Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Feb 1 - One-Way Awards and Miles & Money Awards now bookable on ual.com

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Feb 1 - One-Way Awards and Miles & Money Awards now bookable on ual.com

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2010, 8:11 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by harryhv
Urghh that fallacy again from a bean-counter.

Just because I book a one-way award from A to B, this does not mean that UA has somehow lost the exact value of a paid seat, that I would otherwise have paid some ridiculous price to travel on UA's one-way fare.
Let me direct you to post #27:
"The AA one-ways are most valuable to me on domestic U.S. segments. I've had a couple of 2.5-cent redemptions on 12.5k awards. Cases where one direction of a trip costs $300+ and the other direction can be bought for $100-150 as a one-way."

I'm not a bean counter by trade, but can see that already, my case hypothesis is shown to have merit based on a FT posters use of this on AA.

Schley, at standard award prices, I see less of a downside. Good suggestion.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 8:45 pm

Programs: UA Premier Exec; AA Platinum; SPG Gold; PC Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by harryhv
Urghh that fallacy again from a bean-counter.

Just because I book a one-way award from A to B, this does not mean that UA has somehow lost the exact value of a paid seat... Same applies to the bean-counters' fallacious view of hidden-city-ticketing.
Um- no, charging more for one way fares and certain routings work to increase revenue- the earlier poster is correct. Just because there are a few flyers who hunt around to find hidden city routings and cheaper ways to route one-way fares, doesn't mean that in general airlines generate significant revenues from these practices. Thus I don't expect the penalties for jumping off midroute to go away, likewise there will be some kind of conditions around the one way redemptions to make them less enticing.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 8:54 pm

Programs: UA 1P, AA, Hilton Honors
1K's, I hope you 'pass' the test: this could be a good move by UA.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 10:08 pm

Programs: AA Gold, DL Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold, too many cruise programs to list
The AA one-way awards have been a benefit to me, so I'm definitely happy about this (possible) change. In one upcoming circumstance, award space was available one way in Y, but on the return, only in C. Instead of having to use miles for C both ways, I was able to ticket the lowest available award seats and save some miles. Made for a nice redemption, and it was on Qantas, so the above info that at least AA makes one-way awards available on their OneWorld alliance partners is true. The agent told me all awards on AA are now booked as one ways (though I did have only one PNR for the flights).

Since I don't utilize the free stopovers, this works well for the way I prefer to book awards. Also worked well for AA as they got some orphan miles off the books with me booking the flights I never would have in the US.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
If UA would introduce one-way awards on Star Partners (which only BD does now - but with fuel surcharges), that would be fantastic, and would somewhat offset Starnet blocking for me, and I would likely stick with UA for a while.

Is think going to be a 1K only benefit, or a UA wide thing in general?
Old Jan 29, 2010, 8:36 am
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
Originally Posted by easykristine
My only complaint is that all UA changes seem to come as a secondary reaction to what AA is doing. It somehow makes me feel like I should support AA more, for being a leader in these programs and changes.
Oh, so AA has gone to complimentary unlimited upgrades for all of its elites?
Old Jan 29, 2010, 9:27 am

Programs: UA 1P
Better not be a 1K only thing

If this is a 1K only feature it is going to make other airlines like AS and B6 look a lot more attractive to me as a 1P. I don't see the logic of limiting this to 1K travelers only, the basic redemptions available for MP+ miles ought to be standard across the program. Especially if they want to drive up redemption of miles!
Old Jan 29, 2010, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SFOtoBOS
If this is a 1K only feature it is going to make other airlines like AS and B6 look a lot more attractive to me as a 1P. I don't see the logic of limiting this to 1K travelers only, the basic redemptions available for MP+ miles ought to be standard across the program. Especially if they want to drive up redemption of miles!
I doubt UA's website would be easily able to restrict these to 1Ks, so I suspect that it will be open to all if it happens.

Originally Posted by friendlyplanet
Um- no, charging more for one way fares and certain routings work to increase revenue- the earlier poster is correct.
Yes, it increases revenue, but it doesn't mean that one-way awards will erode that revenue. For one thing, most of those buying expensive one-way fares are traveling on the company's dime and won't be using awards.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 29, 2010 at 3:27 pm Reason: merge
Old Jan 29, 2010, 10:18 am

+1 Fantastic new if its 50% miles for one way . I can finally stop trying to collect BD miles
Old Jan 29, 2010, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by soitgoes
I doubt UA's website would be easily able to restrict these to 1Ks, so I suspect that it will be open to all if it happens.

Why not? Only offer it if logged in and Status = 1K or GS.

They did a similar such thing when Holds were first introduced online a few years ago.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 10:43 am

I'm beginning to wonder if this is really in the works. Feb. 1st is only a couple of days away and UA has said nothing about this. If one-way booking is to begin on Monday wouldn't UA want to lay out the rules and procedures before hand?
Old Jan 29, 2010, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by channa
Why not? Only offer it if logged in and Status = 1K or GS.

They did a similar such thing when Holds were first introduced online a few years ago.
This would require differential award pricing based on status. I'm not sure UA is up to the challenge.

Originally Posted by JetAway
I'm beginning to wonder if this is really in the works. Feb. 1st is only a couple of days away and UA has said nothing about this. If one-way booking is to begin on Monday wouldn't UA want to lay out the rules and procedures before hand?
Maybe the announcement will come Feb 1, with implementation at a later date.

Or maybe it was just an unsubstantiated rumor.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 29, 2010 at 3:27 pm Reason: merge
Old Jan 29, 2010, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just read thru the latest copy of "Inside Flyer", which covers this UA development as well.
The article states 1/2 the mileage of r/t.

"Inside Flyer" in the know. ^
Old Jan 29, 2010, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cesco.g
Just read thru the latest copy of "Inside Flyer", which covers this UA development as well.
The article states 1/2 the mileage of r/t.

"Inside Flyer" in the know. ^
In what section/article is it covered? I just checked through my online IF subscription and couldn't find it (I haven't received the February issue at home yet).
Old Jan 29, 2010, 2:53 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by soitgoes
This would require differential award pricing based on status. I'm not sure UA is up to the challenge.
It can figure out to show and allow you to book NY bucket currently when 1K is logged in... Shouldn't be much harder than that... Wasn't it available once? So maybe the code is still in there, just need to turn it back on?

Of course sometimes it says it is available when its not, but thats another story...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.