Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Is This Person a Flyer Talker (aka, the 'Mr. Pillows' Thread)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is This Person a Flyer Talker (aka, the 'Mr. Pillows' Thread)?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2005, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
A Boeing Business Jet 2, with the extra tanks, should also be able to hit anywhere.

Maybe it is Peter Griffin? He built forts out of pillows in Economy in the Season Two episode "Dammit Janet".
Old Aug 1, 2005, 5:17 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
I'd say keep Mr. Pillows happy. The guy's paying full fare for a product that the company really doesn't expect many to pay that kind of money for; the true value of an F seat is nowhere close to list price, given how many are sold at substantial discount and how many are the result of opportunistic (be it miles or op-up) upgrades.

Mr. Pillows (and the few other full-fare F folk) are essentially subsidizing the rest of us, allowing us to fly more cheaply than would otherwise be the case. Even with his pillows & blankets & special milk, UA is still making a whole lot more money off him than they ever will the rest of us.

Calling it blackmail (saying that, if UA no longer offered the product, he'd go elsewhere) is a bit silly, given that many here have said that, if UA does the AA thing and offers LLTC (less legroom throughout coach, by getting rid of E+), they'd go elsewhere. That's a normal customer/supplier relationship.

As long as Mr. Pillows isn't too disruptive to normal operations, I think it's great. I don't have any customers like Mr. Pillows, but then I'm not set up to offer that sort of product either. For United to be able to offer everything from E- to what Mr. Pillows gets is, to me, a very impressive accomplishment.
Old Aug 1, 2005, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

In response to those guessing what flight this was...

I don't know what flight or route this was. However I am pretty sure (it's an anonymous discussion board) the F/A who made the post is based in ORD so I would guess it is one of the int'l flights to or from ORD.
Old Aug 1, 2005, 5:21 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by Bear96
In response to those guessing what flight this was...

I don't know what flight or route this was. However I am pretty sure (it's an anonymous discussion board) the F/A who made the post is based in ORD so I would guess it is one of the int'l flights to or from ORD.
I am hoping that this whole thing about "Mr. Pillow" isn't a sham.
Old Aug 1, 2005, 5:28 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Basically, that's it.
Not demanding...but extremely vigilant at the beginning, about whether everything was just as he expected it to be.
Didn't even eat.
I know it's a great thing, to be able to cater to some upper echelon customers' special needs, but here's the problem with it:

In truth, this is a time bomb, waiting to happen.
When expectations are set so high, it isn't about 'brand loyalty' anymore.
It's blackmail.
I'll stay with you, until the inevitable day when you screw it all up...and then, I'll throw the hissy fit I've been holding back all this time, and take my business elsewhere.

I think that's how that story will inevitably end.
JMHO, but it's a high-wire act, ill-suited to commercial airlines.
OMG, quit your whining and take the man's damn money will ya? You're lucky he chose UA and from the sound of things, he's your customer to lose. Don't screw it up.
Old Aug 1, 2005, 5:37 pm

Programs: "I COME FROM Des Moines. Somebody had to." -- Bill Bryson
Originally Posted by colourmix
Range, for one. Sticking with the NRT-SFO hypothesis, I dont think private jets can make transpac flights non-stop, can they? ...
Both the G3 and G4 with special equipment could make the trip. I long ago worked for an entertainment company whose CEO had the corporate G3 outfitted with everything it needed to fly non-stop from the LA to Peking.
Old Aug 1, 2005, 5:43 pm

Programs: Marriott PLT, Starwood, American Gold, Delta
Bear - Since you have access to the United FA Board, did you hear/see any discussions about the death of the flight attendant on the plane in Ottawa?
Old Aug 1, 2005, 5:43 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by Spiff
OMG, quit your whining and take the man's damn money will ya? You're lucky he chose UA and from the sound of things, he's your customer to lose. Don't screw it up.
Thank you Bear96 for this amusing vignette. I couldn't stop laughing about "Mr. Pillows"! But I have to agree with Spiff - United needs full fare F customers. If giving him his pillows and milk keeps him happy, then that's cheap at the price. After all, he's not demanding Dom Perignon!
Old Aug 1, 2005, 5:46 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
If you are flying solo it is SOOOOOOOO much cheaper to do domestic or(especially)international first than a time share/fractionalownership "private jet.
Private long range jets are for the very foolish and extremely wealthy.Or for the Exec.who likes to rip-off his shareholders/investors/customers with his "entitlement "toys.
My boss did a 1/3 investment(bought 2"time shares")in a fractional ownership deal.He really had to justify it-and flew Southwest Vegas-Burbank if he was by himself.If he was with his wife-family then he would use the jet.He was very wealthy-just realistic about cost=benefit.
Old Aug 1, 2005, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
What do you think he does with his miles?

Can't imagine him trying to get a reward flight booked !! Making a call to check the availability!! and yep i doubt it that he is a FT. Thats why we are here for aren't we? To save money and get the upgrade for free ?
Old Aug 1, 2005, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by Wiggums
Wow... only if they had special instructions for me!

Wiggums is a very special customer. Upon boarding, he wants an FA to read him a good bed story. He likes iced oatmeal cookies with warm milk before he sleeps. Do not forget to make sure his nuts are warmed at precisely 125°F. Handle his nuts gently, with two hands if possible, as he hates having his nuts rattled.
I do not want my nuts warmed to 125°F unless a sauna is involved. I agree with the rest.
Old Aug 1, 2005, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
It doesn't sound like Mr. Pillows is all that demanding during the flight as was stated by the FA. Some coach passengers are more demanding during the flight and pay a whole heck of a lot less than Mr. Tempur-Pedic.
Old Aug 1, 2005, 6:15 pm

Programs: MP Platinum
EZE-ORD is 14K RT in F, which oddly enough is LESS than EZE-LHR and LHR-ORD combined (7K + 6.5K).

It doesn't sound like this guy is testing the envelope since he has a "standing" request, but if I was paying full fare F, i'd be asking for the bowl of blue M&Ms one flight, and red ones on the next just to see what would happen....At a certain level getting pampered is a sport.
Old Aug 1, 2005, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wintersummer
Bear - Since you have access to the United FA Board, did you hear/see any discussions about the death of the flight attendant on the plane in Ottawa?
Have heard nothing about that, and I just checked the F/A board (actually there are two) and nothing is mentioned.

UA doesn't fly to Ottawa. Did a flight get diverted there or something? (Or was it UX?)
Old Aug 1, 2005, 6:23 pm

Bear96 & Mr. Pillows

Look, you just can't go making stuff up like that. LMAO!

M8

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.