Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

New UA Promo: Redeem miles for your United flight discount

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New UA Promo: Redeem miles for your United flight discount

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2005, 8:42 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Gold, HH Silver
1750 for $25

I'm a 1P on the way to 1K (80k EQM this year with 22K booked). I have about 115k in the bank.

I got the $25 cert for 1750 miles. Unfortunately I probably won't use it as the only personal travel I'll book this year is international and it can't be used there.

Otherwise its a good offer though!
Old Jul 6, 2005, 8:58 am

Programs: DL-Plat, UA-Plat 2MM, AA-PlatPro, B6-Mosaic 3, AY-Plat, HY-Globalist, MR-LT Plat, HH-Gold
1K with just over 300k in the bank. Rec'd the 15,000 for $200 offer. I was really happy about this offer until I read the usual "some flights are not electronic certificate eligible" language. I agree with others that in the past this has rendered most of these certs useless. If you're using a form of "payment" instead of just a comp coupon or discount, I don't understand why these should not be treated as travel credits that are good on any fare. At the very least, they could exclude S,T fares to make it transparent rather than make us redeem miles with no clue as to whether we'd be able to use the cert. But really, using miles for discounts is a form of payment and should have no fare restrictions.

I will be curious to hear about whether others have more success with these certs - if so, I would be happy to cash in some miles for discounts that still award EQM's/RDM's.
Old Jul 6, 2005, 9:49 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I haven't received the offer yet... which is usual for MP promos for me it seems. I'm sure I'll find out which variant I have been targeted for in a day or so.

But anyway, I would actually find the discounts useful, depending on the price point in terms of miles ($25 off a $250 flight is nearly useless--I'll just use an Entertainment e-cert, or one of the 10% ones I've already gotten from UA). As I really hate to redeem miles for award travel due to the lack of earning miles--if UA would make standard awards eligible to earn EQMs, I might change my tune--and do so only when the cost of a flight I have to be on makes paying $$ out of the question. This is a way to get me to redeem miles for things other than u/g's on p.s. flights
Old Jul 6, 2005, 9:54 am

Programs: UA; DL;
Originally Posted by wharvey
Useless to me.

Here is mine and I am a 1K:

Dear William H Harvey,

As a valued member of United's Mileage Plus, you now have another unique way to redeem the miles you've earned. From July 5 to July 31, 2005, you can redeem 5,000 miles for a $50 e-Certificate off your next qualifying, roundtrip flight purchased on united.com with a minimum fare of $250 — excluding taxes and fees.
I got this one but without the minimum fare rule, just qualifying r/t fight.
Old Jul 6, 2005, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am 1 K. I received no offer.
Same here. No offer of any kind on this promo.
Old Jul 6, 2005, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
I was hoping to find something in my inbox this morning and nothing. I wonder how they targetted this promotion.
Old Jul 6, 2005, 11:45 am

Programs: MP Platinum
Variables in the experiment (so far):

Cert value: $25, $50, $100, $200

Miles/$: 40, 70, 100

Fare Restrictions: Economy only, Minimum Fare $250, No Minimum

Problem Points: One person allowed on itinerary, RT only, No International, CERT may not apply to may fares

Pluses: Can earn RDM/EQM, and be used with upgrades.
Old Jul 6, 2005, 11:49 am

Programs: United MM- Marriott Titanium - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum
Originally Posted by PremEx
Same here. No offer of any kind on this promo.
Glad to join this elite club.. nothing here neither..
Old Jul 6, 2005, 1:08 pm
Commander Catcop

Finally got my offer earlier this morning: 20,000 miles for a $200 voucher.

But it has a minimum $250 ticket purchase and only for US destinations.

If it was international it might be tempting. Don't know what I will do with it

Disappointed I'm not part of the the elite "no offer" group anymore
Old Jul 6, 2005, 1:28 pm

Since we're sharing:

I am Premier with 24k EQM this year, and 10k booked, 150k in the bank

$25 for 2500 miles

only one cert per flight - not combinable

Ticketing period: July 5, 2005 through October 31, 2005

Travel period: July 5, 2005 through January 31, 2006

No codeshares

This discount may be used on published United First® (F, A), United Business® (C, D, Z) or United Economy® class (Y, E, B, M, U, H, Q, V, W, S, T or L) fares for qualifying travel within the 50 United States Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands or Canada.

This discount may not be used on the following fare types: internet-only fares, companion, travel industry G class, contract, bulk, convention, tour conductor, children, family plan, government, group, military, senior citizen, student, youth, infant, tour basing, Round the World, Circle the Pacific, Visit USA, or any non-published fares.

No open-jaws.

Can only be used on united.com

You can get miles for discounted flights
Old Jul 6, 2005, 1:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
My spouse and child (both bumped down to Blue cards) got nothing as well. I'm a bit surprised...I'd figure they'd offer something to get those who have lost their way back on the wagon....after all they did get the "Great Offer 2005".
Old Jul 6, 2005, 5:45 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA 1K
1000 for $25

Originally Posted by LAX_FLR
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Seems to be the best value for your miles $0.014 per mile. Reardless of whether 3500/$50 cert (my offer) or 7000/$100 the economics is the same. Assuming I have 130.5 K miles in my account, and have three dom tickets to buy, which is more economical??? buy three tickets at 40K miles apeice or get three $50K e-certs and apply them toward the purchase price, (while earning miles).

Seems like a huge marketing experiment which may have ramifications beyond the expected...... or, just, revenge of the programmers.....

So, what is the value of 1 mile???
Boifromtroy posted 1000m for $25 seems like the best valued deal right now. Can you post the Code?
Old Jul 6, 2005, 5:48 pm

Programs: Life IS good !!! ®
Originally Posted by dcgators
7,000 miles for $100 off.
Funny thing is my offer has no fare minimum. My partner got his offer (7,000 miles for $100 off) but with $250 minimum fare.
Old Jul 6, 2005, 6:25 pm

Programs: SPG Gold
Mpd 955

I got the 1750 miles for $25 off. No minimum.

Qualifying Fares: This discount may be used on published United First(R) (F, A), United Business(R) (C, D, Z) or United Economy(R) class (Y, E, B, M, U, H, Q, V, W, S, T or L) fares for qualifying travel within the 50 United States, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands or Canada.

Restricted Fares: This discount may not be used on the following fare types: internet-only fares, companion, travel industry G class, contract, bulk, convention, tour conductor, children, family plan, government, group,
military, senior citizen, student, youth, infant, tour basing, Round the World, Circle the Pacific, Visit USA, or any non-published fares.
So, seems like should work for most fare classes. Promo code is MPD 955, tho I'm not sure where that comes into play. Sign-up landing page URL is:

https://secure.unitedmileageplus.com/MP0506TH.jsp?G=EC

Not sure if the refering URL in the email is unique - does look like it might be.
Old Jul 6, 2005, 6:49 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

1k, about 400k miles in the bank, got the $50 coupon for 5,000 miles offer (min fare $250). No way I am selling my points for 1 cent each when international upgrades and international C/F awards have a MUCH higher value. Plus, I am usually able to get confirmed upgrades on the routes I use for some reason, maybe I am just lucky in where I want to go!

UA really have come up with a really wacky algorithm. I might have considered the $100 off for 7,000 miles flavor, but that would be about the only one that sounds even vaguely interesting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.