Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated "Combining UA Credits, Vouchers, and Goodwill Certs" Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Consolidated "Combining UA Credits, Vouchers, and Goodwill Certs" Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2008, 2:36 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by HaeMaker
How did they ship the tickets back to you?

If they only send them USPS First Class back, I think all Hawaii First Class mail comes via boat. It has been a few years since I have been there, but I remember warnings at the post office directed at tourists, that express mail costs only a little more but makes a huge difference for delivery times (on the order of weeks).
There is no ticket to ship. Since you can only redeem UA vouchers for UA and UX flights, no Star Alliance and code share allowed. Therefore, UA issues only E-tickets. You can check online. If you see e-ticket receipt underneath View/modify in your “my itineraries”, then your ticket has been issued.

UA will also send you via USPS First Class mail, your e-ticket receipt.
Old May 5, 2008, 2:41 pm

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
Here are my questions for vouchers: which of these can be combined and which are NON-Combinable?

1. Type AB voucher ($75 Travel Certificate)

2. S*PMO/Dollar-UA Systemwide($200 Dollar UA Systemwide)
Old May 5, 2008, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Originally Posted by chitownflyer
Here are my questions for vouchers: which of these can be combined and which are NON-Combinable?
The Type AB is not combinable with any other voucher, although some CSRs have been known to combine them anyway. The "systemwide" voucher is Type A (as are all PMO/DOLLARUA) and therefore is not combinable with another Type A (or a Type AB), but is combinable with Type Bs.
Old May 6, 2008, 11:02 am

Programs: UA Premier, SPG Platinum, Marriott Silver, HHonors Silver
The VDB vouchers aren't combinable with other type B vouchers... but I should be able to use the $400 in vouchers I just got for a VDB together, right? Or am I stuck using them $100 at a time on future flights?

(Last time I took a VDB was back in my pre-FT days, so I had settled for the free ticket.)
Old May 6, 2008, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.1MM | Marriott Lifetime Titanium | National EE
[QUOTE=toomanywords;9684356]The VDB vouchers aren't combinable with other type B vouchers... but I should be able to use the $400 in vouchers I just got for a VDB together, right? Or am I stuck using them $100 at a time on future flights? QUOTE]

They can be used: 100, 200, 300, 400; your choice. You just can't combine any coupons from that VBD book with coupons from another VDB book or any other type B vouchers. You can combine with one type A however.
Old May 6, 2008, 1:01 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
The recent discussion has expanded from the single incident in OGG to a larger discussion about combining vouchers. As such, I'm going to merge this into the existing thread to consolidate the information for those seeking it.

Thanks,

FlyinHawaiian, Co-Moderator
United Mileage Plus Forum
Old May 9, 2008, 6:40 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
fwiw, i went to sfo to apply vouchers to 2 separate reservations...
  1. used a $200 type-a (cust relations/skykit) cert and was able to add a cs-25 cert to it (n.b. the cs-25 was undated and i've had it for over a year)

2. used a $100 type-a (cust relations/skykit) cert and was able to add a $10 re-fare (blue/"type b") cert and a $50 (blue/"type a/b") cert the the purchase as well

i know you can combine multiple type-b's with only one type-a but how about the type-ab? an the same for the cs-25 added to a type-a? in both reservations, the agent didn't even flinch in applying everything. did i get lucky or is that how it's s'posed to be done?
Old May 9, 2008, 11:04 pm

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
Originally Posted by cepheid
The Type AB is not combinable with any other voucher, although some CSRs have been known to combine them anyway. The "systemwide" voucher is Type A (as are all PMO/DOLLARUA) and therefore is not combinable with another Type A (or a Type AB), but is combinable with Type Bs.
I had an interesting recent experience at the airport CTO. I had two Type AB certs that I was trying to use. I asked the rep if this was okay, and was replied that it is allowed. I then had three more three more Type AB certs, and asked whether I could use 5 Type AB vouchers on one ticket, and I was told this is permitted. I was told that Type AB vouchers are combinable with each other, but they are not combinable with other types of vouchers such as Type A, Type B, or PMO Dollar & IPW. You can combine the same type of vouchers with each other just not with different types of vouchers. So two Type Bs or three Type As are fine, but not one A and one B. PMO Dollar and IPW are NOT combinable with any vouchers even of the same kind.

Last edited by chitownflyer; May 10, 2008 at 9:17 am
Old May 10, 2008, 3:22 pm

You can combine the same type of vouchers with each other just not with different types of vouchers. So two Type Bs or three Type As are fine, but not one A and one B.
That latter is untrue. One type A is explicitly combinable with multiple Type Bs. You cannot use more than one Type A, either - this is explicitly specified in the profile. Type ABs are still mysterious, but given that your CSR was mistaken on the combinability of Types A and B, I wouldn't trust his/her interpretation of the Type AB, either.
Old May 10, 2008, 3:56 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
I had an interesting recent experience at the airport CTO. I had two Type AB certs that I was trying to use. I asked the rep if this was okay, and was replied that it is allowed. I then had three more three more Type AB certs, and asked whether I could use 5 Type AB vouchers on one ticket, and I was told this is permitted. I was told that Type AB vouchers are combinable with each other, but they are not combinable with other types of vouchers such as Type A, Type B, or PMO Dollar & IPW. You can combine the same type of vouchers with each other just not with different types of vouchers. So two Type Bs or three Type As are fine, but not one A and one B. PMO Dollar and IPW are NOT combinable with any vouchers even of the same kind.
well, from what cepheid says, it looks like i got lucky but from what you say, maybe it is in fact allowed. hmmmmmmmm.....so
Old May 10, 2008, 8:52 pm

That latter is untrue. One type A is explicitly combinable with multiple Type Bs. You cannot use more than one Type A, either - this is explicitly specified in the profile. Type ABs are still mysterious, but given that your CSR was mistaken on the combinability of Types A and B, I wouldn't trust his/her interpretation of the Type AB, either.
Cepheid, I may have misunderstood the agent with regards to combinability of Type A & B. So one Type A may be combined with multiple Type B.

The agent whom assisted me was a long time UA employee with a good knowledge of the rules regarding combinability, and I was told that Type AB vouchers are in fact combinable with Type AB vouchers. Others have posted here that Type AB vouchers are non-combinable, but Type AB vouchers can be combined with Type AB vouchers. AFAIK, IDB compensation may be issued as a booklet of Type AB vouchers, so $600 of credits would be made into a booklet of four $150 Type AB vouchers.

Here is some interesting info. A domestic PMO/Dollar-UA coupon forfeits the any remaining value when the value of the voucher is greater than the price of the ticket. When using a PMO/Dollar-UA Systemwide, which is valid on international flights, a residual voucher is is issued when the value of a voucher is greater than the price of the ticket.
Old May 10, 2008, 9:13 pm

AFAIK, IDB compensation may be issued as a booklet of Type AB vouchers, so $600 of credits would be made into a booklet of four $150 Type AB vouchers.
Proper IDB compensation is cash, but otherwise they use VDB compensation, which is issued as Type B vouchers (not Type AB). Those Type B vouchers do have a combinability restriction in that they can only be combined with ones from the same booklet, but they are nevertheless Type B.

If Type AB are indeed combinable with each other, so much the better, though. Here's to hoping that this is right...
Old May 23, 2008, 4:50 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Can UA travel credit coupons be combined towards purchase of one flight ticket?

Earlier this week, a UA flight from ORD to YOW was oversold, and the gate agent was asking for volunteers to go on the next day's flights.

My wife volunteered, and she was given a $600 credit, plus her lodging at the hotel overnight (in this case, the O'Hare Airport Hilton) and food were covered.

In terms of her $600 credit, it came in the form of 4 coupons of $150 each.
The question is whether 2 or more of the coupons can be used as credit for the purchase of a single ticket?

A secondary question is whether the flight credits must be used towards purchase of her tickets, or may be used by (for example) other members of her family (including myself).
Old May 23, 2008, 4:56 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
any number of the coupons (issued in the same book) can be used together.

If you want to use them for someone else's travel, I believe the person in whose name the credits are issued will have to show up to endorse them at the time of ticketing. Or it is possible that it can be done by mail with proof of your id.
Old May 23, 2008, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by TA
If you want to use them for someone else's travel, I believe the person in whose name the credits are issued will have to show up to endorse them at the time of ticketing. Or it is possible that it can be done by mail with proof of your id.
Correct. I just did this earlier this evening at HPN. I'll spare you the details of my 'discussion' as I gently suggested to the Air Wisconsin agent how to do this. But this is a story for another post.

When I called UA (three times), all agents told me that I could not do this by mail.

================================================== ======

Still have a couple of seats available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.