Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

New Mainline Service STL-SFO daily [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2009, 11:35 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo....main/4580594/

an interesting thread developing here. If it does happen, it will most definitely be to SFO now that AA cut that route, maybe resumption of the DEN flight as well. What do you think?
Old Oct 16, 2009, 11:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
would work for me, i go there once a year to visit fam so that would be nice
Old Oct 17, 2009, 12:30 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by UAL awesome
If it does happen, it will most definitely be to SFO now that AA cut that route
AA had a lot of connecting flights at STL that made that flight work for them. Once they downsized, that flight went away, too.

What size operation does UA have at STL to support a flight from SFO? Where can you connect to from there on UA metal?
Old Oct 17, 2009, 12:47 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Did UA lay off mainline employees when they went to all express service? Would be a nice trick to close down the station and then a few months later decide that mainline would be back sans mainline employees. As they aren't getting any new planes, they must be cutting something else if they plan to add mainline service flights at STL.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 1:17 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tom911
AA had a lot of connecting flights at STL that made that flight work for them. Once they downsized, that flight went away, too.

What size operation does UA have at STL to support a flight from SFO? Where can you connect to from there on UA metal?
The route could survive on O&D alone and easily fill a once daily 319 or 320. With AA dropping the route, STL has no direct service to SFO so it's a very lucartive opportunity for UA..especially considering the STL airport authority is trying to attract new carriers and flights and is willing to make great deals for them.

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Did UA lay off mainline employees when they went to all express service? Would be a nice trick to close down the station and then a few months later decide that mainline would be back sans mainline employees. As they aren't getting any new planes, they must be cutting something else if they plan to add mainline service flights at STL.
If UA mainline flies year-round to a destination, mainline employees must be on staff. When UA made the decision to close STL, AA had not announced they were putting the final nail in the coffin in the STL hub. Now that AA has cut a substanstial number of flights, including one to a major city and metropolitan area that UA has a hub in, it would make sense to come in with an SFO flight.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 3:56 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Good news for those of us who use the STL-ORD route.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by tom911

Aside from O&D traffic that AA now doesn't serve, IMO, it would be about connecting STL originating pax onward through SFO. If timed right, UA could build traffic from STL, connecting them to their Asia flights out of SFO, and to the network on the west coast as well.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 11:24 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
We'll just have to wait and see if the poster on airliners.net, who lists his age as 16-20 and occupation as student, has a credible inside source or not. I don't know how reliable the information posted on that forum is and do not follow it.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 12:44 pm

Programs: United Employee My opinions are my own and not of UA...blah blah blah
I also heard this, but from someone who was furloughed from STL and went to DSM. They're now getting ready to head back to STL and work there again for UA...

Now if only this would happen with MHT
Old Oct 17, 2009, 12:57 pm

Programs: WN CP & B-list. Disillusioned fmr UA-1P/2P,F9-Ascent; Fmr AA-Plat,CO-Gold,NW-Silver,TWA-Elite
Myself and my relatives fly DEN-STL 6-8 times a year. Always better to have mainline than RJ service, which is a complete showstopper for me and the relatives. However, until UA drops bag and change fees, they won't compete with SWA in our book. The extra costs of UA just don't justify it.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 3:01 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UALBoston
I also heard this, but from someone who was furloughed from STL and went to DSM. They're now getting ready to head back to STL and work there again for UA...

Now if only this would happen with MHT
Is MHT going to do the arrangement like TUS & MIA where the mainline employees stay but the station will be all UAX served?
Old Oct 17, 2009, 4:11 pm

Programs: United Employee My opinions are my own and not of UA...blah blah blah
Originally Posted by UAL awesome
Is MHT going to do the arrangement like TUS & MIA where the mainline employees stay but the station will be all UAX served?
Unfortunately, no.
It's going to be groundhandled by Comair who offered to hire anyone from UA that wanted to stay, but only 4 or 5 of them did.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 7:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
I think that UA should actively pursue traffic out of STL now that AA is all but dismantling their hublet there.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
New Mainline Service STL-SFO daily

United will be starting STL-SFO once daily on a A319 February 11, 2010. This will replace the abandoned AA flights to SFO.

Great News to St. Louis.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 1:36 pm

And related story:

http://www.fox2now.com/news/sns-ap-m...,6310340.story

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.