to update post #1 for that, if he still reads this thread?

Can't ever recall seeing them in Biz and First before, but confess have never really looked.
Unless you are looking for them the plugs are fairly well hidden, and tough to plug in while sitting in the seat (without looking at the plug)

So the laptop cord plugs directly in to the outlet? As mine has an ozzie 3 pin plug I hope when 2 pin adapter added, it stays in place.
Yup! I find these outlets to be pretty secure.

Did 48 hours in TG 747-400 First this month, burning up miles before we are 'enhanced' by having all overseas awards doubled, and was amazed how much work I got done.
^^
Old Nov 29, 2012, 2:54 pm

Any idea what kind of power the reconfigured 777's have? I'm flying ORD-CDG and PEK-ORD on Dec 8 / 23rd and looking to see if I"ll have power. THanks!
Old Nov 29, 2012, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hellyea
Any idea what kind of power the reconfigured 777's have? I'm flying ORD-CDG and PEK-ORD on Dec 8 / 23rd and looking to see if I"ll have power. THanks!
They've got real AC power outlets in F/C/E+ (I'm fairly sure E- does not have power)
Old Jan 2, 2013, 8:07 am

Can anyone confirm what type of power is on a 777-400 (EWR-FRA) and on a 777-200 (NRT-ORD)? Seatguru says AC Power for the first and Empower for the second but not sure if that is up to date. Thanks!
Old Jan 2, 2013, 9:52 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by -Star-
Can anyone confirm what type of power is on a 777-400 (EWR-FRA) and on a 777-200 (NRT-ORD)? Seatguru says AC Power for the first and Empower for the second but not sure if that is up to date. Thanks!
Suspect you mean a 767-400 for the first aircraft type.

What class of service are you referring to?
Old Jan 2, 2013, 9:54 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
EWR-FRA is more likely 767-400 (764) and has new lay-flat seats with AC power.

NRT-ORD, while there is still a chance of the older 772 with EmPower, most of the 772 are now lay-flat with AC Power.

If seats are lay-flat, you will have AC power -- if you happen to get one of the old config 3 Class aircraft (which should be all gone from TPAC/TATL routes in a few months) then it will be EmPower.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 12:12 pm

I did mean 767-400 for EWR-FRA, sorry about that.

I'll be flying J in February.

This is the seat map for NRT-ORD (772) when I view my seats on United's website. F and J have seem to have lie flats, which means there should be AC power? http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Uni...-200_2_New.php
Old Jan 2, 2013, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... This is the seat map for NRT-ORD (772) when I view my seats on United's website. F and J have seem to have lie flats, which means there should be AC power? http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Uni...-200_2_New.php
This config has AC power in F & J seats -- seatguru is wrong about EmPower being used.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
This config has AC power in F & J seats -- seatguru is wrong about EmPower being used.
Perfect, thank you!
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:17 am

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
thanks winecountry -i was wondering the same thing after looking at
seatguru..
just one thing what do you mean there is still a chance of empower on older 777-200 from NRT-ORD?
Anyway to ck?
thanks
Old Jan 15, 2013, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by bryanwallace
...just one thing what do you mean there is still a chance of empower on older 777-200 from NRT-ORD?
Anyway to ck? ....
the number of old config 772 is decreasing but a finite chance still exist. Typically the swaps will be close to flight time. If done, you can track with unitedcargo or watching seatmaps.
The older config 772 is only empower equipped.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Ua 300 ord-hnl

Apologies in advance as I am search challenged. I'm in F and it is classified as Domestic F on a 777 No lie flat seats.

I never bring my laptop with me, only my Ipad but on a long flight I will watch all of Season 3 of Downton Abbey on my flt. My laptop plug is 3 prong. Does that work on F in the 777? I hope so as my battery wont last for 9 hours.....
Old Jan 15, 2013, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cruisr
Apologies in advance as I am search challenged. I'm in F and it is classified as Domestic F on a 777 No lie flat seats.

I never bring my laptop with me, only my Ipad but on a long flight I will watch all of Season 3 of Downton Abbey on my flt. My laptop plug is 3 prong. Does that work on F in the 777? I hope so as my battery wont last for 9 hours.....
Nope-Just the emPower adapter. IIRC, Radio Shack and Amazon sell emPower adapters for most laptops.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.