Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

October 29, 2010 - One-Way Star Alliance Awards Are Now Available

October 29, 2010 - One-Way Star Alliance Awards Are Now Available

Old Oct 29, 2010, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37
What will be the allowable layover on a one-region award then?
I assume it's the normal layover, i.e. enough time to catch the next connecting flight, instead of forgoing the remaining connecting flights on the same day and overnighting at the transfer point, as long as the layover is less than 24 hours.

I should have an occasion to book a *A one-way, single-region award in the next few days and will report back with my actual experience.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 8:54 am

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
called this morning and was told the rollout would be Nov 1 - along with the ability to change flights on *A itins. CSA said they just had training on the new policies.

Got my ducks lined up awaiting the announcement.
Call back for a different agent. Post #54 said that it is already bookable at 1k line.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 9:39 am

called this morning and was told the rollout would be Nov 1 - along with the ability to change flights on *A itins. CSA said they just had training on the new policies.

Got my ducks lined up awaiting the announcement.
Originally Posted by lax2010
Call back for a different agent. Post #54 said that it is already bookable at 1k line.

I can confirm I called this morning and was able to book a 1-way on TK from Europe to Middle East.

As lax2010 suggested, call again.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 10:16 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Angeleno228
I can confirm I called this morning and was able to book a 1-way on TK from Europe to Middle East.

As lax2010 suggested, call again.
I was able to book 1-way on TK business class from Middle East to Europe few minutes ago.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 11:23 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Awesome! I would like an online tool now to do this.

The upside it is easy to search and plan out an itin. The downside more people will use it and increase the difficulty of finding what you want.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Just booked one-way C award HKG-SIN on SQ.

This is awesome
Old Oct 29, 2010, 12:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'm happy for the folks who like this benefit but one thing that hasn't been addressed yet is whether the one way awards are in addition to round trip awards - which include a stopover - or if they are replacing those traditional awards. Anyone know or willing to ask when you call in to book your trip?

I like the idea of one-way awards well enough but that stopover on the traditional award is HUGE for me. I get a TON of value from that. I'd hate to lose it.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by sbm12
Anyone know or willing to ask when you call in to book your trip?
Good idea your on it! ^

Domestic award reservations: 1-888-467-0507
International award reservations: 1-888-674-4680
Old Oct 29, 2010, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA-Gold, BA-Gold
Just got this tweet from UnitedAirlines:
United Airlines Mileage Plus One-Way Awards on Star Alliance partners are now available when booking via Reservations! http://bit.ly/difykH

(At the bottom of this announcement, there's a 'coming soon' blurb about being able to mix/match award levels on round-trip awards, so I guess round-trip awards are not going away, per se)
Old Oct 29, 2010, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Just twitted

http://www.united.com/page/article/1...itle=OneWayRes

Sometimes one way is all you need.
For times like that, we're now offering One-Way Awards. For half the miles of a roundtrip award (starting at 12,500 miles for a domestic Saver Award), you can fly one way on United-, United Express-operated flights, and Star Alliance partners.

The facts
One-Way Awards are available for both Saver Awards (fewer miles) and Standard Awards (more miles and more flexibility).
You can use these awards to fly United-, United Express-operated flights and Star Alliance partners. Sorry, these awards cannot currently be used with other airline partners.
You must fly the most direct route from origin to destination. That means no stopovers. You can, however, make connections. Tip: If you want to visit multiple cities, you can use multiple One-Way Awards to create your itinerary.
You can change your award ticket at any time or get a refund before you travel, but know that you may be charged a fee. See fee chart for details
See our destination guide for a list of countries and regions.
Complete One-Way Awards rules
Old Oct 29, 2010, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
The rules for round-trip awards as published on united.bomb still allow stopovers.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 1:18 pm

Programs: United 1kMM; AA EX Plat, Hilton Diamond and SPG Plat
got the tweet too. OW awards are great, just a bummer no stopover allowed. As for RT stopover, I have to think based on no mention of it, that they are still viable.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 1:18 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
I tried searching for itineraries like NRT-HKG and HND-GMP and can't find a single flight until Sept. 2011. When they say Star Alliance, do they mean just US and CO?
Old Oct 29, 2010, 1:25 pm

Programs: United 1kMM; AA EX Plat, Hilton Diamond and SPG Plat
Originally Posted by FireEmblemPride
I tried searching for itineraries like NRT-HKG and HND-GMP and can't find a single flight until Sept. 2011. When they say Star Alliance, do they mean just US and CO?
the FAQ's say you must call to book. The only OW awards that can be booked online are UA only awards, you can do RT US and CO awards online though, that might be what you're mixing up.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by rkaradi
got the tweet too. OW awards are great, just a bummer no stopover allowed. As for RT stopover, I have to think based on no mention of it, that they are still viable.
A Reservations agent just confirmed no changes to the free stopover or open jaw when traveling between regions, for roundtrip awards. ^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.