Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger) [closed to posting]
Sign in using an external account

Old Feb 23, 07, 2:25 pm   #1

Lost My Voucher!

I recently gave up my seat on a flight from San Francisco to Albuquerque in exchange for a free flight anywhere in the US voucher. As I've been travelling a lot, my voucher was in my laptop bag and the very next day, my family and I were travelling again to Savannah, GA. While in Savannah, my wife was cleaning up my stuff and thought that it was an old boarding pass receipt and threw it away.

I called United and they said that my Feb flight couldn't pull up the voucher in the system yet, but when they could the only thing they could offer me would be $175 voucher - a far cry from the true value of the voucher.

$175 is better than 6 hours in the office, but I really was looking forward to using this voucher after getting a new job to visit home. They seem unwilling to yeild. I would suppose that my MileagePlus would actually show the voucher number in my history. I suppose their reasoning is that since the vouchers are transferable, then it is at risk that they offer a replacement. But I know it's gone for good and that it won't ever be issued.

Can anyone suggest a tactic to encourage United to give me back the full value of the voucher?

Thanks!
Jim
Old Feb 23, 07, 2:26 pm   #2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unfortunately, I believe the vouchers even say that losing it will completely void the voucher, so they are being generous with their offer. I am sorry, but I think you are out of luck here.
Old Feb 23, 07, 2:30 pm   #3
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
I agree with Lucky, I would take the offer and run. Lost is lost with those certs usually.
Old Feb 23, 07, 2:37 pm   #4
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: D.R.E.A.D. Gold Card holder; UA 1K/1.004MM; SPG Pt-195; PCC Elite; MR LT Au
Since you can earn EQM with the $175 voucher, but not with the free ticket, I would value the $175 voucher to be worth at least as much as the free ticket. The $175 voucher also has far fewer restrictions for use.
Old Aug 12, 07, 8:53 pm   #5
thc

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Platinum
This just happened to me too. I got a free flight voucher the other day and then lost it somehow. But I too would prefer a travel credit anyway so that I can earn miles. I hope United will over me a $175 voucher too.