FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger-504/)
-   -   Upgrading a US airways ticket with United miles??? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger/678180-upgrading-us-airways-ticket-united-miles.html)

gktravels Apr 2, 2007 10:57 am

Upgrading a US airways ticket with United miles???

I would like to purchase a ticket on US airways but would like to use United Miles to upgrade to business. Is this possible, and if so how do I go about doing it? Do I call us airways or united? Thanks in advance...

Random_Flyer Apr 2, 2007 11:05 am

The only way would be to use a more expensive *A upgrade (assuming that US has this implemented).

You will not be able to use UA miles to directly upgrade a US ticket.

jhayes_1780 Apr 2, 2007 11:13 am

IIRC, US is not participating in the *A upgrade program. Also you can buy somthing called "PT500" upgrades (I think they work like UA's e-500's), but you must be premier or higher and around North America (no TATL).

Here are the t & c's:
Validity: For use by Mileage Plus® members when traveling on United code-share flights numbers 6000-7499 (UA* flights that are operated by US Airways®), as well as regular US Airways-operated flights. Each PT500 upgrade is valid for up to 500 miles of travel. A minimum of one upgrade is collected per flight segment.
Travel Area: Published routes within/between theUS, Canada, Caribbean, Mexico, Central America
Carriers: US Airways and US Airways Shuttle®
Valid Fares: Based on Mileage Plus membership level - Premier®, Premier Executive® and Premier Executive 1K® members may use PT500 upgrades with the purchase of Y, B, U, M, H, K, Q, V or L fare classes. General Mileage Plus members may upgrade with the purchase of Y, B or U fare classes. All rules of the purchased fare apply.
How to Purchase: PT500 upgrades may be purchased anytime in advance or on the day of departure at US Airways airport ticket counters, US Airways Clubs or city ticket offices. They cannot be purchased at the gate. Paper certificates will be used and they are personalized.
Pricing: Mileage Plus Premier, Premier Executive and Premier Executive 1K members may purchase PT500 upgrades for $40.00 each. General Mileage Plus members may purchase them for $50.00 each.
How To Request: Upgraded seats may be requested upon check-in on the day of departure only. Advance reservations will not be accepted.
Upgrade Processing: By elite level, then time of check-in.
Expiration: 1-year from date of issuance.
Refundable: Nonrefundable
Transferable: Customers may transfer PT500 upgrades to one companion traveling with them
Mileage Value: PT500 upgrades cannot be exchanged for Mileage Plus or Dividend Miles. Frequent flyer miles are earned based on fare purchased when traveling in an upgraded class of service.
Flight Interruption: In the event of a flight interruption, alternate travel is only provided in the class of service purchased.
Other: These upgrades cannot be deposited into a Dividend Miles or Mileage Plus upgrade bank.

planeluvr Apr 2, 2007 11:54 am

Or use GoFirst which is available beginning 30 hours prior to departure on domestic flights for $50-$250, depending on length of flight.

BenjaminNYC Apr 2, 2007 12:56 pm

Since the OP said "Business" not "First", I assume he's talking about a flight to Europe, and as such, GoFirst, and the PT500's will **not** help him. OP?

planeluvr Apr 2, 2007 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC (Post 7513751)
Since the OP said "Business" not "First", I assume he's talking about a flight to Europe, and as such, GoFirst, and the PT500's will **not** help him. OP?

The link also shows GoEnvoy, which is available beginning 30 hours prior to departure on flights to/from Europe for $500. GoEnvoy upgrades are available the day of departure at the ticket counter in the airport.

I should have labeled the hyperlink "GoUpgrades".

aslsigner Sep 15, 2008 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780 (Post 7513111)
IIRC, US is not participating in the *A upgrade program.

Has this changed in the last year and a half?

My wife needs to fly CLE-LAX to pick up a sick aunt and I want to sponsor her and her aunt's upgrade to First. If buy a ticket on UA (even though it's operated by US), can I still sponsor this upgrade?

todorovic Sep 15, 2008 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by aslsigner (Post 10373134)
Has this changed in the last year and a half?

My wife needs to fly CLE-LAX to pick up a sick aunt and I want to sponsor her and her aunt's upgrade to First. If buy a ticket on UA (even though it's operated by US), can I still sponsor this upgrade?

They can still purchase the upgrades. The link given above doesn't work for me but I found a new one:

GoUpgrades