Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Can I Upgrade an Award Ticket?" Discussion Thread [Merged]

Consolidated "Can I Upgrade an Award Ticket?" Discussion Thread [Merged]

Old May 27, 2007, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/ 1MM, SPG Plat
Thanks for all your comments. A lot of your answers make sense, but I'm still left confused when in certain situations, United prefers to leave the F cabin open rather than let someone upgrade off XY. For instance, a few months back I was on a short-haul flight BOS-ORD. The plane had 2 F seats filled and Y was fairly empty. Travelling on XY, I was not allowed to upgrade to F even though United had the seats, no one else wanted to upgrade, and they MAKE MONEY if I use my certs. That's the kind of situation,(i.e. where it seems like United would MAKE MONEY) and then refuses to upgrade that I don't understand.
Old May 27, 2007, 3:21 pm

Programs: NorthSails | Starboard | ION
Originally Posted by uapremier
I know you can't upgrade off an XY ticket. As far as I know, its been a United rule for forever. WHY?
...pretty simple really: because XC/XF tickets exist if you want to travel in a higher cabin.

Originally Posted by uapremier
...Travelling on XY, I was not allowed to upgrade to F even though United had the seats, no one else wanted to upgrade, and they MAKE MONEY if I use my certs. That's the kind of situation,(i.e. where it seems like United would MAKE MONEY) and then refuses to upgrade that I don't understand.
...did you think of 'upgrading' your XY ticket to an XF ticket by using more miles? @:-)

UA is more likely to "make money" (to use your words) by having you use more miles (and reduce its liabilities) than by you using up some of your e-500s... and BTW, how do you figure that UA makes money when you use e-500s?

Originally Posted by jswong
NZ also allows upgrades on award tickets

Jeff
...is the 'currency' used for upgrades the same as for award tickets (airpoints)?

Originally Posted by gleff
XY is an upgrade... from UnitedCargo.
...inKrect... that would be NY, and only 1Ks can get it

Last edited by iluv2fly; May 27, 2007 at 3:47 pm Reason: merge
Old May 29, 2007, 11:22 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG
Apparently some GAs are still unfamiliar with the rule. I was called up to the counter and offered an op-up by a DEN GA yesterday, but he couldn't figure out how to get the computer to op-up an XY (you can't), so after getting my hopes up, he said sorry and moved to the next highest status pax. Annoying.

I figure there probably is a way he could have given me the upgrade if he'd really wanted to, but instead it was just a tease.
Old Jul 10, 2007, 11:55 am

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
CONFIRMED: UGS able to Upgrade on AWARD SEATS!

Received an e-mail about re-qualifying for UGS, and it had a little blurb at the end:

"as well as our new policy allowing you to upgrade from an award seat when calling Global Services."

I called UGS and asked them if this was the case and they said yes it was. I was able to upgrade from a Business Class award ticket to Hong Kong to First both ways using Systemwides. Did anyone know this?

UG
Old Jul 10, 2007, 11:56 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Any chance you could call back and get a profile code for that? Please?
Old Jul 10, 2007, 12:00 pm

Programs: The opinions expressed here are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the airlines I worked for.
That's awesome! I wonder if they will expand this to other elites. I'm guessing on a DM list that XC and XY tickets will sort to the bottom of the list for each status level, although I'm assuming that Standard Award tickets would be at the top of the list since they book into C and Y...
Old Jul 10, 2007, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA
This (upgrading an award seat) sounds like a pretty fantastic new benefit. I've wanted exactly this functionality many times in the past -- sometimes just because of the upgrade versus award inventory distinction, but also at times when I want to fly a friend or family member in a premium cabin, but would prefer to spring for some combination of (miles + upgrade instrument) rather than miles alone.

Any clue from one of you UGSers about whether you can do this only for your *own* travel, or whether it applies to people using your miles (or upgrade instruments) as well?

I'd love to see them extend this to other MP tiers ...
Old Jul 10, 2007, 12:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by John26
I wonder if they will expand this to other elites.
Even though I'm a 1K, I actually hope they don't. This seems like a great perk for GS folks, and we do need good differentiators among all the various levels.
Old Jul 10, 2007, 12:55 pm
Suspended

This is good thinking on UA's part. A new perk for UGS without devaluing other elite levels.
Old Jul 10, 2007, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
This is good thinking on UA's part. A new perk for UGS without devaluing other elite levels.
Yes. ^ I like it.
Old Jul 10, 2007, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Big deal.

HKG Saver Award in C= 90K miles
HKG Saver Award in F= 120K miles

Why would anyone book award C then use 2 SWUs to upgrade to F?

2 SWU should be valued more than 30K miles, IMHO.
Old Jul 10, 2007, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kb1992
Big deal.

What if you're flying on Feb 26 and have expiring SWUs?
Old Jul 10, 2007, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by kb1992
Big deal.

Couldn't you also upgrade domestic coach saver seats with CR-1s and e500s?
Old Jul 10, 2007, 1:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by leech27
Yeah - that makes sense.
Old Jul 10, 2007, 1:16 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by leech27
Also this could be a way to get a "split award" e.g. F one way, C the other. It wouldn't be a great deal but in some sectors might be an option if the member doesn't have enough miles to redeem a roundtrip F award. Especially in the case of standard awards. (Or C one way, Y the other etc.)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.