Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Chase Changes Mileage Plus Visa Terms [Merged Threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase Changes Mileage Plus Visa Terms [Merged Threads]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2007, 4:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by g1ant
So its Chase who fix it and not United?
Since they're the ones who made the mistake, yes.
Old Feb 16, 2007, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA 2p
Here's to my first post!

And here's to my first round of questions.

I applied for, and just received, my MP Visa Signature Card. I activated it and have made no purchases.

I have another Chase Flexible Rewards card (flexible?!). About 3-4 years old. I've never used it to redeem anything, so the 42,000 points I had accumulated paying tuition went down the tubes. UGH. Thanks for the heads up Chase..

My questions are,

1.) should I go and spend that $250 and see if I get my 25K miles?
2.) Will I receive the $25 off cert. and 1,000 mile upgrade?
2a.) 1,000 mile upgrade--only for Y ad B fares? Because honestly, who in their right mind would buy a full-fare economy?

Thank you all...my lurking days are officially over!

Max
Old Feb 16, 2007, 4:49 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Originally Posted by maxipad
1.) should I go and spend that $250 and see if I get my 25K miles?
2.) Will I receive the $25 off cert. and 1,000 mile upgrade?
2a.) 1,000 mile upgrade--only for Y ad B fares? Because honestly, who in their right mind would buy a full-fare economy?
Welcome to your first post on FT.

1) If you did not receive a letter stating you were not eligible, I'd say go ahead and use it. Besides, you don't really lose anything by using the card since you do still get 1 mile/$ anyway, so you may as well use it.

2) You should... I think they were just restricting people from the miles, but I'm not positive about this.

2a) If you have any elite status (Premier Associate or higher), you are not restricted to Y/B fares. The restriction applies only to non-elite flyers. As for buying full-fare economy... I certainly wouldn't, but many business flyers buy full-fare, and gov't fares are also generally in the Y bucket. Plus, sometimes you can't really avoid it (if you have to buy a last-minute walk-up fare, for example).
Old Feb 16, 2007, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by cepheid

1) If you did not receive a letter stating you were not eligible, I'd say go ahead and use it.
I only received the card and activated it on Monday...should I wait more towards the month I have to see if a letter comes?

Originally Posted by cepheid
2a) If you have any elite status (Premier Associate or higher), you are not restricted to Y/B fares. The restriction applies only to non-elite flyers.
None...I'm a student.

Do you happen to know if you can earn points on convenience checks? for instance, if I wanted to accrue miles by paying my rent.

thanks!
Old Feb 16, 2007, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do you happen to know if you can earn points on convenience checks? for instance, if I wanted to accrue miles by paying my rent.

thanks!
Do you realize how much interest rate and the upfront fee they charge you on the convenience check?! If the convenience check earns miles, it would be some very expensive miles.

And why would you lose the 42K pts accumulated on your Flexible Reward Card? Did Chase change the program? What does it have anything to do with your current United Visa? The redemption program of the Flexible Reward card is still detailed on Chase website, it is not like the program no longer exists. I am confused about your comments regarding the Flexible Reward Card.

Last edited by Happy; Feb 16, 2007 at 11:02 pm
Old Feb 17, 2007, 7:56 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Do you happen to know if you can earn points on convenience checks? for instance, if I wanted to accrue miles by paying my rent....
NO!

(Convenience checks = Cash advances = no grace period = HIGH interest rate) = ZERO mile.

It appears to be your 1st Chase MP Visa. If you had applied the card using the right link that offered no 1st year annual fee PLUS the sign-up bonus miles w/ $250 purchases, why not use it? You would have nothing to lose!

BTW, welcome to the FT world!
Old Feb 17, 2007, 11:03 am
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
For goodness sakes DO NOT USE those convenience checks. Not unless you are trying to win a debt contest.
Old Feb 17, 2007, 11:56 am

According to my Flex Awards statement, my 42,xxx Points are "not redeemable, expired". So they're gone forever I assume...

Got it, no convenience checks. I'm about to go spend that 250. Then I'll have enough for my free trip to Vancouver! Hopefully..
Old Feb 17, 2007, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

According to my Flex Awards statement, my 42,xxx Points are "not redeemable, expired". So they're gone forever I assume...

Got it, no convenience checks. I'm about to go spend that 250. Then I'll have enough for my free trip to Vancouver! Hopefully..
How would it expire? Have you called Chase to find out? When was your last time you used that card? What are the terms and conditions of the Flex reward program?

I know Citi's TY pts work like airline miles, that is, it expires 3 years from the last activity. May be Flex Reward work in similar way. Being a cardholder trying to earn pts in the reward program, you should have known how the program work...

It seems you know very little about credit card, judging by the question you have regarding convenience check. It would be much better off for you in the long run to spend some time understand the intricacy of credit card debt (particularly the cash advance type) before you got yourself in some trouble.

For the heads up, if you ever take a cash advance on credit card, you better stop using that card to charge for your purchase as someone already gives you an equation - Cash Advance = No Grace Period - that means the minute you charge your card you incur finance charge even if you pay the purchase charges off by the due date each statement cycle but you have cash advance balance ...
Old Feb 17, 2007, 9:13 pm

I understand the debt; I've just never seen these convenience checks before, so I was imagiing ways to rack up some miles. As for the Flex rewards card, I know little about it. I don't use it anymore, I just keep it because it has a very high balance. I was a issued as a second cardholder under my mom's name, and I now have the account in my name, and thus have access to the account online. Should I pursue these miles? I get so sick of calling customer service people all day, it's so exhausting.. especially trying to "fight" for something they're reticent to give you, as opposed to, say, when you have technical issue
Old Feb 17, 2007, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
As for the Flex rewards card, I know little about it. I don't use it anymore, I just keep it because it has a very high balance.
I hope you mean credit limit, not balance?
Old Feb 18, 2007, 10:57 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Here's to my first post!

And here's to my first round of questions.

I have another Chase Flexible Rewards card (flexible?!). About 3-4 years old. I've never used it to redeem anything, so the 42,000 points I had accumulated paying tuition went down the tubes... My questions are...
I understand the debt; I've just never seen these convenience checks before,... I was a issued as a second cardholder under my mom's name, and I now have the account in my name, and thus have access to the account online. Should I pursue these miles?...
Max, your line of questions have nothing to do with this current thread, i.e. Chase Changes Mileage Plus Visa terms. We are discussing Chase's reinforement of one-time Mileage Pluc bonus miles offer here.

Instead of hijacking and misdirecting this thread, I would think it's better for you to either search or start your own newbie thread under Credit Card forum. Since the other card you have is not a Mileage Plus card, meaning it does not earn UA miles. Expired or not, you don't get any mile from that card. Don't confuse mile-earning with points/cash earning cards. As such a young (I think) and new FTer, you surely come to the right place and better start browsing the Credit card forum.
http://flyertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=599

And, of course, start reading the fine prints and terms that came along with your new credit card. Don't treat that piece of paper like trash. There's a lot of info there. Enjoy it!

Last edited by lin821; Feb 18, 2007 at 11:05 am
Old Feb 20, 2007, 12:53 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Rapid Rewards
Will I earn miles if I get a MP Business Card?

I have had several Personal MP cards but this is the first time I have signed up for a Business card. Any chance I'll be able to get a bonus on a Business card since this is the first MP Business card I've had?
Old Feb 20, 2007, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by CMHFlyerOH
I have had several Personal MP cards but this is the first time I have signed up for a Business card. Any chance I'll be able to get a bonus on a Business card since this is the first MP Business card I've had?
This has already been covered. Yes, you will get the miles IF it's your first Business Card. Mine posted a month ago +-. Chase may instruct UA MP to open a new acct. so you'll have to merge the two later.
Old Feb 20, 2007, 7:28 pm

Programs: United, Starwood, Frontier, Delta, BA
Originally Posted by philemer
Chase may instruct UA MP to open a new acct. so you'll have to merge the two later.
They did assign a new number, but I just called and had chase change the mileageplus number before they sent the bonus miles, so there was no need to merge.

This may, in fact, be a way around the no new bonus miles problem.

I just got a personal and business card mostly by accident when I signed up at some airport kiosk giving away stuffed animals. I've got two kids, needed two applications to get two stuffed animals ...

These applications were for new MP accounts as well as new CCs.

I had not heard about chase no longer giving multiple bonuses. My last 20K bonus was in August 06.

After I got the cards, I called chase and asked the CSR if they had my correct MP number. They would not tell me what MP number they had, but were very happy to change it to my old MP number. 4 weeks later, 42.5K miles!

So maybe this works if you get a new card and a new MP number then switch the MP number after the account is open but before the first purchase.
Anyway it worked for me.

Last edited by devildoc99; Feb 20, 2007 at 8:29 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.