Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Chase Changes Mileage Plus Visa Terms [Merged Threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase Changes Mileage Plus Visa Terms [Merged Threads]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2006, 4:36 am

Originally Posted by amartin1979
What about if you cancel all your existing Chase cards and reapply? Would this get you the bonus miles?
There really is only one way to find out if this would work!!
Old Dec 19, 2006, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1P 1MM, Hyatt Globalist
No big surprise ... I've been sucking off the Chase, BankOne, First whatever, ... for several years ... big time. ^

Guess I gotta do an extra 15K EQM to get to 1K in 07
Old Dec 19, 2006, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by amartin1979
What about if you cancel all your existing Chase cards and reapply? Would this get you the bonus miles?
I cancelled all my Chase cards last week.

Let me apply for a new card now and test the water.

I'll report back.
Old Dec 19, 2006, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Let me add, you only get bonus miles (first use bonus) after you used the card. Thus $140 fee is not refundable.

However since I am 1K, maybe I don't need to pay the fee.
Old Dec 19, 2006, 6:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by MrAOK
does she get no bonus miles or only the 5,000 eqms? I would think they would still give the eqms
She did get the 5000 eqms. No bonus miles.
Old Dec 19, 2006, 8:14 am

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
Chase Changes Mileage Plus Visa Terms

Here is the 411 on some changes to the Chase Mileage Plus Visa cards I learned about when speaking to an informed CSR.

For an account opened after November 1, 2006, it must stay open a year, or Chase will take back all of the bonus miles from your initial sign up offer. I was told you should get a letter in the mail detailing this change.

When an account was opened before September 1, 2006, it is eligible for waiving of the fee for 1Ks. If opened after September 1 2006, then Chase will only credit $60 of the $140 fee.
Old Dec 19, 2006, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unhappy oh well

Good time is over now.
Old Dec 19, 2006, 8:56 am

Programs: united airlines
Originally Posted by chitownflyer
Here is the 411 on some changes to the Chase Mileage Plus Visa cards I learned about when speaking to an informed CSR.

For an account opened after November 1, 2006, it must stay open a year, or Chase will take back all of the bonus miles from your initial sign up offer. I was told you should get a letter in the mail detailing this change.

When an account was opened before September 1, 2006, it is eligible for waiving of the fee for 1Ks. If opened after September 1 2006, then Chase will only credit $60 of the $140 fee.
Are you saying that that those 1Ks who have not availed themselves of this benefit before now, will henceforth receive only $60 off the $140 annual fee? And the same for those who haven't been 1Ks before now, but who become 1Ks and have or get the card, they will see only a $60 discount for being 1Ks?
(My account was opened before 9/1/06, but I did not reach 1K until later that month. They did waive the full $140 for me after first telling me that I would have to wait until next year to be credited rather than now.)
Old Dec 19, 2006, 8:59 am

Programs: united airlines

Are you saying that that those 1Ks who have not availed themselves of this benefit before now, will henceforth receive only $60 off the $140 annual fee? And the same for those who haven't been 1Ks before now, but who become 1Ks and have or get the card, they will see only a $60 discount for being 1Ks?(My account was opened before 9/1/06, but I did not reach 1K until later that month. They did waive the full $140 for me after first telling me that I would have to wait until next year to be credited rather than now.)

Do the websites, UA MP's 1K one and/or Chase's, currently reflect such a change?
Old Dec 19, 2006, 9:44 am

Programs: AA 'kettle', Marriott Gold, ICH Gld, Hertz 5*
It'll be interesting to see how they handle two things:

1. Legacy 1K MP VISA holders who have multiple cards applied for before the threshold date.

2. MP VISA holders of single and multiple cards who become 1K after the threshold date.

I've had a signature VISA for about 5 years now and have had the platinum VISA since June 2005. I'll be 1K for the first time the end of this month and will report back with my experiences...

Pat
Old Dec 19, 2006, 10:04 am

I'm trying to get this fee waived right now and it is a huge pain in the ....
Old Dec 19, 2006, 10:50 am

Does this mean you have to pay the fee to get the bonus miles?
Old Dec 19, 2006, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA MM, UA Gold
I got the following letter in the mail yesterday for my new United Platinum card which had 5000 EQM/25k bonus miles with first purchase. This is my sixth card with them:

"You recently opened a new Mileage Plus Visa Account, which offered bonus miles after completing your first purchase using your new card. The terms and conditions specify that the bonus-mile offer is available only to new cardmembers. Our records indicate you have taken advantage of this offer in the past . . . your account is not eligible to receive bonus miles associated with this card."

I DID receive the 5000 EQM when the first statement closed, but apparently will not be getting the bonus miles.
Old Dec 19, 2006, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA, DL, US, UA, Starwood

What if you transfer the miles out as soon as they post?
Old Dec 19, 2006, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA, DL, US, UA, Starwood

What if you transfer the miles out as soon as they post?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.