Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "UA 'Z' Fare (Discounted Business Class)" Discussion Thread [Merged]

Consolidated "UA 'Z' Fare (Discounted Business Class)" Discussion Thread [Merged]

Old May 4, 2009, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Where do I get a "Z" Class Fare?

I looked at the FAQ and attempted a search but could not find any information. I am curious how you purchase a Z Class fare? Is there a way to search for them online or do I have to call UA or a travel agent to get them?

Please point me to the correct thread with the information.

Thanks!
Old May 4, 2009, 2:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Just search for "Business (lowest)" and if there's one there and you meet all the requirements (like advance purchase), it'll show up.
Old May 4, 2009, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K; US 50K
Keep in mind, "C" is full fare business, "D" is discounted business. "Z" fares are used when United runs a business class special and often includes more terms (ie. 50 day or 60 day advance purchase, sometimes a Saturday night stay) - all designed to keep them out of the hands of business travelers... So a lot of times, you may not see them come up.
Old May 4, 2009, 2:12 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
As mahasamatman mentions, it is common for (the better) "Z" fares to have advance purchase requirements, such as 50, 60 days and minimum stays of 7 days. And they may not be offered during peak travel periods. Seems they are less common for TPAC.
Old May 4, 2009, 2:15 pm

Location: NRT/HND, IWK, SAT, BWI, NAP, OKA, AUS, DEN, COS and PUB
Programs: UA 1K.. 1MM
Worth noting that not all markets have Z fares... And as with economy fares, pricing is anything but consistant.

So, if your city and date pair keeps pulling up D and C fares, then it's probably because you are out of luck.
Old May 4, 2009, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA, QF, VS, AA, US, HH, SPG
Some of the very well priced ATW fares on a sub-set of *A airlines book into Z class. (E.g. I use one ex-SYD using LH/UA). Note as well that on UA Z fares are not upgradeable and don't earn the COS bonus.
Old May 4, 2009, 3:33 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Other contraints that Z fares sometimes have are minimum stays and/or travel on certain days-of-the-week. It is also sometimes helpful to use the "flexible travel dates" option.

I found a very good Z fare HNL-ICN, but it has a 10-day minimum stay.
Old May 4, 2009, 3:50 pm

Programs: DL PM,UA MP(former 1K), Hertz 5*G, National Emerald Club, SPG, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by pschafer
Some of the very well priced ATW fares on a sub-set of *A airlines book into Z class. (E.g. I use one ex-SYD using LH/UA). Note as well that on UA Z fares are not upgradeable and don't earn the COS bonus.
NO COS RDM bonus But they do earn the EQM 50% bonus.
Old May 4, 2009, 3:51 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by pschafer
Some of the very well priced ATW fares on a sub-set of *A airlines book into Z class.
There are no more well-priced RTW fares. They jacked them all up 40-60% this year. And CPAC fares are up even more than that.
Old May 14, 2009, 11:13 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by UpgradeMePlz
NO COS RDM bonus But they do earn the EQM 50% bonus.
Does this still apply if I purchased a Coach flight but during the check-out process was offered to buy up to Business for one leg of the flight? I said yes and now on 'My Itineraries' it shows booking class of 'Z'.

Just curious if I will get the extra EQM? I think that would mean 2.5 EQM's with the DEQM ongoing promotion.
Old May 14, 2009, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by neo_781
I think that would mean 2.5 EQM's with the DEQM ongoing promotion.
It would be 3x if it's actually booked in Z.

Last edited by mahasamatman; May 14, 2009 at 12:40 pm Reason: Fixed awkward wording
Old May 14, 2009, 12:38 pm

Programs: UGS/1K, UA MM flyer, Marriott Silver, Hilton Gold
I've tried to upgrade an international Z fare for my past four flights. GS checkin at ORD, Narita RCC, Narita gate, ICN gate, etc. All the same answer: the computer screen literally will not let you enter the system for a change. Very nice NRT gate agent puzzled (as empty seats in first), called GS desk, no go.

This is a big deal for me, especially as folks I know on these flights had NRSA seats in FC. I've written a two page letter to USG, we'll see what happens. In short, my SWUs are worthless.
Old May 14, 2009, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by ORD2World
In short, my SWUs are worthless.
You knew the rules when you booked the Z fare. If you want to use your SWUs, book an eligible fare.
Old May 14, 2009, 12:50 pm

Does UA make Z fares non-upgradable to discourage business travelers from buying them?
Old May 14, 2009, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by ORD2World
In short, my SWUs are worthless.
Would you be interested in sharing them with someone who could put them to good use (seriously)?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.