Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

is it possible to split payment between 2 credit cards?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2007, 10:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP, UA, AC, Velocity

I just finalized an upcoming trip and wanted to allocate ~$3,000 to a business credit card, and the balance to a personal card.

The cs agent said this was not possible. I was surprised and asked her to check with the supervisor, and got the same answer - only one card allowed.

Anyone heard this before?

Al.
Old Feb 2, 2007, 10:33 pm

Programs: SIA Solitaire PPS, IHG Royal Amb, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Hhonor Gold
I believe this is a VISA/MasterCard ruling & policy that no "sales spiltting" is allowed. That is, you can't use 2 cards to pay for a single item.
Old Feb 2, 2007, 10:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by hclee01
you can't use 2 cards to pay for a single item.
People do it at restaurants all the time. But I'm sure you can't do it with United.
Old Feb 3, 2007, 4:37 am

it wasn't with UA, but I've had a travel agent do this for me in the past
Old Feb 3, 2007, 11:14 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by hclee01
I believe this is a VISA/MasterCard ruling & policy that no "sales spiltting" is allowed. That is, you can't use 2 cards to pay for a single item.
When you order from Dell's site it has a GUI for splitting the charge across multiple CC's...
Old Feb 3, 2007, 11:24 am

Programs: UA 1P /Starwood Gold/Hyatt Plat/UA RCC
Split payments are such a simple programming procedure but again we are talking UA and technology. UA was the only airline during the holidays that did not have an airline gift cards. Accepting these is nothing more than accepting a visa card.

RAR to the UA programmers
Old Feb 3, 2007, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Credit card purchases are factored into the whole TSA BS. So, it doesn't completely surprise me UA wouldn't do it.
Old Feb 3, 2007, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Kind of a workaround, but you could buy a $3,000 refundable ticket to anywhere on one credit card, then change it to apply that to the real ticket, paying the difference on a new card.
Old Feb 3, 2007, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP, UA, AC, Velocity
Originally Posted by channa
Kind of a workaround, but you could buy a $3,000 refundable ticket to anywhere on one credit card, then change it to apply that to the real ticket, paying the difference on a new card.
Very creative thinking ^ - I like it! Why didn't I think of that ....

thanks everyone for your comments.

Al.
Old Feb 3, 2007, 9:37 pm

Programs: UA 1P /Starwood Gold/Hyatt Plat/UA RCC
Originally Posted by channa
Brilliant^
Old Feb 3, 2007, 9:53 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
United once split it to two cards, for me. The telephone CSR said the rule was they couldn't do it, but made an exception because I was 1K.
Old Feb 3, 2007, 9:57 pm

Yeah United wouldn't want to pay two 10 cent processing fees. Might make them bankrupt.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No status no more, no where, no how.
I've often done that at Delta CTOs, where the TAs referred to it as "multiple FOP" (form of payment), but I've never heard of it working at UA for some reason.

It's essentially the same thing as using a DB voucher and a CC to pay for a ticket that costs more than the DB voucher, so I don't see why UA has a problem doing that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.