Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

What you like/dislike about what UA Pilots do (need some feedback)

Old Nov 14, 2005, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1K (2MM)

I'm giving a talk later this week with some UA pilots and the basis of it is to give an idea of what people in the back like/dislike etc and what they think that they can do better. I have my list already but I would love to hear from other people on some things that I can talk about with the pilots! THANKS!
Scott
Old Nov 14, 2005, 5:57 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by zabes64
I'm giving a talk later this week with some UA pilots and the basis of it is to give an idea of what people in the back like/dislike etc and what they think that they can do better. I have my list already but I would love to hear from other people on some things that I can talk about with the pilots! THANKS!
Scott
Channel 9, Channel 9, Channel 9. That and E+ are the main reasons I fly UA. Even better would be if we could hear the cockpit/ramp communications as well...
Old Nov 14, 2005, 6:03 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood
What United Pilots say.

The pilots sometimes announce, Baseball (Red-sox) scores, if the game is going during the flight.
Especially during the playoffs, or the World Series.
Old Nov 14, 2005, 6:14 pm

Programs: UA 1KUGS, AA Plat., SPG Plat., Hertz Five*
Announcements on the weather and arrival time.

Clear explanations of the flight conditions, especially since its winter (e.g. flight attendants will be asked to hold drink service for 1 hour until we clear the rough patch).

Enabling Ch.9

Thanking frequent fliers and choosing United.

Do not make me feel guilty about the fuel cost per passenger, I usually pay Y or B or Z fares. However, interesting facts about flying and plane load, weight, speed, fuel capacity, fuel burn, landing speed shared over Ch.9 is nice.
Old Nov 14, 2005, 6:16 pm

Programs: UA Plat 2MM, AA CK, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, KAL MC, Hyatt Globalist, Sixt Plat, Hertz PC
Channel 9 and en route weather briefing. E.g. when and where to expect turbulence and bad weather. Love the captain coming into F to explain the routing and give general briefing on international flights.
Old Nov 14, 2005, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
As prior posts indicate, the request would be to remember that even up front they are in the customer service business. Channel 9 is an incredible tool not only for us FT geeks, but as others have posted before when pilots use CH 9 to talk to the passengers. Many still remember the days when the pilot would take a walk through the cabin during the flight to say hello to people. Apparently they can't do that now (security?), but things like CH 9 communications, sending back personal notes to FFs on their business cards, having the cockpit open during boarding AND deplaning, and just generally letting passengers know that the pilot knows they exist would go a long way toward earning frequent customers.
Old Nov 14, 2005, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DISLIKES
1. Sound sincere in what you say, not just because you have to. Everything from "thanks" to "welcome on board." Don't sound like you're forced to say something.

2. A sense of humor. I'm not saying every flight should be open mike night, but when you hear an FO saying the pushback is being delayed due to a malfunction to the machine that ruins and/or delays your bags...others can find some humor in some other aspect of flying.

3. Low volume. Some people want to hear you.

1. Pilots who invite folks to tune into Channel 9 to hear detail about the flight, the plane itself and technology.

2. Pilots who take the time to write "thank you" notes on the backs of their business cards, handed out during the flights to GS and 1Kers.

3. Pilots who have come out and shook hands with folks in the cabin prior to pushback. Earlier this year, there was a Captain who shook all the hands of everyone in F and C on a 777 IAD-DEN flight that was delayed about 15 minutes from pushback.
Old Nov 14, 2005, 6:26 pm

Programs: NorthSails® | Starboard | ION
Add me to the Channel 9 list; everything else (in ATC jargon ) is PD (pilot's discretion for the 'uninitiated' ).
Old Nov 14, 2005, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
I like it when the pilots greet the passengers at the door (mighty rare, but always a treat) and when they put Channel 9 on.

I dislike it when they don't put Channel 9 on.
Old Nov 14, 2005, 7:00 pm

Programs: GS MM United, Hilton Diamond, ICH Gold, Mariott Silver, TWA Plat MM (just for old times sake)
Originally Posted by SEA_Tigger
I like it when the pilots greet the passengers at the door (mighty rare, but always a treat) and when they put Channel 9 on.

I dislike it when they don't put Channel 9 on.
+1 on Sea_Tigger Also the ones that tell the truth about the delays- especially when Maintenance gets brought in.

Programs: AS MVP, WN A-List+ UA Silver, HH <>, National EE, WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by LessO2
DISLIKES
1. Sound sincere in what you say, not just because you have to. Everything from "thanks" to "welcome on board." Don't sound like you're forced to say something.

2. A sense of humor. I'm not saying every flight should be open mike night, but when you hear an FO saying the pushback is being delayed due to a malfunction to the machine that ruins and/or delays your bags...others can find some humor in some other aspect of flying.

1. Pilots who invite folks to tune into Channel 9 to hear detail about the flight, the plane itself and technology.

2. Pilots who take the time to write "thank you" notes on the backs of their business cards, handed out during the flights to GS and 1Kers.

3. Pilots who have come out and shook hands with folks in the cabin prior to pushback. Earlier this year, there was a Captain who shook all the hands of everyone in F and C on a 777 IAD-DEN flight that was delayed about 15 minutes from pushback.
Absolutley 100% what LessO2 said. Give us Ch 9 - it's why many of us choose UA. I think airline pilots are big-time pros, and I love hearing them operate!
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
PUT # 9 on! Dont make us ask FA's to get it turned on!

Some humor is always good with in flight talk... More information about plane weights etc on Channel 9 would be nice... Just tell them not to be like AC pilots and all is WELL!
Old Nov 14, 2005, 7:02 pm

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
Channel 9. Channel 9. Channel 9.

I hate it when I put on my headphones and hear jazz music (or something else), instead. As others FT's pointed out, it would be nice if the pilot would share technological information on Ch9 during the flight and if we could hear ramp comm.
Old Nov 14, 2005, 7:19 pm

Programs: UA-1K-MM AA-EXP-MM
Originally Posted by LessO2
DISLIKES

I think lessO2 has it exactly right. I would add if a pilot feels he can't have channel 9 on, I'd like him to explain why it can't be on during his PA annoucement. I hate it when FAs say captain XXX does allow channel 9 we don't know why
Old Nov 14, 2005, 7:52 pm

Programs: UA dirt... and btw, THE innovator of the phrase 'gate lice'. Yeah, that's right.
1. If we're sitting on the ground for an extended period of time, don't leave us hanging w/no info on why. That is completely frustrating.

2. Speak loudly and clearly on the PA. The PA is hard enouhg to make out sometimes... don't exacerbate it by mumbling or speaking too low.

3. I like when the pilots meet the passengers at the door when deplaning. I always make a point to give a sincere thank you to them.

4. I like when the pilots offer to answer questions on ch. 9.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.