Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

If you ever wanted Jeff Smisek's email address...

Old Apr 20, 2011, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Platinum

[email protected]

http://money.cnn.com/video/news/2011...mails.fortune/

why is it that the CEO can answer emails faster than customer service?
Old Apr 20, 2011, 6:11 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Some of the other video's are also interesting

Making a successful airline merger

Spending $25,000 a minute on jet fuel

United's innovation: Fees

Originally Posted by elcid3
...why is it that the CEO can answer emails faster than customer service?
well he forwards 99+% to Customer Care

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 20, 2011 at 6:17 pm Reason: fixed formatting
Old Apr 21, 2011, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA 1k
I just came over here to tell you all about the video, but you found it! pretty cool.

He actually has a decent sense of humor.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 2:27 pm
Suspended

thanks

I just sent an email regarding the new 120 qualification level - hope he responds
Old Apr 21, 2011, 4:17 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
In the video, he stated that he will personally respond to customer emails if he finds it particularly compelling; majority of them are just customer gripes/issues (i.e. devaluation, poor service, etc.) go to the CS people.

I suspect if one writes a concise and articulated email that had valid issues or points that is beyond your normal CS canned reply, it may garner a response.

I have read some very well thought out and interesting points of views from our fellow FT'ers, and I think those kinds of posts would get a response.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 8:08 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
well he forwards 99+% to Customer Care
I think he'd be more accurate to state that 100% of them go a secretary and <1% of those get forwarded to him instead of customer care.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 8:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Very fascinating interviews, and I am very impressed with Jeff.

Thank you WineCountryUA for sharing the links.

While the jury is still out and I am not ready to applaud his work yet, I am willing to give Jeff the benefits of the doubt. I am not sure why so many people on FT dislike him, but to each its own

So far, however, I have been pleasantly surprised and somewhat impressed, and the fact that my 75% of my flying in 2011 has been on UACO speaks for itself (the rest has been on Useless Air to get my mileage & EQM because it does not make any sense to fly anyone else for some of the destinations).
Old Apr 21, 2011, 8:53 pm

Programs: UA 1P, HHonors Gold, Hertz Gold, SPG Gold
Good Vid. I liked his candor and honesty. He's nuts for giving out his email to 150m people but that's his problem now.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 9:16 pm

Programs: AA Plat
I found it fascinating he referred to employees as co-workers, instead of placing himself above them as most CEO's do.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld
I suspect if one writes a concise and articulated email that had valid issues or points that is beyond your normal CS canned reply, it may garner a response.
*May* is the key word here. Jeff is very good at telling people what they want to hear.

Originally Posted by TheBagman
I think he'd be more accurate to state that 100% of them go a secretary and <1% of those get forwarded to him instead of customer care.
This is spot on. I've written a few times about non-complaint issues and have received responses from folks a few levels down who had no clue how to answer my questions/comments.

Originally Posted by PamT
I found it fascinating he referred to employees as co-workers, instead of placing himself above them as most CEO's do.
Fascinating? Maybe. It does sound like he's a down to earth guy, but it ends there. Make no mistake, Jeff may give off this progressive CEO aura, but he does what he wants at the end of the day. Don't be fooled. Maybe a 1990 livery rings a bell.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 4:31 am

Programs: CX SL, AB Gold, AF/KL FB Silver, HU/HX Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by TheBagman
Previously, I wrote to his co.com email and I was really shocked when he replied personally on two different occasions. I had expected for a reply from "Executive Customer Relations" or something.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 6:39 am

Programs: DL DM
wow, if they showed a clip of that on boarding instead of the changes you'll like crap, maybe everyone wouldn't think he a smug

Last edited by iluv2fly; Apr 22, 2011 at 7:43 am Reason: language
Old Apr 22, 2011, 8:15 am

He does read and respond -- but I never write about personal issues -- only brief suggestions to broad issues or opportunities. Though in my work exchanges with CEOs are common so have practice keeping it clean and direct.

He's been forthcoming in giving a heads up that a particular suggestion is in the works.

I only do it on occasion, and his predecessor Kellner was also good about it.

Really hope people don't abuse the privilege and think carefully before writing the question "is this something that could improve things for a large number of flyers?"
Old Apr 22, 2011, 9:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by sapguy
Very fascinating interviews, and I am very impressed with Jeff.

Thank you WineCountryUA for sharing the links.

While the jury is still out and I am not ready to applaud his work yet, I am willing to give Jeff the benefits of the doubt. I am not sure why so many people on FT dislike him, but to each its own

So far, however, I have been pleasantly surprised and somewhat impressed, and the fact that my 75% of my flying in 2011 has been on UACO speaks for itself (the rest has been on Useless Air to get my mileage & EQM because it does not make any sense to fly anyone else for some of the destinations).
He appears to be doing what he feels is best for the company. That doesn't always coincide with what is best for each individual customer or group of customers. So, yes - I guess I'm quite impressed with him too - but wil continue to take the piss re/ his videos.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 9:38 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Uncle Jeff (or one of his minions) does read his e-mail as I sent two to his UA e-mail address praising two UA employees and within 24 hours later I rec'd a response thanking me and telling me that the employees* would be contacted about my letter.

*both individual employees were named in his e-mail so somebody did read it

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.