Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Can I Upgrade an Award Ticket?" Discussion Thread [Merged]

Consolidated "Can I Upgrade an Award Ticket?" Discussion Thread [Merged]

Old Aug 3, 2011, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA General Member, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Silver, Hertz 5-star Gold
UDU

I think that award tickets can be upgraded through UDU if you are elite and have the Continental Chase credit card. I believe that the same will be true for United starting March, 2012.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by hooterbif
I think that award tickets can be upgraded through UDU if you are elite and have the Continental Chase credit card. I believe that the same will be true for United starting March, 2012.
As I was told by a CO agent, I was not eligible for upgrade on the UA leg of my award ticket, but I did clear my CO upgrade 3 days out. I wasn't added to the airport list and the flight left with 3-4 F seats empty. Doh
Old Oct 25, 2011, 2:42 pm

Programs: Continental
SWU on award ticket

Is there any way to upgrade an award ticket using an SWU?

Last edited by hockey7711; Oct 25, 2011 at 3:09 pm Reason: mispelling
Old Oct 25, 2011, 3:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I believe you mean SWU (system-wide upgrade), not SWA, and the answer is no.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 3:09 pm

Programs: Continental
I just corrected it , thanks.

Didn't think so, but wanted to check.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 4:28 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Originally Posted by sbm12
B- answer.

A+ answer is: Be(come) GS and then you can, subject to upgrade space. Otherwise, no.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 2:59 am

Programs: ex-elite, now just pay C/J myself to avoid the hassle of keeping status.
I am flying SFO-ICN in XC, and wonder if I should upgrade to XF by paying $999? (I got the cash buy up offer.)
Is F over C worth $1000? I prob would pay $500, but $1000 is a bit steep...
Old Oct 27, 2011, 3:07 am

Programs: AMEX PL, Avis First, AA GLD
Don't know if this has happened to anyone or not, but a few weeks ago, in preparation for UA Family Day, I redeemed some of my miles to fly DFW-SFO with 12,500 in Y. After it was confirmed, I saw that I targeted to buy up to First for ~200. I went ahead and did it. Well, the day before UA Family Day, I get a text from UA. Thinking it was just a reminder, I ignored it at first, and then I got a phone call. It was the dreaded, "Your flight has been cancelled." So, I called the 1P line, seeing what options there were. I got on a flight DFW-ORD-SFO in Y. I told her that I purchased an upgrade and saw it and then put me in First. Now, this is where it get's interesting, after the flight was said and done for, I was looking at my activity and saw that I got credited for my DFW-ORD-SFO flight, with a booking code of F. I'm not complaining, just don't know if this has happened to anyone else.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 10:13 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by sbm12
Although if there is space and you ask nicely at the gate (and only at the gate), you may have some luck if the GA is feeling generous and knows how to work it on the system. I've done it several times and others have had success if you read back through this thread.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 7:09 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
I am still trying to figure this puzzle out:

Travelling with my wife on an award ticket EWR-GCM. When we check in with CO, I am told I am on the upgrade list and she is not. My CO OP# is in my reservation (Plat) and her UA MP# is in the reservation (1K). I check the upgrade list later and I am number 4 and she is not on it.

Now there were some changes made to this reservation and it was originally a UA reservation. I noticed on my MP that I have a different confirmation number than her so maybe for some reason they split it, or did it split automatically because of the companion?

I am checking to see if it posts with miles for me, if they did rebook it into Y. Otherwise, I don't know why... I have a Chase MP card (Select) but not any CO card or the new one.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.