Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

If this were my first United flight, but it wasn't!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2010, 11:28 pm
Original Poster

Last night I checked in for flight 842 from GRU - ORD. I have taken either this flight or flight 860 GRU (Sao Paulo) - IAD at least fifty times in the past.

Check in and security were reasonably routine. I waited in the RCC until about one-half hour before leaving for the gate in order to arrive there before posted boarding time. While waiting near the gate I noticed I did not see the crew enter the aircraft as I usually do. I also noticed that the aircraft was parked at the gate but that all the lights in the cockpit were off.

Soon boarding time came but there was no boarding. Instead, there was an announcement that the crew was stuck in traffic and that boarding was delayed until the crew arrived.

Finally, two minutes before scheduled departure, the crew arrived.

I could not help but wonder if the situation were reversed and it was I or another passenger who was stuck in traffic, what would United do about our tardiness? No question, we would be told that the flight was closed and that we were too late for the flight.

Boarding finally began. However, as each passenger entered the already late aircraft, the purser insisted on viewing each boarding pass and wanted to know the passenger seat number. This questionable behavior slowed down the boarding process. As I said, the plane was already late and her insistence at seeing each boarding pass did not seem to make any sense except to exhibit her “authority” in the aircraft.

Throughout the flight, this same purser made frequent announcements. Her voice was not pleasant and her announcements were more like a demand as she periodically barked out “rules” of the flight.

The pilot or the talkative purser never made any explanation or comment about why the crew failed to arrive on time.

I cannot imagine why a responsible pilot and his crew would not leave their hotel in sufficient time to make it to the airport in time for a scheduled flight. Nearly three hundred passengers made it to the airport on time to catch that same flight.

I later heard various excuses and contradictions about why the crew was late.

In view of what happened with that flight together with the unusual behavior of the purser, a first-time United Airlines user would not think favorably of the airline.

I have been 1K for many years and I travel to many parts of the world. This is the first time I have experienced such a strange flight crew.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Last edited by dgcpaphd; Apr 12, 2010 at 9:23 am
Old Apr 6, 2010, 11:34 pm

Programs: UA 2P
Originally Posted by dgcpaphd
Has anyone else had a similar experience with a tardy crew?
Yes, almost everybody who flies frequently has had a similar experience.

I could not help but wonder if the situation were reversed and it was I or another passenger who was stuck in traffic, what would United do about our tardiness? No question, we would be told that the flight was closed and that we were too late for the flight.
This question is ridiculous. Does it even for a second seem like this is a meaningful comparison (late pilot to late passenger)?
Old Apr 6, 2010, 11:40 pm

Programs: UA/1K
Last night I checked in for flight 842 from GRU - ORD. I have taken either this flight or flight 860 GRU (Sao Paulo) - IAD at least fifty times in the past.

Check in and security were reasonably routine. I waited in the RCC until about one-half hour before leaving for the gate in order to arrive there before posted boarding time. While waiting near the gate I noticed I did not see the crew enter the aircraft as I usually do. I also noticed that the aircraft was parked at the gate but that all the lights in the cockpit were off.

Soon boarding time came but there was no boarding. Instead, there was an announcement that the crew was stuck in traffic and that boarding was delayed until the crew arrived.

Finally, two minutes before scheduled departure, the crew arrived.

Boarding finally began. However, as each passenger entered the already late aircraft, the purser insisted on viewing each boarding pass and wanted to know the passenger seat number. This questionable behavior slowed down the boarding process. As I said, the plane was already late and her insistence at seeing each boarding pass did not seem to make any sense except to exhibit her “authority” in the aircraft.

Throughout the flight, this same purser made frequent announcements. Her voice was not pleasant and her announcements were more like a demand as she periodically barked out “rules” of the flight.

The pilot or the talkative purser never made any explanation or comment about why the crew failed to arrive on time.

I cannot imagine why a responsible pilot and his crew would not leave their hotel in sufficient time to make it to the airport in time for a scheduled flight. Nearly three hundred passengers made it to the airport on time to catch that same flight.

I later heard various excuses and contradictions about why the crew was late.

In view of what happened with that flight together with the unusual behavior of the purser, a first-time United Airlines user would not think favorably of the airline.

I have been 1K for many years and I travel to many parts of the world. This is the first time I have experienced such a strange flight crew.

Has anyone else had a similar experience with a tardy crew?
Given the hundreds of hours and probably hundreds of thousands of miles you've flown with UA by being 1K for so long, it's more than likely just a fluke (maybe she slept late?)
Old Apr 6, 2010, 11:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fnothaft
Yes, almost everybody who flies frequently has had a similar experience.
"almost everybody?" How interesting, I and my colleagues have flown for many years and each are 1K. We have never see a situation were an entire crew is late and then when the crew finally arrives, the pursue insists on viewing passenger boarding passes as passengers enter the aircraft, delaying further, an already late aircraft.

Originally Posted by fnothaft
This question is ridiculous. Does it even for a second seem like this is a meaningful comparison (late pilot to late passenger)?
Yes it does. United stresses punctuality. At the same time, an entire crew is late for a flight. Double standards are never okay.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 12:03 am

Programs: DL Silver Medallion
You already stated that they had been in traffic. What more explanation do you need?

Traffic accident? Breakdown? Stuck in an elevator? Meteor strike? Just because they are the working crew for a commercial airline does not mean they are not human like the rest of us. Sometimes "s__t just happens".

I can think of a myriad of other things which happen DAILY on/around/associated with United flights that would detract a first time flyer, and half of those they'd probably experience on any other legacy carrier on any given day.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 12:09 am

Programs: UA MP/UC - "RIP Tulip Plat"
ROFL you can't depart with out the crew! Deeerrr! Though I'm sure you would make a great substitute FA or pilot.

I could not help but wonder if the situation were reversed and it was I or another passenger who was stuck in traffic, what would United do about our tardiness? No question, we would be told that the flight was closed and that we were too late for the flight
Old Apr 7, 2010, 12:10 am

Programs: DL Silver Medallion
Yes it does. United stresses punctuality. At the same time, an entire crew is late for a flight. Double standards are never okay.
You're being completely irrational here. You're suggesting that since 300+ passengers had to wait for a relatively small group of trained professionals (who are required to operate the aircraft) United should delay the same number of people every time one or two of the passengers are late???

How often does ANY flight crew member arrive late? How often do passengers arrive late? There is no logic here. Mishaps happen with everyone (including crew) from time to time, but statistically one side has an exponentially higher rate of tardiness.

Last edited by drummingcraig; Apr 7, 2010 at 12:13 am Reason: grammar & added content
Old Apr 7, 2010, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Maybe she had a bad night sleep at the InterContinental?
Old Apr 7, 2010, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by UAL4life
ROFL you can't depart with out the crew! Deeerrr! Though I'm sure you would make a great substitute FA or pilot.
Originally Posted by drummingcraig
You're being completely irrational here. You're suggesting that since 300+ passengers had to wait for a relatively small group of trained professionals (who are required to operate the aircraft) United should delay the same number of people every time one or two of the passengers are late???

How often does ANY flight crew member arrive late? How often do passengers arrive late? There is no logic here. Mishaps happen with everyone (including crew) from time to time, but statistically one side has an exponentially higher rate of tardiness.
When passengers arrive late, for whatever reason, legit or not, there is a price to pay. The question is why passengers were not compensated in some way for the late crew, regardless of their excuse? "Late due to traffic" is amateur. Like my cat ate my homework. There seemed to be no apology, just a curt announcement. Nope. to the crew.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 3:02 am
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
If it were possible for the plane to leave without the crew, then I'd say sure, leave without the late crew, and don't pay them for the flight. But it's actually impossible to fly the plane without crew.

The pax should have been compensated, however.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 3:43 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
However, as each passenger entered the already late aircraft, the purser insisted
on viewing each boarding pass and wanted to know the passenger seat number.
I'm surprised that a longtime flier hasn't encountered this before. Certainly until
recently it has been standard procedure on transpacs at least.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 7:17 am

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, *G, JJ, AD, Global Entry, CLEAR, H.O.G. Life Member
The situation described by the OP has happened several times that I am aware of on UA departures from Brazil. A few months ago, I experienced something similar on UA 860. In this case, the flight was delayed leaving GIG. First, there was an accident on the sole highway leading to GIG which delayed the crew and probably many others. Then, when ready to depart GIG, there were further delays due to weather, i.e. Fog. On that particular evening, UA 860 departed GRU about 2 hours and 45 minutes late.

Also, there are other posts in other threads about the horrendous traffic in SP. And both passengers and crew take various routes to get to the airport. In this case, the crew appears to have had the worst of it.

As for the purser, well, you get some good ones and some not so good.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 8:14 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, UAMP
Not sure how bad traffic is in GRU but i can tell you in Chicago, the last time I encountered an accident, it took me 2.5-3hours to travel the Dan Ryan which is 12miles long.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 8:25 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
I could not help but wonder if the situation were reversed and it was I or another passenger who was stuck in traffic, what would United do about our tardiness?
They would probably show some sympathy for your travel plans not working out as expected, put you on the next flight, and not make a big deal about it.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 8:29 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
"Stuck in traffic" is not such an unusual excuse. Pilots and FAs have set pick-up times for the van service, and anything that happens between the hotel and the airport is up to the whims of the moment. You can argue why pilots and/or FAs have to be housed so far away from the airport, but those decisions are made in their respective contracts.

United Airlines flight delayed by Saints parade

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.