Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated "Combining UA Credits, Vouchers, and Goodwill Certs" Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Consolidated "Combining UA Credits, Vouchers, and Goodwill Certs" Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2007, 7:49 pm

Two sets of VDB vouchers are quite difficult to combine with each other (and it's officially not allowed, as the "not combinable" restriction printed on the VDB vouchers makes pretty clear.) A ticket agent let me do it once (back in 2000, under unusual circumstances.)

There's an exception to the "not combinable" rule on VDB vouchers: you ARE allowed to combine them (one book) with a single "dollar off" coupon (including the "DOLLARUA" flavor sent by customer relations.) This is in the DOLLARUA profile.
Old Apr 22, 2007, 8:36 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
So on a similar note, what about combining refare Type B vouchers? Are those also not combinable, or would that be OK since they are "cash alternatives?"
Old Apr 22, 2007, 8:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by cepheid
So on a similar note, what about combining refare Type B vouchers?
Works just fine. I've heard some agents will limit it to four, but I've never had that many at one time anyway.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 8:59 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Well, I just went to the airport and combined two VDB vouchers, no questions asked!

I could only pay up to the fare though, it did not cover any taxes. Is that correct?
Old Apr 23, 2007, 9:11 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, 1M, HH Diamond
I just combined 3 on Friday

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Well, I just went to the airport and combined two VDB vouchers, no questions asked!

I could only pay up to the fare though, it did not cover any taxes. Is that correct?

and was issued a $1.19 voucher since my 3 vouchers exceded the ticket price (9including all taxes & fess) by that amount. so yes, the vouchers covered the total tickt price.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 9:19 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by jamielv
and was issued a $1.19 voucher since my 3 vouchers exceded the ticket price (9including all taxes & fess) by that amount. so yes, the vouchers covered the total tickt price.
They told me the vouchers could not be used for ANY taxes, I even politely asked for a supervisor, and she said the same.

So I had to pay $272 in taxes for this ticket.... not cool! I would have much rather used the vouchers.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 10:29 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
They told me the vouchers could not be used for ANY taxes, I even politely asked for a supervisor, and she said the same.

So I had to pay $272 in taxes for this ticket.... not cool! I would have much rather used the vouchers.
Was part of that $272 the fuel surcharge (YQ fee)? The YQ fee is not a tax and the vouchers should apply towards that. A lot of CSRs will try to tell you that it is a tax but will back down if you press them on it.
Old Jun 14, 2007, 2:13 pm

Alright, I know this thread is almost 3 years old, but one part of the question hasn't yet been answered and is now relevant to me, and various rules and policies have changed and/or been clarified over the last 3 years... so I thought I'd ask (and resurrect this thread rather than starting a brand new one):

Is a goodwill electronic certificate combinable with a paper Type B (refare) voucher? I know that Type B vouchers are generally combinable with one another and with a single Type A voucher... but are Type B vouchers combinable with a goodwill e-cert?

If they are, I assume I would need to do a book-and-hold with the e-cert, then ticket-by-mail or in-person to finish the reservation with the Type B vouchers.

There is no language on the goodwill e-cert T&Cs indicating whether or not it is combinable, hence the question.

Now, if it the goodwill e-cert is combinable with Type B vouchers... can it also be combined with a single Type A?
Old Jun 14, 2007, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ozstamps
Been a lot of threads on this in the past.

Perhaps do a search on Type A vouchers and Type B vouchers. You can combine same type usually but not a combo.
Actually, you can usually combine one of each type, but rarely two of the same type.

Real quickly, Type A vouchers are $$ or % off coupons; Type B vouchers are credit (usually printed on card stock) that result from VDBs, fare differences, and refunds/credits from tickets. Type A is "money off" whereas Type B is "money in the bank" (so to speak).
Old Jun 14, 2007, 3:03 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Okay, so here's my question...I have:

7 refare vouchers totalling $140.00
4 VDB vouchers totalling $200.00
4 VDB vouchers totalling $300.00
1 cert for $100 off
1 cert for $200 off

Can I combine all the VDB and refare vouchers since they are just like money with one dollar off certificate? Since there will be two of us flying I guess I could split the record locater and that way I could use both of the dollars off, right?
Old Jun 14, 2007, 3:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by UNITED959
Actually, you can usually combine one of each type, but rarely two of the same type.
I've never had trouble using multiple Type B vouchers. However, I don't think you can combine electronic and paper certs.
Old Jun 14, 2007, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I've never had trouble using multiple Type B vouchers. However, I don't think you can combine electronic and paper certs.
True. In general, only one Type A is allowed per reservation; it can be combined with one or several Type Bs. Or you can have multiple Type Bs.

Usually depends on the "personality" of the agent, though.
Old Jun 14, 2007, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
However, I don't think you can combine electronic and paper certs.
That was the pertinent part of my question, though I'm wondering why they wouldn't be combinable... you can book-and-hold even when using an e-cert, right? In that case, it seems like you could, in principle, combine them that way, as long as they were combinable. Since there is no language at all in the e-cert T&Cs about combinability, and Type B vouchers explicitly say they are combinable with other discounts, it seems like it should work. Just wondering if anyone has actually done it before or knows for certain.
Old Jun 14, 2007, 3:31 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Pat89339
Okay, so here's my question...I have:

7 refare vouchers totalling $140.00
4 VDB vouchers totalling $200.00
4 VDB vouchers totalling $300.00
1 cert for $100 off
1 cert for $200 off

Can I combine all the VDB and refare vouchers since they are just like money with one dollar off certificate? Since there will be two of us flying I guess I could split the record locater and that way I could use both of the dollars off, right?
my two hockey pucks is that you can combine all the refare & vdb vouchers as they are all type b (i.e. cash) and you can add one travel cert (type a & technically only 1 type a can be used per ticket) on top of that. you might get an agent who will politely b, m, & g but if you get a good one who knows how to do it....( as i've done just that-3 separaate type b vouchers [2 refare and 1 bump] plus a $100 travel cert.)
Old Jun 14, 2007, 3:44 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Just for insurance maybe I should bring along a tootsie pop or two.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.