Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Award travel change/redeposit fees, your thoughts?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award travel change/redeposit fees, your thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2010, 3:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, and no status whatsoever on the airlines (!)
Question Award travel change/redeposit fees, your thoughts?

I'm losing 1K status (hoping to at least get 1P) for 2011, and you know what I'll likely miss most? Award travel fee-free flexibility! The nature of my work makes it difficult to take off an extended period of time without stress, and so a trip to Europe this past summer was made a lot less stressful because I was able to make many changes to the outbound and inbound flights at last-minute (without worrying about exact city matches, etc.). Even was able to fly in C both ways, despite most saver-C seats to/from Europe being sold out... because they opened up the week before my trip!

Anyway, I was thinking... I'd be willing to pay a good chunk of cash yearly (when not 1K) for the peace of mind that comes with award travel flexibility. Heck, people can buy lots of yearly offerings from UA nowadays (E+, Premier Line access, etc.), why not an "Award Travel Flexipass"? Even if it reduced the change fee from $150 to, say, $50, I think that'd be awesome.

What do you think?

1) Would you be willing to fork out some dough to eliminate or reduce award travel fees, and if so, what'd you be willing to pay?
2) What changes in UA award travel fees (either an annual for-pay pass, simply reduced fees for everyone, or something else) would make you a more loyal paying UA flyer?
Old Nov 22, 2010, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
I'm sure UA makes a hefty chuck of cash through award change fees and would cringe at what it might cost for a program as you suggest.

Other than that: UA don't touch the 1K fee waivers!!!

How could one get run over by a zamboni? They're fun to drive
Old Nov 26, 2010, 10:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, and no status whatsoever on the airlines (!)
Well, my idea was that United could actually come out ahead financially by charging some of us a yearly fee just for the flexibility of changing our award travel for smaller or no fees. Sort of like insurance: insurance companies turn a hefty profit because people are happy to pay for peace-of-mind even if they're not guaranteed to come out ahead financially.

But yeah, I agree that they shouldn't touch the 1K fee waiver. And in fact, since I'll be 1P instead of 1K this coming year, they should extend the same waiver to 1P members :-D

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.