Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger) [closed to posting]
Sign in using an external account

 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 20, 11, 9:09 am   #1
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: COS
Programs: AA-Plat, UA-1K, PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.4MM-lite, COUA-1.0MM-BIS
Posts: 11,536
Award accelerator and EQMs

CO has elite maximizer with an EQM option when you book CO tickets. UA has an award accelerator option with just RDMs.

I realized yesterday that for all intents and purpose, the combination of award accelerator and M+ Chase Visa Choices gives you an EQM option. You buy miles (currrently about 2.5 cents/RDM), and then on a 10 to 1 conversion ratio, redeem them for EQMs, thus making the price per EQM on M+ 25 cents.

According to http://thepointsguy.com/2010/12/cont...r-a-good-deal/ CO elite maximizer EQMs cost between 6 and 30 cents (I don't know if the RDMs come with that).

25 cents per EQM is steep, but in some situations it might be worth it. For example I was 1000 miles short of 175K EQM last year, and wanted to get the 25K RDM bonus. So I redeemed 10K RDM choices miles, to get 1000 EQMs. Had I bought 10K RDMs through award accelerator, I would have paid $250. A one way SFO/DEN cost me the same yesterday, which nets about 1000 EQMs. For me, it was better than an MR.
__________________
Robert Crandall on American Airlines: it's a great company that does important work. But airlines are not an investment.
mre5765 is offline  
Old Feb 20, 11, 10:53 am   #2
Moderator, United Airlines, FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K 1.5MM, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Posts: 26,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by mre5765 View Post
....I realized yesterday that for all intents and purpose, the combination of award accelerator and M+ Chase Visa Choices gives you an EQM option. You buy miles (currrently about 2.5 cents/RDM), and then on a 10 to 1 conversion ratio, redeem them for EQMs, thus making the price per EQM on M+ 25 cents.....
two clarifications to your idea.
1) It is not RDMs that can be converted to EQMs but rather it is the ChoicePoints (special RDMs earned from Chase MP Visa purchases) that can be convert.
RDMs from flying and (I believe) RDMs from Award Accelerator are not eligible for conversion to EQMs.
2) there is a limit for 5K EQMs annually for converting ChoicePoints to EQMs


Quote:
Originally Posted by mre5765 View Post
...According to http://thepointsguy.com/2010/12/cont...r-a-good-deal/ CO elite maximizer EQMs cost between 6 and 30 cents (I don't know if the RDMs come with that).....
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...ds-merged.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...t-cheaper.html
WineCountryUA is offline  
Old Aug 28, 11, 6:12 pm   #3
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1
United Accelerated Miles

I will be short a couple of thousand miles to reach Premier Elite on the UAL Mileage Plus program. I will be taking 2 trips before the end of the year and will still need some miles. If I purchase accelerated miles before I go on the trips, do they count towards me going to the 50,000 mile premeir elite status?
AZWunderlust is offline  
Old Aug 28, 11, 6:17 pm   #4
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: DCA or IAD (originally DUB)
Programs: UA 1K 1.5MM, Hertz Platinum, Marriott/SPG Gold
Posts: 5,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZWunderlust View Post
I will be short a couple of thousand miles to reach Premier Elite on the UAL Mileage Plus program. I will be taking 2 trips before the end of the year and will still need some miles. If I purchase accelerated miles before I go on the trips, do they count towards me going to the 50,000 mile premeir elite status?
Welcome to FT!
Mileage Accelerator miles on UA don't count as EQMs (i.e. status miles).
You'll need to fly some more miles.
Pedantic point: 50,000 miles = Premier Executive (not Elite).
UAPremExecflyer is offline  
Old Aug 28, 11, 7:24 pm   #5
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: N Charleston South Carolina
Programs: UA 1K 1.94MM, DL GM (by 3.5MM), Marriott Lifetime Plat., Marriott Plat. Premier
Posts: 1,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer View Post
Welcome to FT!
Mileage Accelerator miles on UA don't count as EQMs (i.e. status miles).
You'll need to fly some more miles.
Pedantic point: 50,000 miles = Premier Executive (not Elite).
There is a way to do something like what you're interested in on the CO side. Basically, you buy a ticket, and then purchase the EQM option. Those miles count, and then you cancel the original ticket (of course, you had to BUY a refundable ticket to start with). You would first need a CO account, and then link to your MP account. The EQM should merge, and you should be set. I don't know the particular cost, but you can look in the CO forum and find out.

Billy
Delta3MM is offline  
Old Aug 28, 11, 9:04 pm   #6
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: DCA
Programs: SPG Gold, UA Epsilon-Minus Semi-Moron, Hyatt Plat, Priority Club Plat
Posts: 3,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer View Post
You'll need to fly some more miles.
... or redeem United Choices miles (basically, RDM earned from Chase cards) for EQM, at 10,000 RDM : 1,000 EQM (or EQS). This may be a useful alternative to doing a mileage run, depending on your individual circumstances. For more info, log in at https://secure.unitedmileageplus.com/BM0603TH6.jsp
__________________
Baffled by Hilton's award options? Read my multi-part FAQ.
beltway is offline  
Old Aug 29, 11, 12:07 am   #7
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Programs: AA EXP, Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Silver
Posts: 1,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta3MM View Post
There is a way to do something like what you're interested in on the CO side. Basically, you buy a ticket, and then purchase the EQM option. Those miles count, and then you cancel the original ticket (of course, you had to BUY a refundable ticket to start with).
Ticket doesn't need to be refundable if you cancel within 24 hours.
SFOPhD is offline  
Old Dec 20, 11, 11:48 am   #8
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Programs: UA Premiere Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Posts: 4
How do you access the elite maximizer on continental.com?

How do you access the elite maximizer on continental.com?
sakon35 is offline  
Old Dec 20, 11, 11:49 am   #9
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Metro Vancouver
Programs: D.R.E.A.D. Gold Card holder; UA 1K/1.004MM; SPG Pt-195; PCC Elite; MR LT Au
Posts: 40,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakon35 View Post
How do you access the elite maximizer on continental.com?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ds-merged.html
__________________
Join us in Antarctica in March 2015.
How much BS could a GS assess if a GS could assess BS?
mahasamatman is offline  
Old Jan 6, 12, 10:25 am   #10
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 73
Is this a good deal?

While checking my reservations to see if my UDU cleared which it hasn't I clicked on the Purchase miles link to see what it's going for and this came up.

29,232 Award Accelerator miles 585.00 USD
43,848 Award Accelerator miles 877.00 USD

I've never considered buying them before but this looks better than anything seen before. Is this a good deal?
mahanaloa is offline  
Old Jan 7, 12, 2:00 am   #11
Moderator, United Airlines, FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K 1.5MM, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Posts: 26,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahanaloa View Post
....
29,232 Award Accelerator miles 585.00 USD
43,848 Award Accelerator miles 877.00 USD

I've never considered buying them before but this looks better than anything seen before. Is this a good deal?
2 cpm is about as good as the Award Accelerator ever gets.

Is 2 cpm good? -- depends on what you would do with the miles.
An economy ticket USA-Europe is 60,000 miles -- @2cpm that would be $1,200. You could do better with a cash ticket. A domestic award is 25,000 miles -- $500 @2cpm. Sometimes an OK deal.
Using miles for premium awards, 100K for USA-European @2cpm is $2,000 -- abou half price.
WineCountryUA is offline  
Old Jan 9, 12, 2:46 pm   #12
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 73
Got it and mahalo for the reply!

New here, so much to learn and so many threads.
mahanaloa is offline  
 
 
 

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 4:08 am.