Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

October 29, 2010 - One-Way Star Alliance Awards Are Now Available

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2010, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat

Just booked an award ticket and the agent mentioned to me that starting late October (I think she said 29th), it would be possible to book one way Star Alliance awards.

Also, it would be possible to make changes to Star Awards after the outbound flight, even on other partners besides UA. If true and implemented right, this is a welcome change.

Anyone else heard of this or did I just miss the announcement?
Old Oct 19, 2010, 12:53 pm

If true this makes me very, very happy.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 1:01 pm

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
This is the second time that I recall that an agent said that, so maybe they know what they're talking about. That would be a great change as long as stopovers aren't eliminated on RT awards.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
would be great if true, especially if they allow us to combine different classes in different directions for a RT award, including a stopover, at the average of the two award price levels.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 1:15 pm

While one-way *A awards are useful, I really hope they won't eliminate stopovers like AA did (they only allow North America stopovers, with limitations). I've found it a great benefit to visit two places with one ticket and I'd be very disappointed if we lose that.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ExPlat,EX-UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat,
Originally Posted by koroleon
While one-way *A awards are useful, I really hope they won't eliminate stopovers like AA did (they only allow North America stopovers, with limitations). I've found it a great benefit to visit two places with one ticket and I'd be very disappointed if we lose that.
+1, hope UA will allow us to continue to do this.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by koroleon
Originally Posted by karung99
+1, hope UA will allow us to continue to do this.
Based upon my read of the UA website, Stopovers are not permitted:

• You must fly the most direct route from origin to destination. That means no stopovers. You can, however, make connections. Tip: If you want to visit multiple cities, you can use multiple One-Way Awards to create your itinerary.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 2:49 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by LAXOGG
Based upon my read of the UA website, Stopovers are not permitted:

• You must fly the most direct route from origin to destination. That means no stopovers. You can, however, make connections. Tip: If you want to visit multiple cities, you can use multiple One-Way Awards to create your itinerary.
That is the present rule for UA metal OW awards.
There has been no announcements for OW *A awards yet (although rumored). So it is hard to predict what will happen if and when *A OW awards are announced.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 3:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
That is the present rule for UA metal OW awards.
There has been no announcements for OW *A awards yet (although rumored). So it is hard to predict what will happen if and when *A OW awards are announced.
Agreed that there has been no announcement yet so everything is completely speculation. That said, regular return trips on UA metal are permitted a stopover while one-way journeys are not. It would be quite surprising for the *A rules to be more flexible than those of "home" metal awards.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 4:11 pm
Suspended

An agent told me about a week ago that the changes would be in effect Nov 1st. Hope multiple data points = reality.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Hope that stopovers will stay an option. I am going to make a speculative booking just in case...
Old Oct 19, 2010, 4:35 pm

Programs: AC SE, BA silver
My guess is rules would be the same as now for UA metal awards: one stopover permitted only on RT awards, none on OW awards.

I doubt they will effectively allow 2 stopovers + 1 open jaw per RT (which is what would happen if they allow 1 stopover for OW awards).
Old Oct 19, 2010, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iwillflytheworld
My guess is rules would be the same as now for UA metal awards: one stopover permitted only on RT awards, none on OW awards.

I doubt they will effectively allow 2 stopovers + 1 open jaw per RT (which is what would happen if they allow 1 stopover for OW awards).
Agreed.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
This would be a nice change on all accounts so long as stopovers remain allowed on a r/t.

I have a *A award in early Nov and will attempt to change change my dates after the outbound just to see.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 7:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by iwillflytheworld
That would be a double open-jaw as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.