Wiki Posts
Search

MP Credit Card "Compromised"

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2006, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroflot BONUS, UA Mileage Plus, VG Flying Club
MP Credit Card "Compromised"

After some recent travel, I noticed my Mileage Plus card was being declined (although I had called ahead of time to inform Chase that I would be traveling). When I called customer service, they did see the note in the system indicating that I would be traveling, but they stated that my card had been "compromised" and would be terminated. Supposedly, a new card is coming my way.

Since there were no bogus charges on my account, the problem was not fraudulent charges. All I can think of is that some number of cards were in a database that had been hacked into.
Old Mar 31, 2006, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K;
???? They owe you a more detailed explanation. I would call and ask for mangagement in the security department and ask to be advised as to what personal information may have been "compromised".
Old Mar 31, 2006, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by Explorer8939
After some recent travel, I noticed my Mileage Plus card was being declined (although I had called ahead of time to inform Chase that I would be traveling). When I called customer service, they did see the note in the system indicating that I would be traveling, but they stated that my card had been "compromised" and would be terminated. Supposedly, a new card is coming my way.

Since there were no bogus charges on my account, the problem was not fraudulent charges. All I can think of is that some number of cards were in a database that had been hacked into.
I had those idiots freeze my card multiple times... How embarassing is it getting DECLINED on a $10 purchase? I had to stand and call up and get them to unblock it. Luckily it wasn't "compromised" (whatever that means) and I didn't have to be issued a new one. But for a while.. every few transactions required an unblock call.
Old Mar 31, 2006, 9:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Gold
You absolutely have a right to know exactly what they mean by "compromised". If you have no fraudulent charges, I do not see any reason why they should terminate your card. I would call back and get a supervisor.
Old Mar 31, 2006, 10:24 pm

Programs: AA GLD, soon-to-be PLT in 2 weeks!
I get daily e-mails from Chase about my online account be "compromised" and to change my password. I do that almost every day and the next day I get the same e-mail.

I wrote in to Chase to ask why my account was "compromised" and they have not replied yet (I sent in the e-mail on Thursday).
Old Mar 31, 2006, 10:44 pm

Programs: MP Platinum
Originally Posted by 777-DCA
I get daily e-mails from Chase about my online account be "compromised" and to change my password. I do that almost every day and the next day I get the same e-mail.

I wrote in to Chase to ask why my account was "compromised" and they have not replied yet (I sent in the e-mail on Thursday).

Probably because the computer sees someone keeps changing the password...
Old Mar 31, 2006, 10:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA PE, Delta Gold

I sure hope that you are verifying that these are legitimate Chase emails and not fraudelent ones to capture your password....There are a lot of those coming my way these days..
Old Apr 1, 2006, 2:36 am

Originally Posted by lasvegasflyer
I sure hope that you are verifying that these are legitimate Chase emails and not fraudelent ones to capture your password....There are a lot of those coming my way these days..
^ :-: ^
Old Apr 1, 2006, 4:18 am

Same thing happened to me recently but not with a UA card. I had my Washington Mutual debit card cancelled while I was out of the country, still after 11 days I don't have a new ATM/debit card, I was told by Wamu that a huge number of cards were deemed a security risk but they couldn't tell me any more details. I would think as a "valued" customer they would have at least called me since they have all my details, this was unknown to me as I didn't try to use the card until 4 days after they cancelled it. I got home last night and went to my branch today, they were no help in getting me a new card quickly so I withdrew a significant amount in cash (much to the dismay of the manager) and opened a Wachovia account.

They promised me a new card today and the mail comes in a few hours, I told them I will continue to do business with the bank if it comes today but if not I will be back for the rest of my money and because of the inconvenience I want it all in cash. I have a six figure relationship with the bank, if they were sweating my first withdrawal today they will be calling HQ for this one. I will know today.
Old Apr 1, 2006, 4:40 am

Programs: UAL MM, BA G
Exclamation

That is totally a phishing expedition. You need to call Chase and cancel your card now. http://www.chase.com/cm/cs?pagename=..._emergency.jsp
Old Apr 1, 2006, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1P 1MM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by lasvegasflyer
vegas is right ... its called phishing and happens ALL the time. The following link provides examples of e-mails from the bad guys. I received example #1 the other day.
Old Apr 1, 2006, 6:00 am

Programs: Lots
I still can't believe people actually fall for these e-mails.
Old Apr 1, 2006, 6:04 am

Programs: MP Platinum
Originally Posted by Derek
That is totally a phishing expedition. You need to call Chase and cancel your card now. http://www.chase.com/cm/cs?pagename=..._emergency.jsp

DING DING DING DING!!!!

I hope you didn't follow the link in the email. If you independently typed the URL and went to the real website you are probably ok.
Old Apr 1, 2006, 7:25 am

Programs: UA MM1K,AA EXP
RE:compromised cards

A lot of those emails are phishing. But. . . if you don't tell Chase you'll be out of the country, and which countries are correct, they do start blocking international charges, and then you have to go through all sorts of rigamarole with them. And it doesn't seem to matter, how many times you've made the same charges in the same countries in the past; their computer just doesn't get it.
Old Apr 1, 2006, 7:38 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by TechGeek
I was told by Wamu that a huge number of cards were deemed a security risk but they couldn't tell me any more details.
There's been a lot of press on this the last few weeks. You might look at :
Worldwide Wave of Debit Card Fraud as a start, and more recent developments (arrests by Secret Service): Arrests Made in Debit Card Fraud Case

I received spam e-mail from someone alleging to be Chase this week asking me to log on, and I don't even have an account there. I would not click any links that come via e-mail, as they are likely capturing your account information to defraud you and the bank. I get several of these a week, and they're just pooling assorted e-mail addresses hoping to get someone with an account at the institution they pretend to be to respond.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.