Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Weather Waiver for the Northeast 10/29 and 10/30

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2011, 1:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry

UACO finally posted it on the website:

Airports:
New York/Newark, NJ (EWR - Liberty)
Albany, NY (ALB)
Allentown, PA (ABE)
Baltimore, MD (BWI)
Harrisburg, PA (MDT)
Hartford, CT (BDL)
New York, NY (JFK)
New York, NY (LGA - LaGuardia)
Manchester, NH (MHT)
Philadelphia, PA (PHL)
Pittsburgh, PA (PIT)
Syracuse, NY (SYR)
Washington, DC (DCA - National)
Washington, DC (IAD - Dulles)
White Plains, NY (HPN)

Original Travel Dates:
October 29-October 30, 2011

Final Travel must be completed by:
End of Validity of ticket (one year from date of issue)

Flight Changes:
When rescheduled travel commences by October 29-November 6, 2011 change fees and fare differences will be waived.
For all other dates and ticket uses, the change fee will be waived, but a difference in fare may apply.

Refunds:
Refunds to original form of payment are permitted. Go to www.Continental.com and submit a Refund Request form.OnePass rewards may be cancelled and OnePass rewards may be cancelled and re-deposited for no fee.

I had a mileage run scheduled for today - so took advantage of the waiver and pushed it back 1 week. Hated turning in tickets where I was already upgraded on all 4 legs but it was not urgent travel, so better safe than sorry.

SunLover
Old Oct 29, 2011, 6:18 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I tried to reschedule my flight for the following weekend and the CO elite desk said nothing was available so I couldn't do it. Also couldn't fly to an alt airport without paying the difference. I thought that seemed unfair. The woman just seemed annoyed and couldn't wait for me to cancel my ticket so she could get on with her day. So I ended up doing that.

I really wish CO would fix their Change Flights online feature. Half the time I try to use it, it just reports an error forcing me to call. For any type of complicated ticket, it's very difficult to deal the elite desk if you get a cranky person. They're annoyed that your ticket requires more typing or code shares and just aren't helpful. I called back once but got someone even worse and I don't have enough patience to call all day. I usually get great people on the CO line when it's not an emergency but of course my luck goes bad when I actually need help.

I should add, it also seems that anytime I have a UA flight on a CO ticket or vice versa, I get annoyed agent attitude. RCC agents at ORD being the worst with snide remarks about it. It's just an airline ticket not the end of the world. I think UA should put some miniature fantasy vacation sunset posters on their desks. I feel for everyone these days and am understanding but I do miss 10 years ago when everyone seemed a lot less miserable to be working in the industry. Travelers could also use an attitude adjustment. Those of us who are pleasant and friendly have to take the heat from agents who just finished dealing with some huge ahole.

Last edited by dkmatter; Oct 29, 2011 at 6:53 am
Old Oct 29, 2011, 6:42 am
djs

Programs: UA, Hertz Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver
Kind of surprised tht BDL and MHT are on the list, but not BOS. Then again, they might stand to make a lot of money off of people wanting to reschedule flights to/from BOS.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by djs
Kind of surprised tht BDL and MHT are on the list, but not BOS. Then again, they might stand to make a lot of money off of people wanting to reschedule flights to/from BOS.
Right. That's what a multibillion dollar company is thinking.

It couldn't be because Logan is very far east in a westerly storm, or that Logan (like Denver) has the reputation for never closing.

Couldn't be that.....it must be your reason.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 8:58 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, ITA Elite+, Cathay S, Singapore S, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Flying AMS-IAD and IAD-IND tomorrow, hope its all cleared up by then.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 9:14 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Booked on UA and due to East Coast Travel Waiver Rebooking on CO?

I am booked LAX-IAD-EZE ( L Class ) tomorrow the 30th on UA. I see that there is an impending snow storm. I am 1P on UA and Matched to Gold on CO when I linked accounts ( no travel on CO this year ). If I would call UA Reservations and asked to route via CO LAX-IAH-EZE what class of fare would they book me in? I hear that sometimes you may get a higher booking class, and perhaps earn more miles if they rebook you in Y. Not sure of any upgrade possibility on CO as UA 1P and CO Gold? ( any experience ) I am currently upgraded to C on my LAX-IAD flight on UA. Does CO UG IAH-EZE for Elites on L Class (UA certainly does not, but read somewhere that CO is more liberal )

Thinking if the storm hits hard, It may be better to do this today then at the airport tomorrow..

What do you think?

Thanks in advance and Safe Travels
Old Oct 29, 2011, 9:29 am

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Snow just started coming down hard here in NYC!
Old Oct 29, 2011, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by dkmatter
I tried to reschedule my flight for the following weekend and the CO elite desk said nothing was available so I couldn't do it. Also couldn't fly to an alt airport without paying the difference. I thought that seemed unfair. The woman just seemed annoyed and couldn't wait for me to cancel my ticket so she could get on with her day. So I ended up doing that.
Agreed. Anytime I have called the elite desk for itinerary changes due to weather waivers or schedule changes it has taken a long, long time to process the request. Guessing it is a PITA because of the IT system and having to change/override tickets into fare classes that are not available on the new flight segments. In fact I was on the phone for so long this morning I had to finally say to the rep: Dude - either you have to confirm for me you can make this change, or I will have to start heading to the airport…

Actually weather waivers can prove out positive, and because of them I have no issue booking winter M/R flights months in advance. As I see it one of three things can happen:

1) I take the flights (weather permitting)
2) I change the ticket conveniently (and sometimes improve the itin in the process) ^
3) I cancel the tickets for a full refund (worst case which has yet to happen)

But in order to make these types of ticket changes work for you I suggest the following approach:

1) Call the elite line with a simple and reasonable plan. Have your preferred flights and times figured out in advance. Also have a plan B and a plan C to fall back on. The reps will tend to accept your suggestions; as it saves them work, and speeds things up.

2) If you can’t get a change that works for you - politely tell them you will have to think about it, and will call back later. Then try again and hopefully get a more helpful rep on the line.

SunLover
Old Oct 29, 2011, 11:39 am
djs

Programs: UA, Hertz Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver
Originally Posted by aacharya
Right. That's what a multibillion dollar company is thinking.

It couldn't be because Logan is very far east in a westerly storm, or that Logan (like Denver) has the reputation for never closing.

Couldn't be that.....it must be your reason.
Well, BOS is now on the list. But since they weren't holding out to make money on change fees, I'm certain they will refund any change fees they were charging people at 9:00 this morning.

Last edited by djs; Oct 29, 2011 at 12:11 pm
Old Oct 29, 2011, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Question on IAD, I checked to forecast (google weather) for tomorrow and it shows sunny yet its included in the waiver?
I am flying SNA-SFO-IAD tomorrow and want to know if I should expect issues, I wasn't that concerned before but seeing IAD added to tomorrows waiver has me a bit worried. I'm 1K and on a paid F fare so I would like to think they'll get me there somehow. Anyone in DC can say if its really looking bad weather-wise today/tomorrow?
Old Oct 29, 2011, 2:32 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, ITA Elite+, Cathay S, Singapore S, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by ryan182
Question on IAD, I checked to forecast (google weather) for tomorrow and it shows sunny yet its included in the waiver?
I am flying SNA-SFO-IAD tomorrow and want to know if I should expect issues, I wasn't that concerned before but seeing IAD added to tomorrows waiver has me a bit worried. I'm 1K and on a paid F fare so I would like to think they'll get me there somehow. Anyone in DC can say if its really looking bad weather-wise today/tomorrow?
I'd like to know that as well... I looked at the forecast and it shows 13*C tomorrow. I think if you arrive there in the afternoon like me, the snow should be gone shouldn't it?
Old Oct 29, 2011, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; CPU OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Hope this gets extended to 10/31 at ewr. Had meetings in sat next week that were cancelled and I'd love to reschedule the flight rather than canceling and being left with $94 in residual value.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by djs
Logan will probably get only an inch or two. High winds more of an issue, but although delays are likely, it's not *forecast* to be so bad.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 4:14 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Sitting at the gate at IAD for about 80 minutes now on 5770 to DTW- we lost our place to de-ice bc they boarded 10 more people who had misconnected. The only updates are coming from EasyUpdate go figure. It seems IAD is unable to handle the deicing as I've seen little movement from the A gates....
Old Oct 29, 2011, 4:14 pm

hmm: http://www.flightstats.com/go/Flight...ightNumber=125

Anyone know what will happen to AMS-IAD tommorrow?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.