Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated "Lounge Access in PEK (Beijing)" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Consolidated "Lounge Access in PEK (Beijing)" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2006, 12:45 pm

Programs: NON ELITE
lounge at PEK

I will be flying to/out of PEK on UA.
How's the RCC lounge in PEK? Is there any *G lounge with shower facility at PEK?

Thanks.
Old Mar 14, 2006, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
It's been awhile, but the last time I was there, it was a shared lounge and it was just awful. The whole airport was dismal. Do not go to the airport early just for the lounge.
Old Mar 14, 2006, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Gold AA Gold NW Silver Marriott Plat. SPG Plat. Hilton Gold Hertz 5 Star
One word: BLEAH!

seriously though. It is a contract run lounge shared by many airlines. Its a pretty bad worn down place e.g. sit down and sink so far into the worn seat that your hands are below your knees
Old Mar 14, 2006, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
I was there in 2002. I actually have good memories of it. Generous snack and drink selections. Comfortable seating. Better than the majority of domestic RCCs. Still, it is nothing to write home about, and no use going early to the airport for the lounge alone.
Old Mar 14, 2006, 3:16 pm

Programs: NON ELITE
OK, so the PEK lounge is bad. How about the airport facility? any duty free stores? restaurants? paid shower facilities?
This is my first time to PEK airport.
Old Mar 14, 2006, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Use Search function and look for PEK lounge. Some more threads should come up. Search in the Star Alliance forum too.

Two lounges for *G. Air China and BGS lounge. Skip the China Airlines lounge.

Last edited by CApreppie; Mar 14, 2006 at 5:37 pm Reason: Typos
Old Mar 14, 2006, 4:18 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Gold AA Gold NW Silver Marriott Plat. SPG Plat. Hilton Gold Hertz 5 Star
think you mean Air China
Old Mar 14, 2006, 4:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: Count Your Blessings
The BGS lounge is quite fine.
Old Mar 14, 2006, 5:16 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
I have been in the PEK lounge for Air China a few times. Its quite big, there is a smoking enclosed booth, hard liquor, beer, various asian and western snacks, and I believe broadband access. I really don't like PEK as the airport is crowded, cramped, and full of con artists trying to rip you off. The airport feels like its 10 times olders than it is...hope they demolish and re-build it before the Olympics.
Old Mar 14, 2006, 5:19 pm
mattmacinnis

The BGS lounge has a superior food selection to a RCC. There's an excellent English-language newspaper selection, a nice fish tank, and reasonably comfortable chairs. If you walk all the way in, there's a small work area also available. There are a few TVs. I am referring to the F lounge, which is all I've visited -- but I suspect the C lounge is similar.

The airport itself has a few good stores (if I recall correctly, there's even a Ferragamo store now), as well as a very large duty free outlet. There are cordoned smoking areas (good if you're a smoker, even better if you're a non-smoker) and it's clean and reasonably well organized. The United check-in is all the way down to your right as you enter the check-in area. (There are exit formalities first.)

If this is your first time going through PEK, remember to leave time for customs and immigration on the return flight. You will have at least three separate forms to fill out for different check points, in addition to your boarding pass, visa, identification, etc. It's a horrible example of Chinese bureaucracy. (They ask you as you're leaving whether you have diarrhea, which is brilliant.) Getting into China is, quite significantly, much easier than getting out.

-m

P.S.: On entry, don't admit to having diarrhea.

Old Mar 14, 2006, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chichow
think you mean Air China
Yep! Oops. I knew that. Both are pretty subpar carriers.
Old Mar 14, 2006, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
The airport feels like its 10 times olders than it is...hope they demolish and re-build it before the Olympics.
They did rebuild it in anticipation of the 2000 Olympics. You should have seen the old terminal. It looked like the train station and the check-in facilities were completely inadequate.

The lounge is shared with Air China and it is rather dumpy. There are not enough seats before security and the restaurants and shopping are awful. The food court in the basement is expensive and not very good but it is cheaper than the equally bad upstairs restaurant.

Spend as little time there as possible.
Old Mar 14, 2006, 5:49 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
I remember years ago my father flew to Beijing to act as a consultant to the
Chinese government for building the "new?" airport. After all was said and done the powers that be pretty much abdandoned all the consulting reports and gave the lucrative contracts to their relatives. Maybe that explains the current condition.
Old Mar 14, 2006, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by CApreppie
Yep! Oops. I knew that. Both are pretty subpar carriers.
CI has some pretty new equipment and also on selected routes Connexion by Boeing. Hardly subpar
Old Mar 14, 2006, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chichow
CI has some pretty new equipment and also on selected routes Connexion by Boeing. Hardly subpar
New airplanes don't mean a thing if they crash them. Look at their safety record--it's pretty subpar. I'd take EVA over China Airlines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.