Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

United forcing to gate check a bag to destination

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United forcing to gate check a bag to destination

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2011, 11:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Looks like it was UA 309 (currently in the air), operated by a 757. Departed 13 mins late, expected to arrive 16 mins late into SFO (10:14pm)

Assuming the OP is then connecting to UA 62, currently scheduled to depart on time at 10:36pm, s/he will have the pleasure to hustle from gate 89 to 73A. About as bad as it could get (ignoring the remote possibility of a domestic flight departing from the international terminal at that time of the day)

This is exactly correct, we just landed now and still have to taxi to gate. Even if I sprint and make it, the chances of my bag making it are iffy. An plus I leave Seattle at 8 am heading to Vancouver, then onward to about 10 other cities over next few days. So.....this could suck not having my bag. Let's hope this ground crew is hopping...
Old Apr 14, 2011, 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by zombietooth
You have the right to request testing it in the sizer.
True that. But there's a rule in UA Ops Specs that says that in addition to all the numbers, weights, or other dimensions of a piece of luggage, any UA employee has the right and power to decide where a bag ultimately ends up. If a flight looks like it'll have a lot if extra space, an FA or GA can allow an oversize bag in the cabin. Conversely, if space is very tight, the FA or GA can tell you that your hatbox will have to be checked. They don't make that widely known because they don't want employees getting all "power-trippy" about it, but the rule exists nonetheless

Essentially, an OpSpec becomes FAR, as in Federal Law, so best to just go along with the agent or FA; they carry the power of federal law in their words.

FAB
Old Apr 14, 2011, 11:31 pm
Original Poster

Ran my ... off and barely made it, will see if my bag makes it....will update on arrival...
Old Apr 14, 2011, 11:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by freshairborne
True that. But there's a rule in UA Ops Specs that says that in addition to all the numbers, weights, or other dimensions of a piece of luggage, any UA employee has the right and power to decide where a bag ultimately ends up. If a flight looks like it'll have a lot if extra space, an FA or GA can allow an oversize bag in the cabin. Conversely, if space is very tight, the FA or GA can tell you that your hatbox will have to be checked. They don't make that widely known because they don't want employees getting all "power-trippy" about it, but the rule exists nonetheless

Essentially, an OpSpec becomes FAR, as in Federal Law, so best to just go along with the agent or FA; they carry the power of federal law in their words.

FAB
Agree with you on all points. However, in this case, OP stated that there was plenty of space, seemingly removing the discretion of the FA/GA in that regard. However, since they have all of the power, we are always at their mercy. The only Ace in our hand is a willingness to miss one's flight. The complications resulting from having to find and remove a checked bag in that case can cause even the most strident GA to yield. However, I would never recommend taking any but the most conciliatory tone with them in these situations.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 11:51 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by zombietooth
Agree with you on all points. However, in this case, OP stated that there was plenty of space, seemingly removing the discretion of the FA/GA in that regard. However, since they have all of the power, we are always at their mercy. The only Ace in our hand is a willingness to miss one's flight. The complications resulting from having to find and remove a checked bag in that case can cause even the most strident GA to yield. However, I would never recommend taking any but the most conciliatory tone with them in these situations.
As this is a domestic leg, why would anyone find and remove any checked luggage if you fail to board? When one surrenders a bag to be checked to a destination in the lobby, you accept the fact that the bag will be transported to that destination. The claim check given to you in the lobby as a way to claim it at the destination printed on it kind of confirms that.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by freshairborne
They don't make that widely known because they don't want employees getting all "power-trippy" about it, but the rule exists nonetheless

FAB
Interesting. Thanks.

I am all for enforcing the size rules for carry-ons, but it appears that wasn't the issue here.

I have never run into the situation that the OP described, but if I did (ie if my appropriately sized bag was force-gate-checked without reason), the DOT would hear about it (at least in aggregate my complaint might then count for something).
Old Apr 15, 2011, 12:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by fastair
As this is a domestic leg, why would anyone find and remove any checked luggage if you fail to board? When one surrenders a bag to be checked to a destination in the lobby, you accept the fact that the bag will be transported to that destination. The claim check given to you in the lobby as a way to claim it at the destination printed on it kind of confirms that.
Not referring to PPBM. I am referring to suspicious behavior of a passenger refusing to board a flight at the gate who already has checked baggage. Last I heard, the Feds want the bags removed for a passenger that refuses to board the flight for whatever reason. Has this changed?
Old Apr 15, 2011, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Might also be good to remember that the bag about to-be-force-checked can contain items not allowed in checked luggage such as loose batteries.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...batteries.shtm
Old Apr 15, 2011, 12:32 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
I'd like to hear the measurements of the actual bag at issue...
Old Apr 15, 2011, 12:46 am

Originally Posted by Always Flyin
I'd like to hear the measurements of the actual bag at issue...
OP sounds like a reasonable guy, so perhaps he will post the actual dimensions, including wheels/handle. However, having personally witnessed capricious enforcement on numerous occasions, I lean towards giving him the benefit of the doubt.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pyridoxine
Ran my ... off and barely made it, will see if my bag makes it....will update on arrival...
UA 62 appears to have left four minutes early (10:32pm). If the bag didn't make it, this was the last flight for today and the first one tomorrow morning won't arrive until 8:25am, so OP might be separated from his bag for a while.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 1:37 am
Original Poster

Just landed in Seattle, about to go find out if I'll have clothes for the next 4 days of mileage running.....
Old Apr 15, 2011, 1:40 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
UA 62 appears to have left four minutes early (10:32pm). If the bag didn't make it, this was the last flight for today and the first one tomorrow morning won't arrive until 8:25am, so OP might be separated from his bag for a while.
If he had to run to make his connection, I don't see how his bag could have made it (could be proven wrong though).

Did the OP say what his status was? Might have made a difference.

I would suggest that the wise approach is to always pack a smaller bag within your carry-on. It need only be cloth (or even plastic), but in such circumstances you just transfer your most treasured possessions to your much smaller bag and pockets and let the horrible FA gate-check an almost empty roll-aboard. Then who cares if it is lost, damaged or otherwise mistreated, your insurance (and UA) will cover that.

Must say that such bad treatment has never happened to me, but my carry ons are rather modest.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 1:48 am
Original Poster

[QUOTE=Grace B;16222111]If he had to run to make his connection, I don't see how his bag could have made it (could be proven wrong though).

I basically full on sprinted the entire terminal and the closed the door probably 3 minutes after I boarded. We pushed back prob 3-4 after that. I will be very surprised to actually see it here in Seattle....here's for hoping tho....
Old Apr 15, 2011, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Pyridoxine, please keep us updated. i hope your bag made it.

i had a gate agent once insist on gate checking my bag, (my upgrade hadn't cleared and it was a full flight). she put the tag on it and told me to wheel it to the door of the plane and leave it at the end of jetway. as a 1k, boarding early, i knew there'd be space...so i stood in line with everyone else, pulled the gate check tag off once i was out of sight of the agent and boarded the plane with my bag.

as i boarded, i said to the flight attendant 'gate agent said i'd have to check this, but can we see if there's space?' there was PLENTY of space, and FA said 'no problem.'

i've seen GA's do this in a variety of cities, where they pick no status pax and insist they check a bag...and then the flight leaves with overhead space available. i don't really get that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.