Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IAD to SFO, late evening flight

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2009, 10:46 am
Original Poster

IAD to SFO, late evening flight

What is the meal service in First on UA 225, the 9:52 evening flight from Dulles to SFO? Dinner, or just snacks?

Usually I fly the daytime transcons to SFO, but scheduling problems mean that I'll have to choose between UA 225 and the VA 77, which leaves about one hour earlier. Have never flown VA, and that could certainly be a more interesting experience than F on the 757's, so appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!
Old Jan 23, 2009, 10:52 am

Programs: UAL 1K , HHonors Diamond
From my experiences on that UA flight, you get the rather small cold deli plate.

But I always call reservations and pre-order a special meal low-fat/low-carb and end up getting a cold chicken breast, which is more like a meal.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 10:57 am

Programs: Won Kay
Do yourself a favor and eat at Harry's Tap Room at IAD and just tell the FA you don't want the BOB or whatever they are trying to feed you.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 10:59 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by Cisco Kid
From my experiences on that UA flight, you get the rather small cold deli plate.

But I always call reservations and pre-order a special meal low-fat/low-carb and end up getting a cold chicken breast, which is more like a meal.
Mine as well with the IAD-LAX flight that departs roughly at the same time.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/10438928-post477.html
Old Jan 23, 2009, 11:26 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by roadkit
Do yourself a favor and eat at Harry's Tap Room at IAD and just tell the FA you don't want the BOB or whatever they are trying to feed you.
The Firkin and Fox is a much better bet, imho, since, last I checked, HTR was in B concorse...
Old Jan 23, 2009, 11:32 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie

another vote for the "LFML". if you're already confirmed in first or your u/g confirms 48 hours out*, i would request it

*i wouldn't trust a special meal request placed any closer than 48 hours to actually make it but you never know-place it anyway and who knows, you might get a skykit (or whatever the on-line skykit thingy is called now)
Old Jan 23, 2009, 11:45 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM / AA PP, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I avoid those late night flights like the plague, but after reading the VX threads, it appears as though the 8pm and later flights still have full hot meal service. That, plus the fact that the VX seat is comparable to UA's old business class seat I am pretty sure its a much better experience.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the helpful responses; if I end up on that late evening UA flight, I'll be sure to request the special meal, either the low fat or Indian vegetarian, as that sounds better than the cold deli plate.

But am leaning towards Virgin America, not just for the greater leg room in F and hot meal on that flight, but also because it takes off and arrives one hour earlier.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 3:14 pm

Programs: United 1kMM; AA EX Plat, Hilton Diamond and SPG Plat
For a good snack small plate and nice wine selection, check out Vino Volo, I was quite impressed. And skip the COLD deli and what they call "cheese" plate.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 3:32 pm

Another possibility is to drop by Terminal A (RJ Hell), order a nice to go meal from 5 Guys, shuttle on over to C, board your flight, and ask for a Greenie as soon as beverage service starts to go with your 5 Guys meal
Old Jan 23, 2009, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP

If it's not enough food why not just ask for a ritebite half way through the flight?
Old Jan 23, 2009, 3:44 pm

Programs: Won Kay
Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
Thanks for all the helpful responses; if I end up on that late evening UA flight, I'll be sure to request the special meal, either the low fat or Indian vegetarian, as that sounds better than the cold deli plate.

But am leaning towards Virgin America, not just for the greater leg room in F and hot meal on that flight, but also because it takes off and arrives one hour earlier.
And if you have a laptop, you will be able to plug it into the power socket in Y.

They're probably trying to attract and keep business flyers with that little gimmick.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA 2P
Originally Posted by ButIsItArt
Another possibility is to drop by Terminal A (RJ Hell), order a nice to go meal from 5 Guys, shuttle on over to C, board your flight, and ask for a Greenie as soon as beverage service starts to go with your 5 Guys meal
Thats what I would do. ^ Best burgers and fries.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 4:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by fnothaft
Thats what I would do. ^ Best burgers and fries.
I'm partial to the potbelly sandwich place, myself.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
And I like California Tortilla.

(but the IVML is good too)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.