Six Transpacs in Five Days. HELP ME!

Old Apr 17, 2006, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Talking Six Transpacs in Five Days. HELP ME!

So, thanks to some awesome FT'ers in another thread that pointed out the wonderful mistake in the KIX-ICN flight (allowed connection in SFO in F for just 40K miles ^ ), I am booked for a straight turnaround. The insane part is, I live in the US and am going to do a straight turnaround. After calling res. they have promised to honor this fare, but told me 100 times that I can't skip any of the segments. My routing will be like this (layovers are always those after the listed flight):

ORD-KIX (revenue upgraded to C)- 18 hour layover
KIX-SFO (award F)- 5 hour layover
SFO-ICN (award F)- 18 hour layover
ICN-SFO (award F)- 5 hour layover
SFO-KIX (award F)- 2 hour layover (aircraft turnaround, I believe)
KIX-ORD (revenue upgraded to C)

So, for 40K miles and a little over $1K for the revenue ticket, I will be doing six transpacific flights in five days, living off of nothing but airline food, and sleeping in nothing but airplanes and airports. Some may say this is insane, but I think it is going to be fun, and something I will not forget for a long, long, long, long time.

So, here come the questions:

1. I am still a minor, and believe that I officially have to be 18 to use the lounges. I have flown internationally on my own several times in the past, and have not had a problem. If I am a 1K, don't look like I am seven years old, act relatively mature, and have an F ticket, do you think I will be let into the SFO IFL and Arrivals Lounge? Would it help if I call them and ask them?

2. For the flights that have long layovers, I am sure that I will have to go landside, because of clearing immigration. I assume that there is a way that I could check in 18 hours early for my flight so that I can pass security again and go to the lounges? Otherwise, are any of the lounges landside, in case they don't let me past security?

3. What lounges would I be entitled to use in KIX and ICN as an F passenger on UA, and what can be recommended? Since I have some relatively lengthy layovers, are there any lounges in either of these cities which are open 24 hours? I know the ICN Singapore Lounge is open till about 9PM and opens up again at around 6:30AM, but is there anything I can use inbetween? Any sleeping advice at either of these airports (either way, I plan on sleeping on the flights and in the lounge sleeping areas, so not at night, just to be safe)? I can't seem to find any info on the TG and OZ lounges in ICN, so would appreciate any help.

4. Since the one way award is KIX-SFO-ICN, will I be issued both BP's, or do I have to check in again in SFO? I have never had any problems getting a BP for the entire one way, but this seems like it could be a problem.

5. Along the same lines, will I have any problems obtaining the BP's for my return or my revenue ticket? On the return my aircraft has a two hour turnaround, and the tickets are on different PNR's, so what is the best way of approaching this? Is there any way that I could get my BP at another station?

6. Does anyone have any experience clearing customs in either KIX or ICN? Is it fairly efficient?

7. Is there any chance that I will run into any trouble with either UA or immigration? While there is an award flight inbetween a revenue flight, it is not to the same destination, so should be legal, right? The agent on the phone assured me that this would be honored, so I am hoping that it is.

I don't expect any person to answer all of these, but I would appreciate any help or comments.

Thanks,
lucky
Old Apr 17, 2006, 6:02 pm

AWESOME

Hopefully you'll meet some people as interesting as yourself.

GL ^

JJ

PS. Sorry I cant help you with any of the ?'s
Old Apr 17, 2006, 6:05 pm

Programs: UA 1P, HH DMD, SPG PLT, Hertz 5*
First of all, with all due respect, WHY?!? I can understand why people would do this if they found some cheap fare that would get them a ton of EQMs, but this is just sitting on a plane, BURNING miles, for no apparent purpose...

I guess if it makes you happy, then more power to you!!

Personally, I might have gone with an option that would let me travel around a little bit and see the area a bit instead of just seeing the inside of an airplane, but sitting in F might make it all worth while! Hope that it's as fun as you think it will be!
Old Apr 17, 2006, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jcasner
First of all, with all due respect, WHY?!? I can understand why people would do this if they found some cheap fare that would get them a ton of EQMs, but this is just sitting on a plane, BURNING miles, for no apparent purpose...

Personally, I might have gone with an option that would let me travel around a little bit and see the area a bit instead of just seeing the inside of an airplane, but sitting in F might make it all worth while! Hope that it's as fun as you think it will be!
Well, that is a good question which I have asked myself all day. At the end of the day, I am only down about 10K miles (or less), and a little over $1K. Actually, it may even be cheaper, since I have absolutely no expenses. When it comes down to it, I am a minor, and usually like to travel with my family. I am actually going to ICN in June anyway, so I will have a chance to "preview" the airport. This is just a nice way to enjoy the F suite, and to have an out of the ordinary experience. Like I said, this is something which I will remember for a long time, and must be close to setting a record.

I guess the eccentricy of it just intrigues me...
Old Apr 17, 2006, 6:11 pm

Lucky, I am just going to say that you are so lucky.

I didn't know you were 18> !!!, which takes the fun out of going to IFL and what not on board...

Well, I will have to keep searching for that lucrative ICN-KIX award.

Lastly, I have to say that it is waste of time for me (just a personal opinion, so don't take it personally) just to take advantage of 40K F award KIX-SFO-ICN. My threshold for doing such "crazy" thing is when I am actually traveling to the destination with a purpose and somehow great deal!! like this comes up.
Old Apr 17, 2006, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jcasner

PS: I do 100K miles worth of mileage runs a year, so sitting on a plane going nowhere is nothing new to me. I really enjoy it, but am usually only in International C or Domestic First. When I burn miles, it is usually for partner premium cabins, so I rarely get to experience UA international F.
Old Apr 17, 2006, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brahms77
I didn't know you were 18> !!!, which takes the fun out of going to IFL and what not on board...
At least there is no age limit for hot nuts (or the cold ones in the IFL ).
Old Apr 17, 2006, 6:17 pm

My favorite part of flying in international F is that I get very nice treatment on the ground. IFL and at check in.

I noticed that at NRT, international F passagers do get very distinguished ground service compared to say, C passegers. IFL, special IFL invitation that is prepared before you arrive at the airport, etc. These things although it may seem "little details" makes me feel very special.

Anyway, enjoy your flights! Get your homework done.... wait, aren't you on vacation then?! hehehe... watch alot of movies on personal video.
Old Apr 17, 2006, 6:18 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Three pieces of advice:

1. Lay low - do not bring any unnecessary attention to yourself. Asking loads of questions, being a "see me, see me, I'm all alone and I'm young" begs for further questioning and could present problems in one way or another.

2. Make sure you have a notarized letter signed by your parents that you carry with your passport saying that you are permitted to travel and they know you're travelling (this is a "just in case") type of document. Again, do not bring it up if you are not asked for it.

3. As far as lounges are concerned, if you are flying on a F ticket then you are allowed to use the International F lounges. If you are unable to find it on your own then ask a UA agent. Not sure that they are all open for the 18 hours you have a layover.
Old Apr 17, 2006, 6:20 pm

Now, lucky, this is my threshold of doing MR. check it out.

http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=547853
Old Apr 17, 2006, 6:22 pm

well for the IFL thing I have been denied access to the IFL because of my age. A few times actually. Don't show them your id because they seem to always check that.

Also I have needed a letter to travel lately as well. Last week my 17 yr old bro needed one to go to mexico. Make sure you have it or you won't be leaving the airport until they contact your parents adn get a faxed consent!

have fun!! thats my kind of trip. i also didn't know you were >18. ^

if you have any other questions regarding immigration as a minor don't hesitate to ask...i have a lotta experience (good and bad) with that!
Old Apr 17, 2006, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
PS: I do 100K miles worth of mileage runs a year
Do you ever get on a plane because you actually have to be somewhere?
Old Apr 17, 2006, 6:26 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
I kinda like this idea. Young and free and just because.. ^
Old Apr 17, 2006, 6:29 pm

Lucky, one advice.... while I highly doubt that you are flying 100K a year just to get the status, but I think those $ can be invested better than just to fly for miles, status, and to nowhere. Considering that you spend about 3~5K (which is very very very very low for 1K spending) to get to 100K, those 3~5K can be well invested to get better return.

Anyway, enjoy F-suite.
Old Apr 17, 2006, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by blort
Do you ever get on a plane because you actually have to be somewhere?
Well, I never "have" to go anywhere, but I do travel to actually see places a lot as well. All of my family is from Germany, so I go there at least three times a year. Not all of my mileage runs are pure mileage runs. For example, last year I made a trip to HKG and SGN, where I stayed for four days. Also, I like to use my miles to see more parts of the world using the miles I earn, allowing me to make more layovers and travel in F.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.