Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger) [closed to posting]
Sign in using an external account

Old Jun 26, 05, 5:28 pm   #1

How much is 1K worth?

I'm curious what the dollar value of 1K would be over and above Premier Exec. There are 2 ways to answer the question:

1. Monetary value of the goodies you get that 1P's don't (there will be a little subjectivity here, mixed with some market value numbers.)

2. How much would you be willing to pay out of your own pocket to be a 1K, if you were only a 1P.

Any thoughts?
Old Jun 26, 05, 5:33 pm   #2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: US Dougie's Preferred, UA Gate Louse, HH Diamond, National Emerald Club, TSA Disparager Gold
I heard UA values the SWU's at $600, and you get 6 of them. Don't know about the CR-1's.

UA values 1K status at $20k if you buy their prepaid card.

I think the value to the person depends on how much they travel. If they travel a lot, it might be worth more to someone who only flies around 50k miles and doesn't go international.

I probably wouldn't consider "buying up" unless I was pretty close, and I'd probably do an MR in that case rather than pay for EQMs.
Old Jun 26, 05, 5:55 pm   #3
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: D.R.E.A.D. Gold Card holder; UA 1K/1.004MM; SPG Pt-195; PCC Elite; MR LT Au
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superguy
I heard UA values the SWU's at $600, and you get 6 of them.
They don't even go for that much on eBay! United probably uses that value when talking to 1Ks or reporters on the value of being a 1K, but what do they file in their 10-K? I would guess the value of the liability they quote there is under $100 (if not $0). I think something in between is somewhat realistic, as each one is equivalent to 30,000 miles (plus a bit because they apply to more fare bases).
Old Jun 26, 05, 6:08 pm   #4

Programs: N/A
If I was at 70k, I would spend $1,500 to get to 100k and enjoy the six SWU's as well as increased availability on domestic award tickets. I think 1K's also enjoy a higher chance of operational upgrades compared to Premier Executives. Overall, I have been very pleased with UA and will be 1K again!
Old Jun 26, 05, 6:19 pm   #5

Programs: UA GS/1K/MM, VA Gold, DL Gold
The value of 1K depends on your expected travel patterns over the following year. If I didn't expect to fly anywhere next year, I wouldn't spend a penny to make 1K, and it would be worth nothing to me.
Old Jun 26, 05, 6:21 pm   #6

Programs: UA 1K Go Vols!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegingerman
2. How much would you be willing to pay out of your own pocket to be a 1K, if you were only a 1P.
I would not be willing to pay out of my pocket to go from 1P to 1K. I was just in that kind of a situation a few years ago. Rather than book tickets on my own dime, I added segments to my remaining business trips for 2002 and made 1K on segments. I have been a UA 1K since. I am able to travel enough for business and have my company pay for my status with UA. It is still shocking to me that there are people out there that pay, out of their own pocket, for status. Not to take anything away from those that do.

The benefits that I get from UA for being a 1K are not something that I would pay for on my own, out of my own pocket.
Old Jun 26, 05, 6:24 pm   #7

How much would it cost to pay for 1K status?
Old Jun 26, 05, 6:29 pm   #8

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
20K for the prepaid card, I guess if your client paid you - you could afford it
Old Jun 26, 05, 6:32 pm   #9

Programs: UA GS/1K/MM, VA Gold, DL Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimoe125
How much would it cost to pay for 1K status?

Check on Ebay
Old Jun 26, 05, 6:35 pm   #10
Moderator: TravelBuzz! & United MileagePlus

Programs: UA 1K/1.7MM; SPG Lifetime Plat; HY Plat.; HH Gold; Nat'l Executive.
The value of 1K is not measured by u/gs alone. Other 1K benefits are special saver award inventory and freedom from the fees which UA charges others (except UGS) in order to sell you its product or ticket a M+ award via a live agent. There's also a further reduction on RCC membership and, as noted, better u/g and standby clearing. Since I average 4 trips per month, these other benefits are valuable.
Old Jun 26, 05, 6:53 pm   #11

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler; Marriott Lifetime Platinum Premier
I think there are many intangible benefits to becoming 1K and I would not hesitate to take every step to reach the 1K level. For example, most airports have seperate check-in facilities for 1K members; 1K members receive first selection for meals in business class; 1K trumps, as far as I know, most upgrade options, from priority waitlist to operational upgrades. And there are probably more that I receive that I don't even know about. If I had to book a mileage run just to make 1K, I would do it in an instant.
Old Jun 26, 05, 7:13 pm   #12
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The value of being a 26 year-old 1K and sitting next to a 50+ year-old Premier who thinks he's the sh*t because he's Premier and spends the whole flight wondering how the young "whipper snapper" is a 1K is absolutely priceless.
Old Jun 26, 05, 7:16 pm   #13

Programs: UA MM1K
RE:value of 1K

I normally fly 5-6 SFO-CDG trips a year. For me, it's been worth it to take advantage of promotions like the Great Offer and a couple of convoluted mileage runs a year in return for three relatively inexpensive CDG trips upgraded to business with SWU. Op upgrades sometimes increase that number, and the double miles for what I do fly BIS makes additional upgrades possible. The other perks like 1K saver inventory, Visa rebates, etc, make it real easy for me to justify spending additional monies to make 1K. As I am self-employed and fly on my own dime, I can't just tack on extra segments to employer-paid flights. All the accrued miles, drink coupons, and CR1's make me very popular with the rest of my family. I can't say that the idea of a 7 hour SIN turn in November thrills me, but. . .it's probably worth it.
Old Jun 26, 05, 7:30 pm   #14
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNITED959
The value of being a 26 year-old 1K and sitting next to a 50+ year-old Premier who thinks he's the sh*t because he's Premier and spends the whole flight wondering how the young "whipper snapper" is a 1K is absolutely priceless.
I'm not even 26 yet!
Old Jun 26, 05, 7:47 pm   #15

So, the only $ value I've heard so far is $1,500. Is that close in most people's minds?

I KNOW it depends upon travel habits, blah blah blah. I'm just looking for what people might think an approximation would be for someone who flies 75K miles a year for business and does a couple internationals a year for pleasure.