Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "UA 'Z' Fare (Discounted Business Class)" Discussion Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "UA 'Z' Fare (Discounted Business Class)" Discussion Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2008, 12:06 am

Originally Posted by 1kBill
I believe that you would be seated in the C cabin. I'll take a three cabin C seat over 2 class domestic F seat anyday, as it is much better, IMO.
I agree...I would take a C seat over 2 class domestic F anyday also....I'm just wondering if this would be a way to sneak into 3 class F. The booking class for that segment is F not Z so wondering if that could get me into F on the 3 class as well.
Old Feb 2, 2008, 2:17 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Originally Posted by smk48
I agree...I would take a C seat over 2 class domestic F anyday also....I'm just wondering if this would be a way to sneak into 3 class F. The booking class for that segment is F not Z so wondering if that could get me into F on the 3 class as well.
It's always possible if you get a ICC agent who will try to upgrade you
or maybe on the day of flight, you might ask, though Z fares are usualy non upgradable.
Old Feb 2, 2008, 11:22 am

In thinking about this again, maybe it's better to rephrase my question like this:

If I am in F booking class on a two cabin flight and then standby for an earlier flight that is operated by a 3 cabin plane, which cabin will I be on the standby list for-- C or F?

Thanks again in advance!
Old Feb 2, 2008, 11:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by smk48
If I am in F booking class on a two cabin flight and then standby for an earlier flight that is operated by a 3 cabin plane, which cabin will I be on the standby list for-- C or F?
With a competent agent, C. If you find an agent who doesn't know what they're doing, you could get F.
Old Feb 2, 2008, 11:27 am

Programs: HH Gold, Alaska MVP Gold
Z fare is a C fare, you will get booked in C on the 3 class flight. Z fares are non-upgradeable (officially) so the only chance you realistically have is an operational upgrade.
Old Feb 2, 2008, 11:34 am
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
With a competent agent, C. If you find an agent who doesn't know what they're doing, you could get F.
Right. I've tried this numerous times by the way, and it almost never works, although every once in a while it does. Even if you end up on the DM list for First, the GAs usually just give you a C boarding pass.

Still better than domestic F, of course.
Old Feb 2, 2008, 11:35 am
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
By the way: How much is the IAD-GUA Z-fare?
Old Feb 2, 2008, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 1MM
Originally Posted by g_leyser
By the way: How much is the IAD-GUA Z-fare?
FWIW KVS tool says 678 base fare, but my ITA/.bomb skills don't seem to be up to the task of finding the all-in one.

Update: having upgraded my ITA skills , can now report that it prices out at $944.30 (at least for the random dates I picked -- out 2/23, back 2/29, both nonstop on TACA metal)

Last edited by FortFun; Feb 2, 2008 at 1:37 pm Reason: skills improvement
Old Mar 26, 2008, 12:20 am

Programs: United Airlines (GS: '09-'20); Hyatt (Courtesy) Starriott (Plat), Hilton (Gold)
Smile Help Plz: Ugrading using a "z" Biz Fare

has anyone had luck upgrading (using miles) on a Z fare from C to F? I tried online and it said "not eligible" and I tried over the phone and they were very clear "not UG-able".

There are still 9 seats left in F and I'm thinking they'd rather zap 15k miles out of my account than let a seat go empty, right? Wrong?

Appreciate your insights!
Old Mar 26, 2008, 12:25 am

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Z fares are not eligible for upgrade using miles or swu's. That doesn't mean Easy Check-in might not offer your an upgrade for cash.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 4:29 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
And you mean 30,000 miles, not 15,000.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 4:40 am

Programs: UA 1MM *G (recovered GS), SPG Nothing, Hilton Nothing, AA Nothing
You might also be able to upfare to C or D and then upgrade from there.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 5:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by CarlTheWebmaster
You might also be able to upfare to C or D and then upgrade from there.
Or, in the alternative, offer to provide a SWU when checking in with your favorite, friendly CSR at the airport. @:-)
Best, Dave
Old Mar 26, 2008, 6:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mpmsfca
There are still 9 seats left in F and I'm thinking they'd rather zap 15k miles out of my account than let a seat go empty, right? Wrong?
Wrong.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 6:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
Wrong.

Exactly... As I have said before: UA can, has, and will let a C or F seat fly empty.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.