Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Can I Upgrade an Award Ticket?" Discussion Thread [Merged]

Consolidated "Can I Upgrade an Award Ticket?" Discussion Thread [Merged]

Old Jan 2, 2008, 3:21 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Plat, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Once a UGS member gives a super saver ticket to a family member, can the UGS member still upgrade the super saver ticket given? Thanks for the replies.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alotoftravel
Once a UGS member gives a super saver ticket to a family member, can the UGS member still upgrade the super saver ticket given? Thanks for the replies.
Nopers, only when the GS member is flying, and I believe they can upgrade one traveling companion with them.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 7:07 pm

Programs: UA Gold Million Miler, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
I just tried the trick of asking for an upgrade online and it clearly stated that my award ticket was not eligible for upgrade. This will be the first time in a long time I have gone across country in coach. However, there are more first class seats avail than there are coach so we will see if I can coax an upgrade out of the gate agent. I have only been upgraded once on an award ticket (Hong Kong to SFO!) and once gotten a double upgrade because the baggage compartment was malfunctioning (Hong Kong to SIN). So, do you think a box of See's chocolates would do it? SFO to MCO.
Old Mar 21, 2008, 1:38 pm

Can NOT upgrade to business on an award ticket

For all of you who told me I can upgrade to business on an award ticket, apparently you are wrong. They told me over the phone that the most I can upgrade to is economy plus (which frankly I feel is a joke). I'm utterly dissapointed. Is the guy on the phone wrong?? or is it true... only economy plus.

-pj
Old Mar 21, 2008, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I don't know who told you that, but only Global Services members can upgrade award tickets (and that was a relatively recent development). I don't recall seeing anyone else post that award tickets could be upgraded otherwise.
Old Mar 21, 2008, 1:44 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, US Airways, United
Never Heard of upgrade for reward flight

I actually never knew that one could upgrade a reward ticket. In fact, this is often spelled out fairly clearly on upgrade certificates in that the certificates cannot be used on any reward flight. About the only thing you can do is to try to get upgraded at the gate if you've got high enough 'status'
Old Mar 21, 2008, 1:45 pm

It has always been my understanding that you cannot upgrade an award ticket.

But, years ago I snuck through an upgrade to an upgrade and went from coach to first on a three service class flight from San Francisco to JFK. I was the only person in first and I went home with a whole box of See's candy and certainly did not want for a drink! Ah the good old days!
Old Mar 21, 2008, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Who told you that? Links?

Any seasoned MP member would know that you can not upgrade an award ticket.
Old Mar 21, 2008, 1:46 pm

GS members can upgrade the award ticket.
Old Mar 21, 2008, 1:47 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Please point to where FT said an award ticket can be upgraded??

UA awards can not be upgraded (except by GS). There is a the possible of a buyup on the day of travel.
And yes E+ access can be purchased on Award tickets -- but it is still considered the same class of service.
Old Mar 21, 2008, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hyatt Plat
OP I think you are confused with upgrading an award ticket using an upgrade instrument (SWU, Miles etc) vs getting offered a day of travel Upgrade For Cash (UFC) offer at check in.

Unless you are GS, no one else can upgrade an award ticket.

As for UFC, it's anybody's game.

besides, if you ticket a 60k Y award US-Asia, why would you want to spend another 60k upgrading to business when a XC award is only 90k?
Old Mar 21, 2008, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Please point to where FT said an award ticket can be upgraded??

UA awards can not be upgraded (except by GS). There is a the possible of a buyup on the day of travel.
And yes E+ access can be purchased on Award tickets -- but it is still considered the same class of service.
correct so you're not technically "upgrading" anything. you're still in Y...

and yes only globals can have award tix upgraded using an instrument, e500s, miles, etc.
Old Mar 21, 2008, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Yes, if you are asking about day-of-flight, at-the-gate purchased-for-cash upgrades, then yes, award tickets can be upgraded.

Take a look at your post #923 here. The post immediately before yours specifies that award tix can be upgraded for cash. In your post, if this is where you believe you got wrong info, you did not specify that you were on an award tix. Same with your post #928.

Even earlier, in post #917, you ask if you can upgrade an award ticket. The subsequent poster says no.

So, where did you get the impression that award tix can be upgraded?
Old Mar 21, 2008, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by poppajon
the most I can upgrade to is economy plus (which frankly I feel is a joke).
Why?
Old Mar 21, 2008, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I think the OP is referring to this post about doing a UFC. It still requires there to be available seats in F/C at day of travel, which isn't all that common. They may even leave a seat or two vacant for last-minute walkups (or off-duty FAs...)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.