Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

New UA Promo: Redeem miles for your United flight discount

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New UA Promo: Redeem miles for your United flight discount

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2005, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Originally Posted by SFOTRAVELER
1P: $100 off, for 7,000 miles.

It's worth it to me since I have 170,000 miles in the bank and would love to go to DC for the MR Seminar.

I don't understand how you determine which flights are e-certificate eligible before you pull the trigger...
When you use the booking engine on United.com it asks you for the e-certificate code. When the flights show up, if searching by schedule, the eligible flights will be notated by a green star.
Old Jul 5, 2005, 10:31 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, AA EXP
Bloody hell... @*#((*# ual.com...

If you try to use the e-certificate on an itinerary with two passengers, it won't let you, FYI. You have to book 2 tickets - one using the cert (if you only have one).

THEN if you try to search by schedule, they seem to have changed the URL so you can't customize the air_avail= # any longer - so if you don't like the flights you're presented with, you're SOL. Of course, trying to fly LAX-YVR, it provides me with nothing but non-stop UA codeshares on AC, which aren't eligible.

So I figure - fine, I'll use the multi-city option and force the segments I want - LAX-SFO-YVR-SFO-LAX. I try to price and it says "Sorry, this offer code is only valid with round trip itineraries".

Honestly... this is the worst site - period.

UA should be embarrassed.
Old Jul 5, 2005, 10:46 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
I'm a 1P with >270K in the bank.

I got the 5,000 for $50 deal, which I will most certainly be taking advantage of ^

If I had gotten the $100 for 7K I might redeem 10 of them, or at least one for every flight I was going to book before 10/31/05.

Think of it this way:
Many of us have been cashing in on the UA Visa bonus miles - $60 for 20,000 miles. I can now turn that into $200. It's a no-brainer, IMHO.

Kudos to UA for this promo ^
Old Jul 5, 2005, 10:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MM
Originally Posted by hsilbiger
I think they are trying to find the proper exchange rate for a miles/discount ratio. So they send diffrenet proposals around to see how mmany takers they get for each proposals.

I did not get any, I have plenty of miles and I am a 1P.
I got the 7K for $100 off bonus. I'm a 1P who will make 1K this year for the first time (at 79K EQMs so far), with about 220K miles in the bank (despite my best efforts to run them down).

If the certificates turn out to be useable, it does seem like a good way for United to get some information on how people value miles.
Old Jul 5, 2005, 11:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by boifromtroy
I for the 1000 miles for $25 off offer myself.
Same deal to me. Of all the ones I've read on this thread, this one - MINE - appears to be one of the ones that actually is worth it!
Old Jul 5, 2005, 11:16 pm

Programs: UA 1P (residual DL, US, AS), SPG
Originally Posted by CApreppie
When you use the booking engine on United.com it asks you for the e-certificate code. When the flights show up, if searching by schedule, the eligible flights will be notated by a green star.
Right, but I don't want to purchase the e-certificate until I am sure my OAK-IAD flight is eligible! Isn't there a way to check flight eligibility first before I purchase the e-cert?

For example, if only the SFO-WAS flights are eligible, which are running $100-200 more, it's not worth it to me at all!
Old Jul 5, 2005, 11:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by g_leyser
Kudos to UA for this promo ^
Agreed. Don't like it? Delete it!
Old Jul 5, 2005, 11:43 pm

Programs: The opinions expressed here are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the airlines I worked for.
I got $25 off for 2,500 miles with the $250 minimum fare requirement.

No thanks. But $100 off for 7,000 and I would bite.

Most of my domestic fares are <$200, so maybe that's why I got the $250 minimum fare requirement.

But all of my int'l fares are far above $600. hey United: How about letting us use certs on int'l fares?!

Just imagine making an int'l H fare a little more affordable. I'd buy more int'l H fares if they did that (with the reasonable exchange rate I mentioned).

And UA needs to let Multi-City functionality to form valid roundtrips work. How can use a cert to go to YVR on United if the Roundtrip only shows AC flights!

I don't want to bite at the current offer and send the message that I'm okay with the current redemption rate and structure. United needs to realize that Mileage Plus members will share info with each other. The elite program is becoming more transparent, just as airfares did with the advent of the internet.

Last edited by John26; Jul 5, 2005 at 11:46 pm
Old Jul 6, 2005, 12:32 am

1K here and got 5,000 for $50, no min purchases. Unlike friends plus or Ent coupon, this one let you use it with F,A,C,D,Z & higher coach fares. Wish I got the 7K for $100 offer. Can be handy for those Z class p.s. flights.
Old Jul 6, 2005, 12:32 am

Programs: AC SE, BA silver
1P, have 170K miles in the bank, fly only on the cheap. Got the 1000 miles for $25 certificate on $250+ flights.

I'm not actually planning to fly domestically anywhere soon, but if I did, it does seem like a good deal.
Old Jul 6, 2005, 3:37 am

Programs: UA 1K
$25 e-cert for fares >$250 for 1,750 miles
i am 1K
Old Jul 6, 2005, 3:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I have loads of miles and will be a MM flyer this month, and no offer!!!

For some reasons, I have not received any targeted promotional offers this year......I feel so lonely and unloved by United.

Is it becasue they know I am going to fly them regardless? I have paid and confirmed reservations through September.

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Jul 6, 2005 at 12:09 pm
Old Jul 6, 2005, 6:32 am

Location: UA 1K 3MM, UA 1P/1K since mid '80s; CO Bronze/Silver since mid 80's, Austin, Texas
I'm a 1K with over 700K miles in the bank. I've flown over 70K so far this year, with 20K more already ticketed.

I got the offer for a $200 discount for 15,000 miles.

That's $.0133 per mile. I generally like to use miles at .0125 or more. So that's an acceptable price tag per mile for me. But I probably won't use it. Here's why:

1. Website disfunctionality. The website won't allow certs to be used on multiple destination itineraries, which is usually the only way to come close to getting the flights I want. The green star of eligibility shows up very rarely, rendering most e-certs to be useless to me.

2. Business travel and reimbursement. My company considers miles to be my property. It would be a paperwork nightmare to be reimbursed for a $200 portion of an itinerary the company bought for company travel. If I did try to push through the paperwork, I think the IRS would consider that $200 to be taxable income. There's another hassle. If I did leisure travel, I could see it becoming useful.

Kudos to United for trying to find a way to monetize miles. They are obviously testing a variety of formulas to see what works. To United: Keep upgrading the website to make e-certs functional and I think you'll find that this kind of scheme might generate a fair bit of cash.
Old Jul 6, 2005, 7:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA MM/Premier Gold, Hyatt Globalist,Hilton Honors Gold, IHG platinum, Club Carlson Gold
I am 1 K. I received no offer.
Old Jul 6, 2005, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
I received the 2500 for $25 offer that I will definitely not take. I have had such a difficulty trying to redeem any discount certificate on United.com that I would call them almost fraudulent promotions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.