Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated "Combining UA Credits, Vouchers, and Goodwill Certs" Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Consolidated "Combining UA Credits, Vouchers, and Goodwill Certs" Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2007, 3:45 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
So where do type AB certificates fit in?
Old Jun 14, 2007, 4:15 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Originally Posted by goalie
my two hockey pucks is that you can combine all the refare & vdb vouchers as they are all type b (i.e. cash)
I thought VDB vouchers could only be combined with other vouchers from the same booklet... or is that a common misconception that I should get out of my head?

So do you think an e-cert counts as a Type A, or are we still unsure about whether electronic and paper can be combined? (If they can be combined it should be as simple as doing a book-and-hold with the e-cert already applied, then completing it the usual way via ticket-by-mail or in-person to handle the paper vouchers... whether this is possible or not is the crux of the matter.)
Old Jun 14, 2007, 4:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by cepheid
I'm wondering why they wouldn't be combinable...
Because it would require United to hire IT personnel and programmers - something they've been very unwilling to do in the past.
Old Jun 14, 2007, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Because it would require United to hire IT personnel and programmers
Why do you say that? I don't think it would be a software issue, since the certs are applied differently (and presumably, although I am just guessing, in different fields in the ticketing software). I suspect that if I were to do a book-and-hold with the e-cert then a phone or airport agent would still be able to apply the other certs. It might fail an audit... but presumably the agents could do it. I guess nobody has actually done this, though, or at least nobody has posted such.
Old Jun 14, 2007, 7:20 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
You cannot do a book and hold when using an electronic certificate. The only way you can proceed is by charging the balance to a credit card.

I have had problems combining VDB vouchers (4 in one booklet with same serial number) with other type B (Cash) vouchers. VDB T&C clearly states those VDB vouchers are not combinable with other vouchers.

Type AB voucher is not combinable with any other type of vouchers; type A or type B.
Old Jun 14, 2007, 7:21 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by cepheid
I thought VDB vouchers could only be combined with other vouchers from the same booklet... or is that a common misconception that I should get out of my head?

So do you think an e-cert counts as a Type A, or are we still unsure about whether electronic and paper can be combined? (If they can be combined it should be as simple as doing a book-and-hold with the e-cert already applied, then completing it the usual way via ticket-by-mail or in-person to handle the paper vouchers... whether this is possible or not is the crux of the matter.)
i've alwayas been successful in combining type b (vdb/re-fare) certs from multiple booklets but as to combinning an e-cert with something else, you basically are catch of the day (scrod ) as there is no way (afaik) to book and hold a reservation when using an e-cert and as such, you can't go to the airport/ticket by mail to use the paper vouchers.
Old Jun 14, 2007, 7:35 pm

Programs: all views expressed by me are mine only and do not reflect those of UAL or their partners
i've alwayas been successful in combining type b (vdb/re-fare) certs from multiple booklets but as to combinning an e-cert with something else, you basically are catch of the day (scrod ) as there is no way (afaik) to book and hold a reservation when using an e-cert and as such, you can't go to the airport/ticket by mail to use the paper vouchers.
Goalie**for a guy that stops hockey pucks**you are very smart***E-certs cannot be combined with "any other" form of paper discount certs or vouchers.
Old Jun 15, 2007, 12:07 am

OK, well, that clears THAT up! So if book-and-hold isn't doable, that certainly makes it difficult, and now we have the official word - not combinable.

Thanks for the info! Of course, now I need to decide whether I'd rather use the e-cert (expires soon) or the Type B vouchers (good until at least November). Ah, decisions. Anyway, good to have this info, thanks!
Old Jun 15, 2007, 1:26 am

Programs: UA 2MM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG
my two hockey pucks is that you can combine all the refare & vdb vouchers as they are all type b (i.e. cash) and you can add one travel cert (type a & technically only 1 type a can be used per ticket) on top of that. you might get an agent who will politely b, m, & g but if you get a good one who knows how to do it....( as i've done just that-3 separaate type b vouchers [2 refare and 1 bump] plus a $100 travel cert.)
For anyone successful at getting A&B certificates combined for a single ticket, do you have any suggestions as to how to nicely "coach" an agent that doesn't know how to do this?
Old Jun 15, 2007, 9:31 am

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Where2next?
For anyone successful at getting A&B certificates combined for a single ticket, do you have any suggestions as to how to nicely "coach" an agent that doesn't know how to do this?
for me, if the agent (most often sfo or oak as that's where i do most of my ticketing) can't figure out/doesn't know how to do it/says it can't be done, i usually play dumb and say that "the agent who did my last reservation about a <insert date> ago needed to make a phone call. i don't know who she spoke to but they walked her thru it". that usually sets the ball rolling and then it's done. now it also depends what airport you go to to ticket as with sfo & oak, most of the folks know me ("did you bring them" or even on occasion, "my dentist hates you ) and they have figured out how to get it done. so with all that, the bottom line is that it all depends on who the agent is.
Old Jun 16, 2007, 2:11 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
I successfully used all the certs I mentioned above ticketing at SFO last night. The agent initially said that I couldn't use multiple dollars off PMO certs, so I told him to split the PNR since there were two of us travelling and then he could. He split them up this way:

$200 dollars off PMO
$300 VDB vouchers
$69.97 refare vouchers

leaving a $21.00 credit which he applied to the next ticket.

$100 dollars off PMO
$200 VDB vouchers
$69.97 refare vouchers
$21.00 credit from other ticket

It saved a whopping 20 cents over combining them they way I had which was:

$200 dollars off PMO
$200 VDB vouchers
$69.97 refare vouchers

and

$100 dollars off PMO
$300 VDB vouchers
$69.97 refare vouchers

When all is said and done it was a miserable 1 hour and 40 minutes standing in a line served by two agents. Hey WHQ in case you don't know this is a major International Airport that has regular "irregular ops." I was third in line and it took and hour and 20 minutes to get served. Why don't they have an elite ticketing line? By the time I left there were more than 20 people lined up. They are probably still standing in line.
Old Jun 16, 2007, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by Pat89339
I successfully used all the certs I mentioned above ticketing at SFO last night. The agent initially said that I couldn't use multiple dollars off PMO certs, so I told him to split the PNR since there were two of us travelling and then he could. He split them up this way:

$200 dollars off PMO
$300 VDB vouchers
$69.97 refare vouchers

leaving a $21.00 credit which he applied to the next ticket.

$100 dollars off PMO
$200 VDB vouchers
$69.97 refare vouchers
$21.00 credit from other ticket

It saved a whopping 20 cents over combining them they way I had which was:

$200 dollars off PMO
$200 VDB vouchers
$69.97 refare vouchers

and

$100 dollars off PMO
$300 VDB vouchers
$69.97 refare vouchers

When all is said and done it was a miserable 1 hour and 40 minutes standing in a line served by two agents. Hey WHQ in case you don't know this is a major International Airport that has regular "irregular ops." I was third in line and it took and hour and 20 minutes to get served. Why don't they have an elite ticketing line? By the time I left there were more than 20 people lined up. They are probably still standing in line.
sorry you had to wait so long pat but it does look like you had a good agent (even after 'splaining "slpit the pnr" )
Old Jun 16, 2007, 7:26 pm

If you want a hassle free ticketing experience at an airport ticket counter, call UA in advance and inform phone CSR exactly what voucher/s you will be using, PMO, tic code/s and dollar amount for each voucher. Once it is set up over the phone, hopefully correctly. All you have to do is to show up at an ATC, surrender your vocher/s, charge the difference to your credit card and you are all set. This will save you tons of time in line and parking fee.
Old Jun 16, 2007, 7:38 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Thanks for the tip 1KChinito!
Old Jun 16, 2007, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by Pat89339
Thanks for the tip 1KChinito!
You are welcome. This way, you will not chance who is/are at the airport ticket counter when you arrive. FYI, SFO now has at least two CSR at the ticket counter at all times unless s/he is on his/her break. I was told the best time to arrive is Tue and Sat evenings. Since UA has cut back their domestic operations, there are fewer people at the airport. The last time I was at SFO for ticketing at 7 pm on a Tuesday, there were two CSRs and no one in line. I could not believe my eyes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.