Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

my review of the “new liveried” CO 737-900

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2010, 2:18 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie

No, I didn’t fly it…..at the UA Fleet Week Open house at SFO, I did the walk thru of the “new liveried” UA/CO 737-900 and here are my observations…..

The mechanic on board for q&a said the a/c was a year old. I didn’t get the tail number but if you look at the photos that others have posted, you should see it there

As to the inside…

We “boarded” thru the rear door (2L?) so “going forward”….
Full aft galley
2 lavs with a modern looking throne (no, I did not use it ) and nice soft almost pinkish/purple lighting (and the door took a bit to open as the “push to open” side is not well marked). the lav on the left (as you face forward) has a fold up changing table and not sure if there is one in the other aft lav

The economy cabin is all e- tho I though that there might be a tad more legroom than UA’s e-
All seats have raisable headrests as on ua’s 57’s and airbus twins but they don't go up high enough nor do they tilt forward.
The last row in Y did not recline
There are 2 110/220v plugs (shared by 3 seats) under each row in coach
All seats have PTV’s in the seatback in front of you with the controls in your armrest
Overhead fan controls and reading lights both swivel where on UA a/c, the reading light is in a fixed position
The seats are quite comfortable
There are 2 over wing exit rows
The first exit row does not recline at all where on some ua a/c there is at least limited recline
The second exit row has full recline
Exit row legroom is quite good but imho, not as big as say row 11 on a UA 320
I thought the width of the exit row seats, even with the armrest tray tables, was a tad wider than ua

The first row of coach on the right side is where to sit as there was no full length floor to ceiling bulkhead so your feet can stretch under the last row of f/c just like on a 319 and for the aisle sea pax in this row, they stretch their legs in the aisle and not get their toes run over

The first row of coach on the left side is set back a bit from the row on the right side and there is a full floor to ceiling bulkhead which does restrict legroom.

First class has 5 rows of two seats each.
The last row of f appeared to have limited recline
All seats are leather and seemed wider than that on a UA 319/320
100/220 power tho I could not see if they were individual or shared.
The recline was not as good as I thought it would be (i.e. less than UA)
All seats have small slide out tray for a glass (or your warm nuts ) but unless I missed it, there is only one at the 12 o’clock position and shared by both pax
The tray tables are in the armrests and are smaller but they have a nice anti-skid feature on them
The first row of f/c appears to have limited leg room like on a 320 or 57 due to the full length bulkhead but if in row 1, 1b is what you want as there is a box like cutout (for a floor bassinette?) which gives about 3" more legroom

The headrests are much much smaller than that on a 329/320/57 and they don't go up high enough nor do they tilt forward but they are great as they will wrap completely up to your ears ‘n cheeks so your will not “tilt and they are in credibly soft and comfortable

Did not visit the lav as I “went” in the back
Full galley in f

Ok, that’s all my fading memory can remember and I know I’ve shared this with others so I you know of something I forgot, please feel free to add-and that goes for anyone else who took the tour as well.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 2:29 pm

Thanks for the info. I guess for the most part seems like an inside of a typical CO plane.
-Have they replaced the uncomfortable CO seats with something better, or still the same? (Find both Y and F in CO's cabin ridiculously hard. Plus CO's F seats are fully upright unlike UA's)
-Any information if the inside is representative of what will happen in the merger, or just a random example of what's flying now?
Old Oct 11, 2010, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by goalie
The first row of coach on the right side is where to sit as there was no full length floor to ceiling bulkhead so your feet can stretch under the last row of f/c just like on a 319 and for the aisle sea pax in this row, they stretch their legs in the aisle and not get their toes run over
The downside of the first row of coach on the right side (especially if you're in the aisle seat) is that you're side by side to the lav.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 2:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Plug points are nice, but no E+, no book.

Is anything on the PTV free?
Old Oct 11, 2010, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott Plat
The last row of f appeared to have limited recline
All seats are leather and seemed wider than that on a UA 319/320
100/220 power tho I could not see if they were individual or shared.
The recline was not as good as I thought it would be (i.e. less than UA)
All seats have small slide out tray for a glass (or your warm nuts ) but unless I missed it, there is only one at the 12 o’clock position and shared by both pax
The tray tables are in the armrests and are smaller but they have a nice anti-skid feature on them
The first row of f/c appears to have limited leg room like on a 320 or 57 due to the full length bulkhead but if in row 1, 1b is what you want as there is a box like cutout (for a floor bassinette?) which gives about 3" more legroom
I did the walk through and thought the CO F seats looked rather "cheap". Maybe it was just the color scheme or something...
Old Oct 11, 2010, 3:04 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
I was pleasantly surprised at how well-padded the Y headrests are. I took a brief rest in a Y seat and did not find the seat padding to be as thin as others have reported. But the "E-" pitch is muy mal (for a spoiled UA flyer).

Originally Posted by rob_flies_ua
The downside of the first row of coach on the right side (especially if you're in the aisle seat) is that you're side by side to the lav.
Actually, bulkhead seat 7F would seem to be the go-to Y seat on this plane, unless you insist on aisle. It's sufficiently far from the lav for it to not be bothersome (but sufficiently close to be much more convenient than having to walk aft). 7DEF looked to have very good legroom and the bulkhead cutouts we're used to on UA's Airbus row 6. 8ABC, OTOH, have restricted legroom and no cutouts due to the lav in front.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I assume you mean 2 seats on each side of the aisle, for a total of 4 per row?
Old Oct 11, 2010, 3:11 pm

A/C 442 is standard to the CO fleet.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K-MM
I did notice a major (roughly 2 inch) variation in seat pitch in Y on this plane. I don't know if it was an aberration specific to this plane or not.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
I am surprised at the comments that the seats seem wider than UA's Airbii twins. It is my understanding that the A319/210 has a wider cabin that the 737 and as a result, the seats are generally slightly wider than those on the Boeings. (But apparently not wide enough that the airlines have been able to figure out how to out 7 seats across.)

Has Boeing widened the cabin on these newer models?
Old Oct 11, 2010, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
The headrests are much much smaller than that on a 329/320/57 and they don't go up high enough nor do they tilt forward but they are great as they will wrap completely up to your ears ‘n cheeks so your will not “tilt and they are in credibly soft and comfortable
New model in the fleet?

Thanks for the review! I'm still wary of booking a CO ticket unless I know that I'll get the upgrade. The thought of CO Y for a few hours is not something I'd like to experience!
Old Oct 11, 2010, 4:13 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
New model in the fleet?

Thanks for the review! I'm still wary of booking a CO ticket unless I know that I'll get the upgrade. The thought of CO Y for a few hours is not something I'd like to experience!
I did CO Y a few months back LAX-IAH-PTY on my run to LIM. It felt like I had just completed an entire LAX-SYD flight without getting up at all after those two legs were complete.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Plug points are nice, but no E+, no book.

Is anything on the PTV free?
No E+. UA needs to step up and tell us if that is a firm trend, or this and future planes will be reconfigured. No E+ is a deal breaker for lots of people.

And PTV is fine, unless it is pay-for-crap. Did anyone get the story at the shindig Sunday?
Old Oct 11, 2010, 5:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by flyinbob
And PTV is fine, unless it is pay-for-crap. Did anyone get the story at the shindig Sunday?
It's DirecTV with ~95 live TV channels, plus 8 (looping) movies / TV shows.

http://www.continental.com/web/en-us...v/whatson.aspx
Old Oct 11, 2010, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ExPlat,EX-UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat,
goalie, Thank you for the report.

I was too busy standing on line for food yesterday

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.