Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Carry-On Luggage Space on UX ERJ-145 and EMB-170 Questions

Old Jun 14, 2010, 10:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2P,PC Rewards

So I've been mostly on big UA metal for the last few years but I'm going next month to IND connecting through ORD and my equip is ERJ145 going and EMB175 returning through ORD. I haven't flown in one of these in a while and I'm curious about taking on a 22" rollaboard. Will I have to gate check? I'm 2p so boarding early.

Cheers!

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jun 14, 2010 at 11:09 pm Reason: retitled thread
Old Jun 14, 2010, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
ERJ will be gate check (green? tag)
E70 you should be able to bring on board and put in the overhead bin (on the 2-seat side of F or either side of Y)
Old Jun 14, 2010, 11:08 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Definitely yes (gate check) for the ER4, but I think the overheads on the E70 will take the 22" if you slide it sideways. I've never tried it though, and given that I am west coast based, my data points regarding both aircraft are regrettably more limited in comparison to the hated CRJ/CR7, both of which will not accommodate the bag. I think the thickness of the bag could also be an issue.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 11:10 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
The following threads from the Forum FAQ should also be of help:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...erj-145-a.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...emb-170-a.html
Old Jun 15, 2010, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
On the right side of F, you can put a 22" rollerboard straight in. When you get back to Y, it is very easy to fit a 22" sideways..
Old Jun 15, 2010, 9:29 am

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Originally Posted by jrl22
ERJ will be gate check (green? tag)
E70 you should be able to bring on board and put in the overhead bin (on the 2-seat side of F or either side of Y)
One thing to note.

The GA's first give you a chance to load the on-board over-head bins on the E70.

If the bins fill up OR your bag doesn't fit they will offer to "gate check" the bag.

However, MAKE SURE YOU CHECK that they put a green tag on it and not a hand-written bag tag.

If your bag gets a green tag, it will be available plane-side (or on the jet bridge) when the plane lands.

If you get a hand-written bag tag, your bag will be waiting at baggage claim.

IME, there is some inconsistency here. The GA's prefer to put the hand-written tag when they board the E70 (they tend to treat it as a mainline aircraft vs. an Express)
Old Jun 15, 2010, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by warreng24
One thing to note.

... However, MAKE SURE YOU CHECK that they put a green tag on it and not a hand-written bag tag.

If your bag gets a green tag, it will be available plane-side (or on the jet bridge) when the plane lands.

If you get a hand-written bag tag, your bag will be waiting at baggage claim. ...

very good catch

Originally Posted by sinoflyer
... CRJ/CR7, both of which will not accommodate the bag. ...
any experience with swift-talking the FA into letting you put a rollaboard under a double seat on a less-than-full CRJ/CR7 or ERJ? I'm 1/1 on CO and 1/2 on DL, no experience on UA

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jun 16, 2010 at 5:10 am Reason: merge
Old Jun 16, 2010, 2:07 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Originally Posted by jrl22
any experience with swift-talking the FA into letting you put a rollaboard under a double seat on a less-than-full CRJ/CR7 or ERJ? I'm 1/1 on CO and 1/2 on DL, no experience on UA
My experience is also limited in this regard, because I think I've become so conditioned to gate checking anything with wheels that I just plop my rollaway on the tarmac before climbing up the stairs. That said, I have a 18" rollaway briefcase that I occasionally put underneath the seat if I have a tight connection. US recently made me check it flying LGA-BGR (CRJ) . No one has ever bothered me with it on UA, but again, my data points are in the single digits in that regard.

You can actually put a 22" underneath the seat on a CRJ? I'm going to try it next time myself.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 5:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, AK Gold 75K, etc. etc.
Unless the plane is empty, it is probably better etiquette to gate check a 22" bag than try to get it in the overhead bin on one of the regional jets. At least that's my philosophy.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by mikel51
Unless the plane is empty, it is probably better etiquette to gate check a 22" bag than try to get it in the overhead bin on one of the regional jets. At least that's my philosophy.
I feel if there is available space, then you should feel free to stick your 22" rollerboard in the overhead bin. At least in F, they go straight in, so you can fit three or four.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 8:11 am

Programs: United 1K, Delta PM, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold, National Exec. Elite
UX is my primary mode of travel on United.

On the 135/145 you gate-check anything bigger than a backpack unless it is soft sided (duffle).

On a 170 (two cabin) the overhead for F will fit 4 22" bags. The overhead in Y will fit a 22" bag but you are taking up two pax overhead space. I realize most people only care about their luggage but taking up the binspace of two people is rude, IMHO. Some 170s operate out of combined RJ and standard berth, so when you leave your luggage may or maynot arrive via gate. I know when I leave CMH for ORD, it can be a crap shoot. Make sure you ask, and verify the green tag.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 7:34 am

Programs: UA 2P, AA 1MM
Size for Carryon?

Does anyone know the allowable size for a carry-on on an ERJ-145? I plan to purchase one, specifically for travel on United Express. I do not want to gate check the bad.

Thanks...
Old Aug 14, 2010, 8:50 am

Programs: Mileage Plus,Marriott Rewards,Priority Club,Hilton HHonors
Originally Posted by nigam
Does anyone know the allowable size for a carry-on on an ERJ-145? I plan to purchase one, specifically for travel on United Express. I do not want to gate check the bad.

Thanks...
Small, very small. Anything larger that a small backpack or messenger bag is not going to fit. If you sit on the A side (single seat) your under seat space is even smaller. My advise is to get used to gate checking because unless you are 1k or 1p and always board first the GA may force you to green tag it no matter what the size if you are at the end of the line.

Good Luck
Old Aug 14, 2010, 11:19 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by nigam

Thanks...
How much are you looking to pack? Just to give some context, even my Skooba Checkthrough Laptop Bag when packed full is a tight fit through the opening of the overhead bins. You could conceivably fit a larger bag of similar width/height dimensions but with longer length, but then you'd be taking up a lot more shared overhead space (especially with just one overhead due to 1-2 seating).
Old Aug 14, 2010, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
I'm going to once again try and proliferate the term "side check" on puddle jumpers and regional jets vs the term "gate check". To me, a gate check is when you're on a mainline aircraft and you have to hand in your bag to the flight attendant, they give you a claim ticket and at your arriving airport, you need to go to luggage and wait a half hour and claim it.

Side check is where you drop it off at the side of the plane before heading up the stairs or on the jetway. You put a green tag on it and, on arrival, you wait plane-side or on the jetway for it and you get it there.

There is more confusion with in-frequent flyers on the whole gate-check nomenclature, we need to have a standardization on terms.

For the OP, on either the 145 or 170, plan on a "side check" where you drop it off when you hit the aircraft door and pick up outside. You may get a 22" on a 170, but it just depends. Definitely not on a 145.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.