FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger-504/)
-   -   Question: difference between stop over and open jaw (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger/500134-question-difference-between-stop-over-open-jaw.html)

lkohawaii Dec 4, 2005 9:58 pm

Question: difference between stop over and open jaw

I'm new to all this mileage redeption. I read and MP says on a saver award I'm allowed one stopover en route or one open jaw. Someone please explain what an open jaw is.

Maybe somebody can help me. I'm willing to redeem standard award level if I have to. This is what I want to do...
HNL-SFO
SFO-LAS
LAS-LAX
LAX-HNL
I would like to stay in these cities for a few days so I know it can't be considered a connecting flight. I'm trying to figure out how many miles it will cost me to do this or if it's more economical for me just to pay for a flight between cities. Someone please advise me on the most economical way to do this. Thanks.

qasr Dec 4, 2005 10:01 pm

You are trying to stop 3 times, but you are only allowed two. The destination, plus 1 stopover.

I would book my award:
HNL-SFO (stopover)
SFO-LAX (destination)
LAX-HNL

And buy a seperate LAX-LAS-LAX which are very cheap on Ted.

mahasamatman Dec 4, 2005 10:03 pm

Technically, an open jaw is A-B-C where A-C is shorter than either A-B or B-C. For example, SFO-JFO-LAX is an open jaw, as would be JFK-SFO/LAX-JFK (where you would have to travel SFO-LAX on your own).

In your example, LAS is your destination, so you can stay there as long as you want. With your one stopover, you could stay over in either SFO or LAX, but not both. If you want to stay over in all three cities, you could do as qasr suggests or book two open jaw awards: HNL-SFO/LAX-HNL and SFO-LAS-LAX. The SFO-LAS-LAX award is only 15,000 miles through the end of the year - we haven't heard if they're extending the short-haul awards yet.

lkohawaii Dec 4, 2005 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
book two open jaw awards: HNL-SFO/LAX-HNL and SFO-LAS-LAX. The SFO-LAS-LAX award is only 15,000 miles through the end of the year - we haven't heard if they're extending the short-haul awards yet.

mahasmatman-O.K. I kind of understand this...how many miles would these 2 open jaws cost me. MP states one open jaw...you have more experience so maybe I'm interpreting wrong. On a regular round trip originating out of Hawaii it's 35,000. So, would that be 2-35,000 and 1 -15,000 totaling 85,000. Sorry for so many questions....just trying to figure out how to do this. I'm booking for spring 2007...so I have to book spring2006. I just have to figure out what to tell the rep...now that all of you have been posting about "India" I have to make sure I really know what I'm doing. Thanks.

quasr-I fully understand what you're saying and will look into those Ted flights.

lkohawaii Dec 4, 2005 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by qasr
You are trying to stop 3 times, but you are only allowed two. The destination, plus 1 stopover.

I would book my award:
HNL-SFO (stopover)
SFO-LAX (destination)
LAX-HNL

And buy a seperate LAX-LAS-LAX which are very cheap on Ted.

I looked into the TED flights. What would happen if I went I booked like above...but didn't fly the SFO-LAX segment? I'm thinking of buying a Ted ticket for SFO-LAS-LAX. That way I wouldn't have to fly back and fourth would that work? Or would United not let me come homw on the LAX-HNL segment.

All of you have been such a big help thank you.

james84 Dec 4, 2005 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by lkohawaii
I looked into the TED flights. What would happen if I went I booked like above...but didn't fly the SFO-LAX segment? I'm thinking of buying a Ted ticket for SFO-LAS-LAX. That way I wouldn't have to fly back and fourth would that work? Or would United not let me come homw on the LAX-HNL segment.

All of you have been such a big help thank you.

you can book HNL-SFO/LAX-HNL with an open-jaw btw SFO and LAX. that should solve your problem and flying back and forth. :)

Beerman92 Dec 4, 2005 11:01 pm

I like quasr's idea. Not only is an LAX-LAS-LAX ticket cheap, you could also "GASP" drive that in about 4 hours each way if TED wasn't cooperating.

WindFlyer Dec 4, 2005 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by james84
you can book HNL-SFO/LAX-HNL with an open-jaw btw SFO and LAX. that should solve your problem and flying back and forth. :)

You could certainly do that, and Ted it (RAR!) SFO-LAS-LAX, although that will typically run you more money than a straight LAX-LAS r/t.

Also, if you're not a 1K, it'll cost you more money to book the HNL-SFO/LAX-HNL open jaw, as you won't be able to do it online and will have to speak with a human :eek: (kching!)

lkohawaii Dec 4, 2005 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by WindFlyer
You could certainly do that, and Ted it (RAR!) SFO-LAS-LAX, although that will typically run you more money than a straight LAX-LAS r/t.

Also, if you're not a 1K, it'll cost you more money to book the HNL-SFO/LAX-HNL open jaw, as you won't be able to do it online and will have to speak with a human :eek: (kching!)

Thanks everybody....I'm not a 1 K member...just a little fish in the big pond. I was planning on paying to speak to a person no matter what because we have 6 in our party and know we will have to split up.

Whoever told me to drive 4 hours...that's a bit far when you live on a sunny island that you can drive around the whole thing in 2 :p . I'll look into all these wonderful ideas you've given me...and watch once I figure it out I can't get a seat when March comes.

O.K. so now I've got to figure out if it's more economical for me to do the open jaw
HNL SFO
SFO HNL and buy a Ted ticket...or

I think if I understand all this I can do an open jaw
HNL SFO
SFO HNL and use
15,000 miles to go sfo-las-lax
Is that right? I have miles to burn so if I can do this I think I'm going to use those miles.

Thanks again everybody. This is like a game to outsmart the system. :eek:

iwillflytheworld Dec 4, 2005 11:53 pm

The 15K promo is valid only through the end of 2005. There's no way to know if anything like that will be available in the Spring of 2007. A regular 25K saver award LAX-LAS-LAX (or SFO-LAS-LAX) does look like a waste of miles for such a cheap flight and short distance.

Btw, HNL-SFO/LAX-HNL would be only 35K, not 35K x 2.

lkohawaii Dec 4, 2005 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by peter11
Redeem Saver Awards from 15,000 miles
United Saver Awards from 15,000 miles
Dates: July 15 through December 31, 2005
Offer: Redeem 15,000 miles for a United Economy®, roundtrip Saver Award or 30,000 miles for a United First® or United Business® roundtrip Saver Award. Valid for use on United, United Express® and TedSM nonstop flights that are 750 air miles or less, each way. Online offer only. View all qualifying markets.
Get started now: To book reduced award travel and redeem your miles for a Saver Award ticket, visit united.com.
Terms and Conditions: 15,000 miles for Economy Saver Award space, or 30,000 miles for First Class (2-cabin) or Business Class (3-cabin) Saver Award space, valid on short-haul, non-stop flights within the 48 contiguous states and between U.S and Canada. Short-haul flights are defined as flights with a length up to and including 750 air miles each way. Offer is only valid on United®, TedSM and United Express® operated flights, but not to flights operated by other airlines (such as United-marketed code share and Star Alliance® flights). Roundtrip travel is required. If you choose to use an award for one-way travel, no residual credit will be issued for unused segments. No stopovers permitted. Offer is valid for travel from July 15, 2005 to December 31, 2005. All travel must be completed by December 31, 2005. All ticketing must be made through united.com. For complete terms and conditions visit united.com/reducedawardterms.

Would this promotion apply to a flight SFO-LAS-LAX.
I just read carefully no stopover...is there any way I could fanagle this one?
I think I would have to go SFO-LAS-SFO like quasr suggested. I was hoping someone could think of another way...maybe not. Maybe I better think about driving.

itsme Dec 5, 2005 1:56 am

Originally Posted by Beerman92
I like quasr's idea. Not only is an LAX-LAS-LAX ticket cheap, you could also "GASP" drive that in about 4 hours each way if TED wasn't cooperating.

I was going to point out that he would also benefit from the West Coast promo with such a ticket, but then realized it will be over before OP travels. Well, there is still the 1,000 RDM and EQM to be gained with the LAX-LAS-LAX ticket.