Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA may order the A380

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2011, 9:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by seaflyguy
Why is it that when the US wanted to impose its new security regulations on flights out of other countries into the US, that was reasonable, but now that the EU wants to impose its new emissions regulations on flights out of other countries into the EU, that's an infringement of our sovereignty? Seriously, I want to know; can someone explain this to me?
Because the US imposed security regulations. The EU is trying to impose a subjective Tax.

I mention subjective, because IIRC it was not just a flat rate (like a landing fee). It is based on carbon emissions (which is determined by distance flown). So as I understand it a PEK-FRA flight would pay a higher tax then a flight from TLV-FRA.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by Jorgen
Apparently someone's already gone and rendered what an A380 would look like in United livery:

http://www.airlinereporter.com/wp-co.../UALA380PS.jpg

I like it, actually. Much better than the 747. The 747 looks wrong with the horizontal two-tone job, because it just makes the bulge look ungainly. The full-length second deck of the United A380, though, looks great.

(Oh please let me not start a debate about how the old United livery was so much better...)

Looks like a beluga whale with corporate sponsorship.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 1:01 pm

Programs: their are many of them
Just say no

no a380 for united!!!!!!!!!!!! Boycott it horrible idea
Old Dec 11, 2011, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by TWAB747nomore
Just say no

+1
Old Dec 11, 2011, 1:57 pm

Programs: VAG
Originally Posted by TWAB747nomore
Just say no

I, uhh, really don't see why anyone would care that much one way or the other.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by seaflyguy
Why is it that when the US wanted to impose its new security regulations on flights out of other countries into the US, that was reasonable, but now that the EU wants to impose its new emissions regulations on flights out of other countries into the EU, that's an infringement of our sovereignty? Seriously, I want to know; can someone explain this to me?
The relevant international agreement is the Chicago Convention.

I don't know if this is the reason, but it is a significant difference:
The security regulations have a cost, but are not revenue generating for the US government.
The EU emissions tax is revenue generating for the regulator since they get to sell the made up carbon permits.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 11:29 am
jss

Programs: UA 1P (1MM), AA PLT (2MM)
FAA approves 747-8 for EWR

Maybe more reason for UA to look at the 747-8i

"The Federal Aviation Administration has given the airport a waiver so it can receive flights by the massive Boeing 747-8.

Newark's taxiways are too close together to legally handle the plane. The airport had to get special permission from the FAA."

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local...135589183.html
Old Dec 14, 2011, 11:56 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jss

"The Federal Aviation Administration has given the airport a waiver so it can receive flights by the massive Boeing 747-8.

Newark's taxiways are too close together to legally handle the plane. The airport had to get special permission from the FAA."

"Newark's taxiways are too close together to legally handle the plane. The airport had to get special permission from the FAA."

My 2 Cents: That just seems like a bad idea.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by jss

Originally Posted by Madone59
"Newark's taxiways are too close together to legally handle the plane. The airport had to get special permission from the FAA."

Look on the (potential) bright side: If the plane is too big to wait around on the taxiways during rush hour(s), maybe it will get expedited take-off positioning. ^ But, OTOH, it could just wait around at the gate.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 1kBill
Look on the (potential) bright side: If the plane is too big to wait around on the taxiways during rush hour(s), maybe it will get expedited take-off positioning. ^ But, OTOH, it could just wait around at the gate.
Were talking about EWR......I'd bet on the 'other hand'.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 3:03 pm

Programs: their are many of them
Originally Posted by Jorgen
I, uhh, really don't see why anyone would care that much one way or the other.
Well, the way I see it is that UAL would try to pack as many seats into the aircraft as possible. In addition the likelyhood of spending more for special amenities is Nil. so what would be special about this aircraft ??

If UAL would add a bar, or a lounge , or some cool unique feature and have top of the line cabins I would be all for the airline adding this plane to the fleet.

However, in the real world that won't happen so i am against IT. I advise anyone who care about inflight service and pampering to rethink the idea of an A380 in the fleet.

Old Dec 14, 2011, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by Madone59

I guess they didnt learn anything from when the AF 380 sucker punched the Delta regional at JFK......
Old Dec 14, 2011, 3:37 pm

Then this Gem at the paris airshow:

I love the first pic, with the winglet stuck in the building.

http://www.airlinereporter.com/2011/...paris-airshow/
Old Dec 15, 2011, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by 1kBill
Yes, there is correct. Because it was too many aircraft is awaited for takeoff from EWR. Due to slots restrictions. I just don't think ever happening the entire A380 isn't in EWR. The A380 will have be there in JFK, IAD, ATL, MIA, LAX, SFO, YYZ and YUL, too. There is no reason why the A380 isn't coming in EWR. I don't think UA is not going considering to order the A380. Besides, I think UA would considered to order the 747-8I but, it's right choice for UA.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
http://www.jumpseatnews.com/details.aspx?NewsID=1944

United Airlines President and CEO Jeffery Smisek is seeking aircraft larger than the Airbus A350-900 for the carrier’s future long-haul fleet, but is discounting the double-deck Airbus A380.

The European manufacturer’s A380 is “probably a little large for what we need”, but the A350-900 on the other hand “might be suboptimal for some of our routes,” Smisek told Aviation Week during a visit to Frankfurt.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.