Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Join Us: 1K/GS Seeking to Move to AA and Have Executive Platinum Status Matched

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Join Us: 1K/GS Seeking to Move to AA and Have Executive Platinum Status Matched

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2010, 10:51 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd certainly consider this switch if and when AA offered flat bed seats in int'l business. Seatguru says there are no seats like that now, please let me know if that is incorrect.

Until then, I expect to use foreign carriers on routes where UA doesn't have flat bed seats or competitive Z fares.

Happy to give AA my domestic business just to make a point, even if it means some rides on MD80s

Last edited by RichardInSF; Nov 17, 2010 at 11:10 am
Old Nov 17, 2010, 11:21 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, SPG VIP
As much as I love certain aspects of UA (international network, CR-1s, Ch. 9), if they can't reconsider the 120 EQS requirement I would switch my business to AA if offered EXP.

It would be nice to know why my $20-$25k in spend on domestic short haul is worth less than $7k in cheap transcons.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 11:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott/SPG Plat
I'd consider it as well if we can swing an EXP match. Actually, AA is one of my company's preferred carriers, replacing UA after they were dropped earlier this year. Since the fares are still virtually identical, I've stayed with UA but can easily trade sides.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 11:32 am

Programs: UA 1K!, NWA PE
1K - I'm in if they match. Seems unlikely, but perhaps this will make it happen.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 11:38 am

Programs: Newly minted AA EXP Plat., disatisfied UA 1K, Marriott Silver & Hilton Gold
I'm interested. It appears AA has a better offering for me. Restricted SWUs are worthless to me. Well I guess now I would have needed them to replace the lost CR1s. The AA unrestricted upgrade instruments are extremely appealing to me.

I'm sure UA has no intent to keep E+. They are just delaying that message for as long as they can. Maybe waiting to hire that next great MBA, with no real world experience, to tell us how it will be another benefit.

And forget about MM benefits. You'll have the honor of receiving regular credit card mailings. Your permanent elite status will now fall two levels below 1k and within a year they will strip away this two measly CR-1s you thought you earned with years of flying.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA Platinum/2MM
Originally Posted by mjo768
1K - I'm in if they match. Seems unlikely, but perhaps this will make it happen.
That is my thought, exactly. But I will switch if they do EXP match.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 12:33 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, UAMP
Is there any good comparison if status features at certain mileagse points and comparisons of equipment and alliance benefits.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 12:35 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
I am ambivilent at the moment. I'm a little upset and don't like to make decisions in that state.

However, E+ goes away and I am in with both feet. ^
Old Nov 17, 2010, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
In with my 1K husband
Old Nov 17, 2010, 12:56 pm
In memoriam

I'm in -- UA 1K here, and I will probably flying a lot in the Caribbean next year... I can do it on UA/CO but could potentially be a great AA customer, since they have such a strong presence in that area, and with AA status I'd be far more likely to choose them. Thanks.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, Continental, Marriott, Starwood & Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hertz P.C.
Sheeple listen up:

There is not one mention or promise of UDU's being continued on UACO.
There is not one mention of E+ being continued on UACO
UACO is continuing to expand the use of sucky Express Flights even in big cities domestically providing us with an old fleet of planes with no comfort, no carry-on space and small first class cabins that are truly a sorry excuse for first class.
UA has been unfair in the GS renewal process guaranteeing GS for some that fly 50K qualifying miles but not others that have 50% more miles.
The post merger trend is not positive and, frankly, no one should expect it to be. The merger is about squeezing more money out of passengers not expanding service. With the mergers, we are approaching monopolies at key airports such as IAH, IAD, or even ORD.

Yeah, the next announcements might be awesome but as Wayne says "yeah, and monkey's might fly out of my butt"!! Just hope if that happens, it happens during an enhanced pat-down.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 1:05 pm

I was already considering a switch due to the ATI agreement, which was major news for me. I've put a lot of thought on how the two programs compare and I really don't see any advantage in MP. So I'm definitely in if we can get a match. Then again, even as a 1K I don't see myself as a high-value customer, so I doubt I'd be given EXP status.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
I'd be up for such a thing. I'm based in a UA/AA hub, I do primarily long haul TransPac and TATL and am on my own dime.
I'm at 1.4mm lifetime BIS on UA metal.

Good luck to us with this merger!! Dave
Old Nov 17, 2010, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Folks. I don't mean to burst your bubble, but the odds of getting a match to EXP are minuscule to non-existent. That's one thing that is AWESOME about AA. SO far, they have really protected us EXPs from program devaluations. That's something that may be difficult for you to appreciate right now, you it'll be a feature you love once you're EXP.

You guys would be much better served to enroll and complete a Plat challenge now and hammer out your 100k EQM/EQP or 100EQS as early as possible next year.

My 2 cents.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Originally Posted by AAExPlat
Folks. I don't mean to burst your bubble, but the odds of getting a match to EXP are minuscule to non-existent. That's one thing that is AWESOME about AA. SO far, they have really protected us EXPs from program devaluations. That's something that may be difficult for you to appreciate right now, you it'll be a feature you love once you're EXP.

You guys would be much better served to enroll and complete a Plat challenge now and hammer out your 100k EQM/EQP or 100EQS as early as possible next year.

My 2 cents.
Individually, we have no chance. But, as a large group of 1K and GSs, we might have a shot. Delta never matched anyone to Platinum in the past, but when they merged with Northwest, they offered Platinum match exclusively to CO Plats. It's the perfect time for AA to poach top level elites from UA right now and we have a good shot if we ask as a group, especially as top level elites from a major competitor promising to give all of our business to AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.