FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger-504/)
-   -   Status Match From Certain Programs to 1K May Now Be Possible (Jan 2011) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger/1169573-status-match-certain-programs-1k-may-now-possible-jan-2011-a.html)

anc-ord772 Jan 7, 2011 4:35 pm

Status Match From Certain Programs to 1K May Now Be Possible (Jan 2011)

This is mentioned on page 35 of the The New Airlines Status Match thread, but I thought it deserved its own space here in the UMP forum as it directly affects United fliers. This is legit as an EXP friend received the same email from UA yesterday when inquiring about a status match.

Some interesting notes at one mile at a time saying UA will match AA, Delta, Czech Airlines, EVA Airways, and Alitalia.

I can't imagine I am the first to post this in the forum, so if this has already been posted or violates the TC's mods can shut it down.

Hello ******,

Thank you for your interest in our Elite Status Match.

Before we process your request, I wanted to advise you of a couple
changes we made to the program in 2011.

Prior to January 1, 2011, we were not able to match up to 1K status.
The highest level we could upgrade was Premier Executive. The criteria
to maintain the Premier Executive status was 15,000 qualifying flight
miles or 20 qualifying flight segments.

In 2011, we are able to match up to 1K status with the requirements of
35,000 paid, qualifying miles or 40 segments on qualifying flights*
within that 90-day timeframe. The Premier Executive requirements are
fly 17,500 paid, qualifying miles or 22 segments on qualifying
flights* within that 90-day timeframe.

*Qualifying lights must be operated by United, United Express,
Continental, Continental Connection or Continental Express with a
United or Continental flight number and credited to the member's
Mileage Plus account. Flights operated by United, United Express,
Continental, Continental Connection or Continental Express that have a
partner’s codeshare flight number do not qualify. Flights operated by
any other airline do not qualify.

We would like to know if you would like to be upgraded to the 1K level
or the Premier Executive level for your 90 day time-frame. Please
reply to this e-mail and we will be happy to get your request
processed.

I appreciate your time and understanding.

Regards,

Service Director
Mileage Plus

WineCountryUA Jan 7, 2011 4:38 pm

Besides the 1K status match -- a significant change from the past. It is also interesting to note that either UA or CO operated & marketed flights qualify -- a logical "enhancement." Other *A codeshares continue not to qualifly.

mherdeg Jan 7, 2011 4:40 pm

Once someone verifies this policy change, somehow I think this improves the odds that the huge batch of 1Ks who want out (a Executive Platinum match) will get it.

WineCountryUA Jan 7, 2011 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by mherdeg (Post 15607677)
Once someone verifies this policy change, somehow I think this improves the odds that the huge batch of 1Ks who want out (a Executive Platinum match) will get it.

from reader comment #4 on one mile at a time

I called to inquire about this and was told they are matching top tier from AA, Delta, and get ready for this: Czech Airlines, EVA Airways, and Alitalia. However, the more I think about it, I think the agent was saying they are matching to 1K from AA & DL and added those airlines to the status challenge program.
Let the Elite Wars start!!

SOBE ER DOC Jan 7, 2011 4:54 pm

Anyone want to fancy a guess as to whether or not UA will status match under this scenario:

I started a new job in late 2010. Corporate travel got me a comp to Premier Exec. I am Diamond with DL (125K threshold...hit 175K in 2010). Not flying much with US due to the limited UGs at my current level (I never miss an UG on DL).

Wondering if I call and plead my case with all of my DL travel if they would grant me the challenge.

Thoughts...?

WineCountryUA Jan 7, 2011 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC (Post 15607768)
... Wondering if I call and plead my case with all of my DL travel if they would grant me the challenge.

Thoughts...?

worth a try - all they can say is no.

BlissWorld Jan 7, 2011 5:40 pm

Highly unlikely.

1. The OP only had less than 10 posts
2. One other anonymous person who commented supposedly called

Unless there's something in writing or someone on FT who is believable is able to confirm, I wouldn't read too much into it.

AA certainly isn't going to offer an EXP match just because of some internet rumor.

Now, UA does have 1K "challenge" but it is by invitation only, much like GS. So, this could very well be just an invitation and not available to the public.

LessO2 Jan 7, 2011 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by BlissWorld (Post 15608022)
AA certainly isn't going to offer an EXP match just because of some internet rumor.

I think my irony detection device just exploded.

JeffS Jan 7, 2011 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by LessO2 (Post 15608105)

My thoughts exactly. :D

anc-ord772 Jan 7, 2011 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by BlissWorld (Post 15608022)
Highly unlikely.

1. The OP only had less than 10 posts
2. One other anonymous person who commented supposedly called

Unless there's something in writing or someone on FT who is believable is able to confirm, I wouldn't read too much into it.

Now, UA does have 1K "challenge" but it is by invitation only, much like GS. So, this could very well be just an invitation and not available to the public.

Funny you mention this. This all started because my friend emailed asking me to take a look at the response he received from UA regarding a status match request. I searched on FT to see if it had been mentioned and found the email posted here and on one mile at a time with the exact same wording.

I think as more people with top tier status approach UA for a match we will get additional corroboration, but I have no reason to discount it at this time.

lucky9876coins Jan 7, 2011 7:41 pm

Not sure if I qualify as a reputable poster, but I have indeed confirmed the information posted in the status match master thread (and on my blog) is correct.;)

tom911 Jan 7, 2011 7:50 pm

Three weekend trips SFO-Europe and you're 1K. That can be done for around $2,000. Seems too easy to me. I hope other carriers don't match.

lucky9876coins Jan 7, 2011 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by tom911 (Post 15608696)
Three weekend trips SFO-Europe and you're 1K. That can be done for around $2,000. Seems too easy to me. I hope other carriers don't match.

Yes, though you don't earn SWUs or CR1s under the old system. So it's hardly really earning all the benefits of 1K for $2,000.

ldsant Jan 7, 2011 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by JeffS (Post 15608140)
My thoughts exactly. :D

+1!!! :D

brianfromwa Jan 7, 2011 10:29 pm

:check: I just called and they said it was only for DL Platinum, AA Platinum, Al Italia, Czech and Ewa Diamond...but it WAS available for these airlines.