Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SJC staff

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2002, 9:54 pm
Original Poster

SJC staff

Has anyone had trouble with the ticket agents at SJC?

I was running late and arrived 35 minutes before a 6:35 a.m. flight to ORD on my way to MDT Saturday and this was the response from the woman behind the counter:

"You think you can arrive here a half hour before a flight and get on? We have a 40 minute cutoff."

No "hello" or "sorry."

I know, I know, I was running late (which was my fault) and security lines at SJC are awful, but SJC is not the biggest airport around. The line was empty by 6:15. And she was just rude and nasty.

She offered to rebook me for a fee on a later flight. When I insisted that if she would just check me in I could probably make the flight, she sent me over to the supervisor ... who then printed out a departure management card and told me to get in line for security ... even though I had an oversize bag that needed to be checked.

When I arrived back 10 minutes later at 6:05 after security of course turned me away) the ticket agents were asking the passengers in line if they were booked on the Los Angeles flight, which was set to leave at 6:40 a.m. I guess the 40 minute cutoff didn't apply to them.

I was later rebooked on a flight through IAD by the manager ...

Has anyone else out there had trouble with the staff at SJC? Am I just being unreasonable?
Old Oct 20, 2002, 9:59 pm
Original Poster

Also: I am a Premier Exec ... forgot to mention that.
Old Oct 20, 2002, 10:30 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Yes, incompetent staff there, based on my one experience, where they didn't give back the return portion of my paper ticket until I remembered it as I was about to pass through security. When I returned to the ticket counter, they grunted instead of apologizing.
Old Oct 20, 2002, 10:46 pm

There might be a few sticklers there but I do like one agent there who has gotten to know me in the past couple of months where I was forced to fly from SJC instead of SFO. She's very knowledgeable and greets me by name everytime she sees me!

(Unfortunately, I just found out that she's been on Maternity leave since September and won't be back till January)

------------------
SFnFlaGuy

[This message has been edited by SFnFlaGuy (edited 10-20-2002).]
Old Oct 20, 2002, 10:50 pm

I'm a regular at SJC and think highly of the staff. They do take a deep breath when they see me coming because they also know I'm a regular on FT.
Old Oct 21, 2002, 8:43 am
Original Poster

I just couldn't understand why she wouldn't print out my boarding passes and let me go through security ... if I didn't make it, then I could have been rebooked at the gate.
Old Oct 21, 2002, 11:15 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, Hertz P Circle
Jkieta, if you are late (under the 40 minute cutoff), you must check in at the gate since control moves to the gate at that time. This means you cannot check in at the counter, or at the kiosks (if available). The best they can do at the counter is to print you a receipt to get through security, but if you have other than carry-on bags, you're really out of luck.

I've had much better experiences with the SJC staff in general than at SFO. I did quite a bit of flying out of SJC in the last couple of summers, and I'll be up there again in about a week. Give 'em the benefit of the doubt, she might have been having a bad day - its not the best time to be employed by UA these days...
Old Oct 21, 2002, 11:29 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, UA 2P, Marriott LTPP
With one unforgettably glaring exception, the UA staff has been very helpful. On one occassion last year, I wanted to checkin at the gate for a flight to LAX, but the agents were not present. There was another gate with an agent, so I went to him. He hung on the phone for a good 5 minutes making a personal phone call about some ski trip or something while I stared at him waiting for some service. When he finally got off the phone, he turned to me, and I asked him if I could check in for my flight. He replied, "Didn't you see I was on the phone?" I replied, "Yes, but all I wanted is to check in for the flight. Are you not a customer service agent?" He said nothing and began to walk from behind the counter back towards the little black door to go hide. I said, "It's pretty unprofessional to make personal phonecalls on company time, especially out in front of the customers and especially when said customers are waiting for you to help them." He stopped and glared at me like he was about to punch me. Then he turned and walked away. I didn't bother to get his name, but I tried to later on when I went to the back room. Nobody there could help, presumably because he'd already been back there telling a story about me. I know he's still working there... Unfortunately.

And I'm 1P too...

[This message has been edited by bpauker (edited 10-21-2002).]
Old Oct 21, 2002, 2:21 pm

Location: IND- Views expressed by me in this forum are solely my opinion and do not reflect the opinion or policies of UA.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Jkieta, if you are late (under the 40 minute cutoff), you must check in at the gate since control moves to the gate at that time. This means you cannot check in at the counter, or at the kiosks (if available). The best they can do at the counter is to print you a receipt to get through security, but if you have other than carry-on bags, you're really out of luck.</font>
Are you serious? A 40 min. cut-off?
Boarding cannot begin until 30 mins. prior. Reservations cannot be cancelled and held seats cleared until 20 mins. prior.
Is SJC that huge an airport or UA operation that 40 mins. is mandatory?
I have refused to sell someone a ticket 30 mins. prior to dept. at the ticket counter when I know the flight is oversold. (For the past 10 yrs., an industry standard.) However, I've swiped many an Amex card at the gate for a full fare OW E-tkt at 30 mins. when we have the room and their AA flight has been cancelled.
Beyond all that is the attitude you've encountered. Never an excuse for that.
UA city managers have recently been "forced" to run training sessions regarding customer service. My advice to you is to write a letter, an e-mail and find a ph# to discuss the situation personally with the SJC station manager. My manager would never put up with it at IND.
Then again, very few csr's at IND would treat a customer that way.
Old Oct 21, 2002, 2:53 pm

I have consistently received good service at SJC ticket counter. However, I cant say the same about the gate agents at SJC. I was on the upgrade list on a flight from SJC-ORD and my name got called when I was buying a bagel at the store nearby. Rushed to the gate to find out that it had been handed to someone else since I was no show. No show??? I am already checked in !!!! No apologies...please board per your preassigned seat.
Old Oct 21, 2002, 3:06 pm

Programs: SAS EuroBonus, LH M&M, Finnair Plus, SPG Preferred Plus
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Jana:
Are you serious? A 40 min. cut-off?
Boarding cannot begin until 30 mins. prior. Reservations cannot be cancelled and held seats cleared until 20 mins. prior.
Is SJC that huge an airport or UA operation that 40 mins. is mandatory?
</font>
Jana, unfortunately, in many stations it's that way. For example, check-in for flights in PDX and SEA with baggage must be completed by 45 minutes (when i last checked two months ago) prior to departure. I thought that was a UA standard (silly UAX gate agent you're thinking), when I was in the line at SFO to help my friend check the bags back to PDX, I asked if we were going to miss the cutoff. The agent said "only if I type really slowly for the next 15 minutes."

I can understand SEA with the getting to the N gates, etc. but PDX is another story.

Jkieta: I apologize you had a less-than-pleasant encounter. My manager wouldn't stand for it either. Customer service training is underway for all United and United Express stations. For agents like Jana & Cori, however, I would agree that it is moot.

Kai

------------------
My opinions do not necessarily reflect the opinions of my employer, SkyWest Airlines, or those of our major partners, United Airlines & Delta Air Lines, respectively.
Old Oct 21, 2002, 8:28 pm

Jkeita I will add to the chorus of apologies and state that my manager would also not tolerate such behaviour. Please alert the SJC manager to your experiences.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.