Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Economy Plus Seating With More Than One Guest" Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Economy Plus Seating With More Than One Guest" Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2006, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services - 1 MM, AA Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Platinum
Exclamation Consolidated "Economy Plus Seating With More Than One Guest" Thread [Merged]

What experience have people had getting more than 1 seat moved up to E+. I am a 1K and have some travel with the family coming up in the next few months.

In the past, I would just call a few times and eventually some customer service agent would move everyone up.

The Customer Service Agent told me today that the policy has now changed and they will not do that any more.

Anyone have any insight here?
Old May 15, 2006, 10:08 am

Yeah... I have that same problem on an itinerary coming up. There are 3 of us and I'm the 1K. So I rigged it so that I have a seat (A) and I'm free to bring up a companion (C). As a 1K the seat next to me is blocked (B). So essentially come check in I should be able to move the 3rd person next to me as my seat becomes available. There's still a risk that on day of departure the seat next to me will be given away (depending on load). But nobody voluntarily goes into a middle seat.
Old May 15, 2006, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How big is "family"?
Old May 15, 2006, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by corwinsl
Yeah... I have that same problem on an itinerary coming up. There are 3 of us and I'm the 1K. So I rigged it so that I have a seat (A) and I'm free to bring up a companion (C). As a 1K the seat next to me is blocked (B). So essentially come check in I should be able to move the 3rd person next to me as my seat becomes available. There's still a risk that on day of departure the seat next to me will be given away (depending on load). But nobody voluntarily goes into a middle seat.
I did not think they would let you "split" the row if only 1 person had status?
Old May 15, 2006, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services - 1 MM, AA Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Platinum
Family of 4. 1 of which is a new-born.

Paying for tickets for 3 people.
Old May 15, 2006, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by 787
I did not think they would let you "split" the row if only 1 person had status?
They may not... I didn't bother to check specifics. The CSR told me that there are two of us in the row in E+ and one vacant seat is blocked. The 3rd passenger is still seated in E-.
Old May 15, 2006, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by oag123

Well then this method should work because the newborn would not count.
Old May 15, 2006, 10:21 am

Programs: UA 1K in training

If you have a number of family trips coming up, I'd consider E+ Access ($300, I think) for your spouse. With two of you having access to E+, you should be able to get up to 4 seats in E+ (1 companion for each of you), plus you'll be able to get seat assignments together in advance rather than crossing your fingers on the day of departure.

If you roll the dice, it sounds like the parent with the lap child will either be stuck in E-, or be in E+ with both kids (unless your older child is old enough to sit by themselves). I say that with 2 kids, including one infant, it would be well worth it to get E+ access and reserve yourself a row in E+ right now.

Of course, YMMV.
Old May 15, 2006, 10:23 am

Programs: UA 1K in training
In the past, I would just call a few times and eventually some customer service agent would move everyone up.

The Customer Service Agent told me today that the policy has now changed and they will not do that any more.

I think they stopped giving "extra" complimentary seat assignments in E+ when they started selling the E+ "upgrades" at checkin. Before they were selling the E+ seats, they were willing to be flexible for Premiers because the seats would just be given away on the day of the flight anyways. Now that there's money involved, IME they're much more strict in enforcing E+ seating rules.
Old May 15, 2006, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K - 2MM, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
What experience have people had getting more than 1 seat moved up to E+. I am a 1K and have some travel with the family coming up in the next few months.

As a 1K, I have always been offered seating in E+ for me and my wife and 2 kids (usually in E+, seats A-D or C-F) with no problems. The tickets were even award tickets to boot. Getting everyone in E+ should be no problem.
Old May 15, 2006, 10:59 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by corwinsl
Yeah... I have that same problem on an itinerary coming up. There are 3 of us and I'm the 1K. So I rigged it so that I have a seat (A) and I'm free to bring up a companion (C)...
You can't do it that way. The companion must be seated next to the elite - no split seats. Of course, you could always book the middle for yourself, put your companion in the aisle or window next to you and hope that the "elite seat block" holds up. There might, however, be a problem with just moving someone up to the vacant E+ seat. Recently, FAs have been better at enforcing this.

JR
Old May 15, 2006, 11:06 am
Suspended

What experience have people had getting more than 1 seat moved up to E+.
For the sake of other Elites, I would hope your chances are slim to none.

UA provides ways for you to do this, be it with higher fares or E+ Access program. Barring that, I would hope UA would NOT allow this to happen.
Old May 15, 2006, 11:23 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Gold
I was unsuccessful a couple of times trying to do this last year. I gave my wife premier status this year. This allows all four of us to access E+.
Old May 15, 2006, 11:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Fisk
I was unsuccessful a couple of times trying to do this last year.
Good for UA! ^

To the OP: Pay for what you want, and you'll get it.
Old May 15, 2006, 11:28 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by RobotDoctor
As a 1K, I have always been offered seating in E+ for me and my wife and 2 kids (usually in E+, seats A-D or C-F) with no problems. The tickets were even award tickets to boot. Getting everyone in E+ should be no problem.
Were those standard awards, or savers? Standard awards are equivalent to "full fare" seats, and therefor qualify for E+ by default.

My experience has been that I can pull one person up to E+, sitting right next to me. I have never been able to get all three of us in E+ (and I have tried repeatedly), or to get the one person I pull up to E+ into a seat other than my "blocked" middle.

I typically have much better luck at the gate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.