Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is United Global Services?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2006, 9:09 am

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by roundtheworld
Nobody knows the qulification criteria for UGS. So any qulitative remark on who gets it is plain false.
Of course the qualifications are known. They just get muddled up by a bunch of speculative nonsense every once in a while
Old Aug 4, 2006, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K - 2MM, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by wimpypipsqueak
I'll put my hand up for being GS for the past couple of years, but I don't have a hope of being re-invited next year.

I don't think anyone can maintain GS year after year based on their own travel on coach tickets without getting burned out.
I agree with this, as it pertains to my historic travel patterns.
Old Aug 4, 2006, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K - 2MM, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by roundtheworld
[Discussion of moderation removed per http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#q86 ]

In general UGS are people how spend more and fly more and thus are being treated better.... everything else is speculation as we all know

Nobody knows the qulification criteria for UGS. So any qulitative remark on who gets it is plain false.

On top of it it is not even part of the MP program.
I am certain how a domestic traveler can get UGS invitation. The past 2 years I applied my model and was rewarded by UGS invitation. My model is not for the budget minded person but it does not require purchase of a single First or Business class coach ticket either.
Old Aug 4, 2006, 12:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by RobotDoctor
I am certain how a domestic traveler can get UGS invitation. The past 2 years I applied my model and was rewarded by UGS invitation. My model is not for the budget minded person but it does not require purchase of a single First or Business class coach ticket either.
I know your model, but maybe you want to share for the team?
Old Aug 4, 2006, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Please share!!
Old Aug 4, 2006, 2:52 pm

Programs: United 1k 1 MM
Welcome to FT!
Old Aug 4, 2006, 3:07 pm
Suspended

UGS is offered to CEOs (or C-Level Executives/Board of Directors) of major corporate accounts (even if they don't fly commercially or with United) to ensure when the fly UA they will get the highest level of attention in case their asst. or whomever forgets to personally request the VIP attention. The reason is if the CEO of a major corporate account or a major influencer gets bad service, a big chunk of revenue could be at risk for UA. They also invite top executives of key partners. For example, if Hotel Chain X is a MP partner, chances are the VP-Mktg is UGS. In this case, UA wants to ensure that key partners always get the best possible experience. That way, when they are at a cocktail party and a regular 1k is b*tching about how UA s*cks, they can retort I only fly UA once in awhile but it's always terrific.

I heard a UA exec at a conf a couple years ago talking about UGS and he mentioned they at that time ran a daily or weekly report (for top sales and marketing management) that flagged any flights with UGSs that had delays/cancellations so they could proactively reach out to them and make sure they were handled properly (i.e. - We know Mr. CEOs flight from SFO to NRT was cancelled but just wanted to check and make sure his flight on JL was OK).

Last edited by elitetraveler; Aug 4, 2006 at 3:28 pm
Old Aug 4, 2006, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
I know your model, but maybe you want to share for the team?
Originally Posted by ryan182
Please share!!
Ok, the following is my method of gaining UGS. No, I am not a CEO or some Travel Department head so this theory is not quite accurate. CEOs do gain comp UGS invitation but there are many others that gain UGS by flying a lot and spending a lot as well.

Welcome to Flyertalk arj-lax.

I would suggest for those wishing to become UGS, and get their own special Black card, spend a lot of $$$ for flights making a lot of flights. I used to average between 30 and 40 domestic flights annually with at least half of those legs at B fares or higher. My mileage yield was always in the upper 30 cent/mile range (38 cents) or more (low 50 cent/mile) when I was invited to UGS. If a M+ member does not come close to this benchmark (as well as others listed in prior threads) they can forget about invitation.

Old Aug 4, 2006, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by elitetraveler
UGS is offered to CEOs (or C-Level Executives/Board of Directors) of major corporate accounts (even if they don't fly commercially or with United) to ensure when the fly UA they will get the highest level of attention in case their asst. or whomever forgets to personally request the VIP attention. The reason is if the CEO of a major corporate account or a major influencer gets bad service, a big chunk of revenue could be at risk for UA. They also invite top executives of key partners. For example, if Hotel Chain X is a MP partner, chances are the VP-Mktg is UGS. In this case, UA wants to ensure that key partners always get the best possible experience. That way, when they are at a cocktail party and a regular 1k is b*tching about how UA s*cks, they can retort I only fly UA once in awhile but it's always terrific.

I heard a UA exec at a conf a couple years ago talking about UGS and he mentioned they at that time ran a daily or weekly report (for top sales and marketing management) that flagged any flights with UGSs that had delays/cancellations so they could proactively reach out to them and make sure they were handled properly (i.e. - We know Mr. CEOs flight from SFO to NRT was cancelled but just wanted to check and make sure his flight on JL was OK).
I certainly do not fit this mold but have been UGS 3 out of 4 years. A great many people earn UGS simply by spending a significant amount to fly UA. Often times this is a result of the business these members are involved in. To simply state that UGS is the VIP/CEO comp program is simply not entirely accurate.
Old Aug 4, 2006, 5:33 pm

Programs: Lots
UGS is top 1% of United's customers plus certain key influencers, celebrities, etc. No voodoo magic.
Old Aug 4, 2006, 5:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K+MM, HH DIA, Marriott G, Hertz 5*
Slightly off-topic, but in 2000 or 2001 (I forget) when I was travelling SFO->CDG once or twice a month in J, I was at I think 75K EQMs for the year and they gave me 1K status "based on revenue". I guess if I had kept going on that, I probably would have got UGS.
Old Aug 4, 2006, 6:00 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by twenex
Slightly off-topic, but in 2000 or 2001 (I forget) when I was travelling SFO->CDG once or twice a month in J, I was at I think 75K EQMs for the year and they gave me 1K status "based on revenue". I guess if I had kept going on that, I probably would have got UGS.
Confused a bit. GS started in 2003.
Old Aug 4, 2006, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Confused a bit. GS started in 2003.
Guess twenex meant that UGS would have been granted if he kept going on that through 2003.
Old Aug 4, 2006, 6:17 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by iapetus
Guess twenex meant that UGS would have been granted if he kept going on that through 2003.
That could be one interpretation.
Old Aug 4, 2006, 7:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Axey
UGS is top 1% of United's customers plus certain key influencers, celebrities, etc. No voodoo magic.
If there are 20,000 UGS members as has been noted, this math doesnt work. 30 million MP members means 300,000 UGS under your formula. Maybe it's the top 1/10th of 1 percent?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.