Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

ord international to domestic transfer how long

Old Dec 2, 2006, 10:10 am
Original Poster

How much time is needed today 12/2 to make it from international to a domestic connection (C gate). Is an hour to an hour 15 minutes enough to make it through immigration, get the luggage, customs, recheck luggage, and then off to the gate?
Old Dec 2, 2006, 10:15 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
This will be tight, especially if you are not a US citizen. If luck is with you it should work however.
Old Dec 2, 2006, 10:26 am

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Yestderday is took 2 1/2 hours to get the baggage from our plane into the intl baggage claim. It was unreal. My AMS-ORD flight landed early and my SEA flight was delayed...and I still missed it.

The worst part was...it took two hours before a UA rep even showed their face.
Old Dec 2, 2006, 11:03 am

Programs: UA MP 1K 2MM
Sorry to rain (snow? ) on your parade, but I suspect the time is inadequate. Although a Saturday might be less congested than other days on the domestic end--the arrivals part rarely is swift. Last time through ORD inbound from Europe it took 15 minutes to deboard and about 10 minutes to walk to immigration, then 30 minutes in line for immigration and a further 25 minutes for the luggage to appear; going through customs was fast, maybe a line up of 5 minutes; then one turns one's luggage in for the domestic flight. That doesn't take very long, BUT if you want to stay and make sure it goes onto the conveyer, allow 10 minutes at least; then upstairs to the transit; wait time is usually 5 minutes; time to Terminal one, maybe 8 minutes, walk to security (and find it) 5 minutes, security wait--who knows? Say 15 minutes, then assuming your flight is on the end of the C concourse, give another 10 minutes. That's just about 2 and a half hours, and I'd say that it assumes everything runs smoothly.

If a flight arrives at a gate close to immigration; if you are first off the plane; if extra kiosks are open, if you get lucky on baggage, if the train is there just as you get up to the platform, if security is light... then, who knows?

Friends don't let friends travel international to ORD with a transfer to UA domestic--at least not really really good friends.

Flyer 420
in Boulder
Old Dec 2, 2006, 1:23 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus, MM, McDonalds Million Burgers
Late last month I came thru ORD from GRU. Landed at 5:10. Thru
immigration, recheck luggage, train to other term by 5:30.

THEN 30 full minutes through security - at 5:30 AM!! Seems
everybody was there. I didn't notice whether there was
an elite line (Is there?).

But good news you are right there at gate B17. And probably no
more than 5 minutes to any gate at B term. C will be a 5 minute
brisk walk through the tunnel and another 5 minutes in either
direction.

good luck
Bob
Old Dec 3, 2006, 9:11 am

Programs: UA Plat-2MM, Marriott Life Titanium, Hyatt something
Does ORD enforce a 45-minute luggage recheck rule? As I recall at SFO, once you claim your international bags, you must recheck them at least 45 minutes before the scheduled departure of your domestic flight, or you will be sent to the counter to rebook for a later flight. As a result, I always ask for 1:30-1:45 minimum connection from intl-domestic at SFO (actually I try to avoid it altogether by taking nonstop intl flights to LAX).

Charles
Old Dec 3, 2006, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBob
But good news you are right there at gate B17. And probably no
more than 5 minutes to any gate at B term. C will be a 5 minute
brisk walk through the tunnel and another 5 minutes in either
direction.

good luck
Bob
I'm ?? The Int'l flights land at T5 and he'll need to take the train to T1 where he'll clear security. The B17 is throwing me off...?
Old Dec 3, 2006, 10:13 am

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by UNITED959
I'm ?? The Int'l flights land at T5 and he'll need to take the train to T1 where he'll clear security. The B17 is throwing me off...?

Because the train drops you off at B.
Old Dec 3, 2006, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by andyh64000
Because the train drops you off at B.
I get that part...but why the specificity of B17?
Old Dec 3, 2006, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's not enough time. You need two hours, minimum. But if you do not have any checked bags, you might make it.

The problem will be your checked bag(s). Sometimes the bags come off the belt very quickly, but I have also waited 45-60 minutes for my bag.

The other problem is that when your bag is re-checked, it goes through the same TSA BS as if you just checked in for your first segment. And ORD TSA has proven many times that they cannot handle the load.

Even on flights from YYZ (where you clear ICE in YYZ), they still send your bag through the CTX machine before it's shipped off to your connection.

Ergo, there's a chance YOU might make it, but your bag won't. Happens a lot.
Old Dec 3, 2006, 10:56 am

Programs: UA MM, Marriott LT Plat
I would love to here if you made it. I have never made the turn in less than 2.5 hrs
Old Dec 3, 2006, 2:45 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus, MM, McDonalds Million Burgers
Sorry for the confusion!

What I meant was that right after security you are at B17 (at least from where I entered the security line after taking the train from the international arrivals terminal). I'm sure that ORD probably has different security check locations that deposit you somewhere.

I check in at ORD only about once a year and only after an international arrival.

From B17 it was only a 5 min walk to B1 or to the other end.

Bob

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.