Wiki Posts
Search

Standby at OLCI?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2010, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2P, DL SM
Standby at OLCI?

Looks like meetings are ending early tomorrow, so I'm interested in standing by for an earlier flight, at least while it is still free.

When, and from where, can I do this? OLCI at 24hrs? OLCI tomorrow morning? Not until I get to the airport? I'm also checking bags, so does that torpedo the plan entirely?
Old Apr 29, 2010, 10:21 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Did you buy your ticket prior to Apr 10? You can use the machines. Make sure to standby BEFORE checking your bags.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 10:41 am

Programs: MR Plat, AA EXP, Hertz Presidents Club, SPG Plat
while checking in...

You can select a stand by flight at the time you check in online. So no sooner than the 24 hour period before unless you go to the airport prior to that.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

The ticket was purchased in March so I should be ok there. Sounds like my best option is to OLCI tonight at the 24 hr mark for the original flight and pick my standby. That should take care of the bag issue as well. Thanks.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by fastair
Make sure to standby BEFORE checking your bags.
yes good advice.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

Ok, I am checked in and standing by. I notice that my departure management card contains:

Boarding priority: BP5

Does this mean I am fifth in line? There are five Y and 2 F seats left on the map...
Old Apr 29, 2010, 8:42 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by UAWes
Ok, I am checked in and standing by. I notice that my departure management card contains:

Does this mean I am fifth in line? There are five Y and 2 F seats left on the map...
Unfortunately the seat map isn't a perfect predictor of availability. Sometimes people are on the flight who don't have seats assigned. Also, I don't think you can get one of the F seats by being on the standby list (even through UDU) - but I could be mistaken.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 8:51 pm

I haven't read it, but I think this should give you the info on what BP5 means:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ed-2009-a.html
Old Apr 29, 2010, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

I see, BP5 just means I'm standing by for an earlier flight. I assume I have no shot at F, I was just factoring that into the total, though apparently that doesn't mean anything either. I guess I will see how it shakes out tomorrow!
Old Apr 29, 2010, 9:22 pm

Programs: My posts represent my personal opinions based on public information and not the official views of UA
I see, BP5 just means I'm standing by for an earlier flight. I assume I have no shot at F, I was just factoring that into the total, though apparently that doesn't mean anything either. I guess I will see how it shakes out tomorrow!
Upgrades are typically processed before standbys. However, if you clear standby, be sure to ask if F is full, just in case the agent overlooks that you are eligible for a complimentary elite upgrade.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
BP5 doesn't mean you're fifth in line, but is the category you go into for priority sequence. This is the priority most standby passengers are assigned. Not sure who exactly goes into what, but, for example, someone standing by who had missed a connection would be in a higher priority category.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 6:16 am
Original Poster

Well now I am really torn... my upgrade (lowly 2P on an A319) on the later flight is confirmed! Never flown F before, probably not worth wasting four hours sitting at DEN. But I'll be thinking of that if I make the standby, wedged into the worst seat in E-...
Old Apr 30, 2010, 6:38 am

Programs: UA Gold; HH Diamond; Hyatt Plat
Well now I am really torn... my upgrade (lowly 2P on an A319) on the later flight is confirmed! Never flown F before, probably not worth wasting four hours sitting at DEN. But I'll be thinking of that if I make the standby, wedged into the worst seat in E-...
DEN to where? BOS? IAD? TPA? I might wait the four hours.......
Old Apr 30, 2010, 6:41 am
Original Poster

MSP, so probably only a 2 hr flight or so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.