Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger) [closed to posting]
Sign in using an external account

 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Mar 19, 11, 11:35 am   #1
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: NYC
Programs: AA Plat, DL Silver, MR Plat, SPG Plat, CP Diamond, PC Gold, HH Silver
Posts: 472
United Mileage Plus Shopping Toolbar

Hey all. I didn't see anyone post this yet,...

Looks like United has just, or very recently, added a Shopping portal toolbar.

https://www.mileageplusshopping.com/...rdownload.aspx

No signup bonus currently being offered, but that may change if this indeed brand new.

If curious,...the United toolbar and shopping portal more closely resembles the AA toolbar and portal than that of US Air.

Like existing shopping toolbars, this one is also run by FreeCause. Same rules apply, as far as I can see,...

Q. How do I earn Mileage Plus award miles for Yahoo! searches made through the toolbar?
A. When the toolbar is active you'll earn 1 mile for every 3 valid searches you perform. Up to 100 Mileage Plus award miles per month can be earned by performing 300 valid Mileage Plus Shopping Toolbar searches powered by Yahoo! Search.


FYI,...I have 3 toolbars installed on Firefox,...AA, US Air and now United. All 3 play nicely together.

Looks like every airline is jumping on the bandbagon with these things, which is nice. Going forward, no one should ever be in the position to allow their miles to expire ever again.


JB
Jack Burton is offline  
Old Mar 19, 11, 11:41 am   #2
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: NYC
Programs: AA Plat, DL Silver, MR Plat, SPG Plat, CP Diamond, PC Gold, HH Silver
Posts: 472
MODS,...if you feel this thread is better suited for MilesBuzz!, rather than for the United forum, then please feel free to relocate it.

Thanks,

JB
Jack Burton is offline  
Old Mar 19, 11, 4:24 pm   #3
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Washington, D.C.
Programs: UA Premier Gold; also AA, DL, and US
Posts: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Burton View Post
MODS,...if you feel this thread is better suited for MilesBuzz!, rather than for the United forum, then please feel free to relocate it.
I for one was very happy to this here; it's absolutely germane to MP and I don't check MilesBuzz very often. Thanks for posting!
ZenFlyer is offline  
Old Mar 19, 11, 6:53 pm   #4
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: SCE, GRU
Programs: UA MP Premier Gold (Life), Hyatt Platinum, Various other hotel FS pgms
Posts: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Burton View Post
MODS,...if you feel this thread is better suited for MilesBuzz!, rather than for the United forum, then please feel free to relocate it.

Thanks,

JB
I think this thread is appropriate here as well. It is new info (to me) and I did not know about it before. OP makes a great point about not worrying about expiring miles ever again (more important for some family members that myself!).
stanscan is offline  
Old Mar 19, 11, 7:49 pm   #5
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: IAD
Programs: UA Platinum
Posts: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenFlyer View Post
I for one was very happy to this here; it's absolutely germane to MP and I don't check MilesBuzz very often. Thanks for posting!
+1

Thanks for posting!
eerickso is offline  
Old Mar 19, 11, 8:51 pm   #6
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Programs: UA 1K, TK *G, PC Plat/Amb, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Posts: 1,406
Man, I wish they had something that worked with Google Chrome. I went Chrome a while back and can never go back to IE or FF.
iceman77_7 is online now  
Old Mar 19, 11, 9:59 pm   #7
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Diego
Programs: UA Life Plat (2.6 MM), AA Life Gold, DL Gold, Marriott Life Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Plat
Posts: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman77_7 View Post
Man, I wish they had something that worked with Google Chrome. I went Chrome a while back and can never go back to IE or FF.
Not even for miles?

Thanks for posting. I have downloaded for Mrs FTF's computer and got her going for this month - had to hurry and finish another airline to do it.

Trying to decide whether to go ahead and download for myself now or wait to see if there will be a download bonus. You'd think it would be there up front if so - that is, if you believed Vesdia or Freecause were competent. Guess I'll give it a few days, since both the AA and US toolbars debuted with download bonuses. And of course, I'll watch this space!

FTF
__________________
Trampled in the race to the bottom
FullTimeFlyer is offline  
Old Mar 19, 11, 10:50 pm   #8
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K / CO PLT
Posts: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullTimeFlyer View Post
Not even for miles?

Thanks for posting. I have downloaded for Mrs FTF's computer and got her going for this month - had to hurry and finish another airline to do it.

Trying to decide whether to go ahead and download for myself now or wait to see if there will be a download bonus. You'd think it would be there up front if so - that is, if you believed Vesdia or Freecause were competent. Guess I'll give it a few days, since both the AA and US toolbars debuted with download bonuses. And of course, I'll watch this space!

FTF
I am sorry - there already WAS a download bonus of 250 miles. I downloaded it while they had the sign and apparently they are not offering the bonus miles anymore. If they feel that not enough people are downloading it they may offer it again, but THEY ALREADY OFFERED THE INITIAL DOWNLOAD BONUS PROMOTIONS.
__________________
R.I.P. United Air Lines -2012
saaws is offline  
Old Mar 20, 11, 2:23 am   #9
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: NYC
Programs: AA Plat, DL Silver, MR Plat, SPG Plat, CP Diamond, PC Gold, HH Silver
Posts: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by saaws View Post
I am sorry - there already WAS a download bonus of 250 miles. I downloaded it while they had the sign and apparently they are not offering the bonus miles anymore. If they feel that not enough people are downloading it they may offer it again, but THEY ALREADY OFFERED THE INITIAL DOWNLOAD BONUS PROMOTIONS.

Thanks, but when was this? I've been on the United website many times over the past few weeks and only noticed it yesterday.
Jack Burton is offline  
Old Mar 20, 11, 8:19 am   #10
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: IAD...and loving it?!
Programs: UA Gold-0.99!MM, HH Diamond
Posts: 538
Download bonus still in effect...

Got an email about the toolbar this morning. The link goes to https://www.mileageplusshopping.com/...wnload250.aspx where it still states there is a 250 mile bonus after first use before April 30th. Downside is that the bonus posts up to 10 weeks after the end of the promotion which I take to mean mid-July!

Watch the last installation page which, by default, offers to hide all of your other toolbars!
Portolan is offline  
Old Mar 20, 11, 8:29 am   #11
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: NYC
Programs: AA Plat, DL Silver, MR Plat, SPG Plat, CP Diamond, PC Gold, HH Silver
Posts: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portolan View Post
Got an email about the toolbar this morning. The link goes to https://www.mileageplusshopping.com/...wnload250.aspx where it still states there is a 250 mile bonus after first use before April 30th. Downside is that the bonus posts up to 10 weeks after the end of the promotion which I take to mean mid-July!

Watch the last installation page which, by default, offers to hide all of your other toolbars!

Question,...when you take the link it mentions the 250 bonus, or does it only state the bonus in the email you received?

When I take your link, I don't see the bonus info mentioned. Then again, I have already installed it, so maybe I wouldn't see it.

Thanks!
Jack Burton is offline  
Old Mar 20, 11, 10:58 am   #12
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Diego
Programs: UA Life Plat (2.6 MM), AA Life Gold, DL Gold, Marriott Life Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Plat
Posts: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Burton View Post
Question,...when you take the link it mentions the 250 bonus, or does it only state the bonus in the email you received?

When I take your link, I don't see the bonus info mentioned. Then again, I have already installed it, so maybe I wouldn't see it.

Thanks!
I only saw the 250 miles offer once I signed in; the page title from the link with the 250 in it sent by Portolan changed to something generic. But it's BS - the offer doesn't print either by pdf or screen shot. (Like everything Vesdia touches, it sucks technically.)

Maybe it'll come up again in a way I can copy. The last couple have posted, although of course it took 5 months for them to do US. So it'll probably work, but given their record I'd prefer I could prove the offer.

FTF
__________________
Trampled in the race to the bottom

Last edited by FullTimeFlyer; Mar 20, 11 at 11:04 am. Reason: Typo
FullTimeFlyer is offline  
Old Mar 20, 11, 12:41 pm   #13
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: IAD...and loving it?!
Programs: UA Gold-0.99!MM, HH Diamond
Posts: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Burton View Post
Question,...when you take the link it mentions the 250 bonus, or does it only state the bonus in the email you received?

When I take your link, I don't see the bonus info mentioned. Then again, I have already installed it, so maybe I wouldn't see it.

Thanks!
Interesting. I see, quite clearly, an offer for 250 points. The scary thing here is to believe that a United web site has the sophistication to discriminate between those linking via an email (which also promised the 250 miles) and those accessing the link directly. Since I received the email announcing this just this morning, I'd have been perturbed if the link didn't follow through on that offer a couple of hours later. So, maybe this was targeted with some degree of web site competence.
Portolan is offline  
Old Mar 20, 11, 1:16 pm   #14
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: NYC
Programs: AA Plat, DL Silver, MR Plat, SPG Plat, CP Diamond, PC Gold, HH Silver
Posts: 472
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portolan View Post
Interesting. I see, quite clearly, an offer for 250 points. The scary thing here is to believe that a United web site has the sophistication to discriminate between those linking via an email (which also promised the 250 miles) and those accessing the link directly. Since I received the email announcing this just this morning, I'd have been perturbed if the link didn't follow through on that offer a couple of hours later. So, maybe this was targeted with some degree of web site competence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullTimeFlyer View Post
I only saw the 250 miles offer once I signed in; the page title from the link with the 250 in it sent by Portolan changed to something generic. But it's BS - the offer doesn't print either by pdf or screen shot. (Like everything Vesdia touches, it sucks technically.)

Maybe it'll come up again in a way I can copy. The last couple have posted, although of course it took 5 months for them to do US. So it'll probably work, but given their record I'd prefer I could prove the offer.

FTF


Ok, I can now confirm the 250 mile bonus offer as well. Screen shot included for those that want/need proof. The offer was clearly noted at the top of the page, but ONLY when I logged back in.

The bonus offer was definitely NOT displayed when I signed up yesterday. Maybe I caught them in the middle of their update,...seeing the "NEW Toolbar" on the updated main page, but signed up before the toolbar page was updated with the bonus info. Since emails are being sent out today, it would seem to make sense. Funny though, I did not receive the email myself, so not quite sure how or why this offer would be targeted,...very odd.

Anyhow,...Thanks guys. Further proof that FT works best when we all work together.


JB



Jack Burton is offline  
Old Mar 20, 11, 4:08 pm   #15
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Francisco
Programs: Lowly 1K
Posts: 5,805
I now have two toolbars installed. Pretty soon my entire browser will be airline toolbars!
__________________
From 1K to 1Kettle in 1 generation....CPU Success Rate 2014: 7/12 segments (58%).
demkr is offline  
 
 
 

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:09 pm.