Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

UA840 to LAX causes major emergency scare at SYD - forced to return to airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA840 to LAX causes major emergency scare at SYD - forced to return to airport

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2004, 12:40 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
The rescheduled flight

Flight 9793
NOT DEPARTED
Details Sydney, Australia (SYD)
Wed, Jul 28
Scheduled: 11:30 AM
Estimated: 1:00 PM
Reason: Schedule change due to Late Arriving Aircraft
pier c
Gate: 53
Los Angeles, CA (LAX)
Wed, Jul 28
Scheduled: 8:15 AM
Estimated: 9:25 AM
Reason: Schedule change due to Late Arriving Aircraft
Terminal 7
Gate: 74
Baggage claim: --
Old Jul 27, 2004, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP; UAMM
Bewust Onbeschonken Bestuurder (Dutch: Conscious Non-Drunk Driver.) ^ Given that this plane originated in Oz, perhaps one of the passengers had the barf bag taped to his jacket to identify him during the drive to the airport (and also to anticipate any emergency voiding operation ). This would clearly distinguish him/her from all the other passengers in the car.
In any case, this is a classic acronym which I will try to use next time I'm in Amsterdam. (I'm curious to see an unconscious non-drunk driver )
Old Jul 27, 2004, 1:23 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Acronym "BOB" = Attractor of Dumbasses.

Someone ought to check and see if the captain had any personal business to attend to in SYD where a 1 day delay would have been helpful.

If the BOB on the Barf Bag was the sole indicator, then that captain should be relieved of duty.

"Times of Caution"? Ha! Welcome to the "Times of Idiocy". Brought to you not by Al Qaeda, but rather by nincompoops who lose all common sense at the airport.

Anyone care for a nice lawsuit?

Last edited by Spiff; Jul 27, 2004 at 1:25 pm
Old Jul 27, 2004, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Could have been a recycled barf bag that had been used by an FA as a "cash bag" on a previous Buy On Board flight?

I certainly hope it wasn't recycled from a Barf On Board flight!

Old Jul 27, 2004, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No idea why that posted twice.

Last edited by PremEx; Jul 27, 2004 at 3:07 pm
Old Jul 27, 2004, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Somebody *please* tell me this is all a bad joke - or the TSA will be starting to confiscate all pens next week.
Old Jul 27, 2004, 3:33 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
Somebody *please* tell me this is all a bad joke - or the TSA will be starting to confiscate all pens next week.
They may want you to barf prior to boarding; thus the need for barf bags can be reduced. As a result, there will be a cost savings from the fewer barf bags needed on board. [Just kidding.]
Old Jul 27, 2004, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA GM, QF Bronze, Sugar and Spice buy 6 cups get one free offer card holder
Channel 9 Today show news is saying that the barf bag was found in one of the F toilets, given these are carefully guarded by the prison matrons the access to these is very limited. One wonders if this was already onboard even before the pax boarded.
Old Jul 27, 2004, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ozziegumby
Channel 9 Today show news is saying that the barf bag was found in one of the F toilets...
Have to take that with a grain of salt...many (in this case, the media) think F on a 744 is upstairs "just because" that's where it should be...however, with that in mind, the matrons are just as strict about letting others upstairs into C...
Old Jul 27, 2004, 4:48 pm

Programs: UA G-1MM/*G, B6 Mosaicm, DL G, HH S, Bonvoy(...?) Plat, Avis PS, Hertz 5*, Nat ExVIP
Do think they'll use this as an excuse to discontinue Buy on Board on flights less than 17 hours?

Timothy
Old Jul 27, 2004, 6:41 pm

Programs: QF Gold
Originally Posted by FWAAA
What idiots. Allowing hysteria to rule the day.

On a different note, only 246 pax on a 747? I realize it's winter down under, but it's nice here in LA. Why isn't the plane packed with Aussie tourists headed to California for a holiday?
because unlike americans we have fares 2x larger than you have for the same flights.
Old Jul 27, 2004, 6:42 pm
Joh

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Honours Gold, KLM Gold
Here's looking at you Kid...

The Sydney Morning Show pondered on the meaning of "BOB" and concluded (this was confirmed via many emails that came in during the show) that flight crew also refer to "BOB" as "Best On Board".

In other words: "Where's BOB today?" In other words: "Whose the Best Looking Passenger on Board?"

And, of course, "BOB" also stands for "Bomb on Board"...
Old Jul 27, 2004, 6:51 pm

Programs: QF Gold
I bet if it was an asian or australian airline nothing would have happened

Why are you saying australians have become idiots? (although i must say those in government are)
The flight was an American one. to america. By an american aircraft, with american crew (i think)

so why the need to say that australia is overreacting.
Old Jul 27, 2004, 6:53 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by Joh
The Sydney Morning Show pondered on the meaning of "BOB" and concluded (this was confirmed via many emails that came in during the show) that flight crew also refer to "BOB" as "Best On Board".

In other words: "Where's BOB today?" In other words: "Whose the Best Looking Passenger on Board?"

And, of course, "BOB" also stands for "Bomb on Board"...
In this case, "BOB" refers to a prize-winning Boob on Board, namely the Captain of UA840 who made the terrorists victors yet again.

"Is Captain Boob our pilot again today? Yes? Great. Put me on Qantas, please."
Old Jul 27, 2004, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by bdschobel
Now even the Australians, my last hope for intelligent humans, are acting like morons
From the press reports, it seems that the Captain made the decision -- consistent with him having total command of the plane while in the air.

For those interested, see SMH's gallery of pics here: http://smh.com.au/photogallery/2004/...693963510.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.