Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Months of Miles

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2011, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by venkatsn
I got a 3 for 1000 offer. I am thinking of buying 300 10$ walmart gift cards for 100Kmiles as they dont have any fees and are free shipping. They can always be used to buy some thing or other over the next year. Will it work? If it works what is the easiest way to buy the cards. Looks like i have to make 300 individual transactions from the portal, maybe spacing them like 5 a day. Even then it takes like 60days to finish them. Did anyone think of an easier way?
How can you buy walmart gift cards for no fee? Is that from the walmart site?
The walmart site says that gift cards will not earn miles. I wonder if a gift card purchase would still count towards this promotion?
Old Aug 18, 2011, 7:49 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

I got the 1,000 bonus miles for every 2 transactions

I am off to buy some gift cards and I will check out their partner list to see if there are anything that will intrigue me...
Old Aug 18, 2011, 9:28 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by caseminole
based on one of the first posts in this thread, someone printed an apparent sample of the email:

Hello N00dle (Premier)
Take the Months of Miles Challenge.

You're invited to earn unlimited bonus award miles with our partners - any way you choose. Register instantly, then complete 2 transactions* and earn 1000 bonus miles for a limited time.

so i thought it was targeted to all elites based on the fact that he indicated he was Premier
Nop, I think this was random. I got 1000 miles per 2 transaction email and I got no status with United.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, DL, BA, HA, WN, SPG-PL, Hyatt-Dia, HH-Dia, Marr-Pl, US Mint/VR(retired)
Originally Posted by venkatsn
I got a 3 for 1000 offer. I am thinking of buying 300 10$ walmart gift cards for 100Kmiles as they dont have any fees and are free shipping. They can always be used to buy some thing or other over the next year. Will it work? If it works what is the easiest way to buy the cards. Looks like i have to make 300 individual transactions from the portal, maybe spacing them like 5 a day. Even then it takes like 60days to finish them. Did anyone think of an easier way?
Rewards not applicable on purchases of gift cards, tires and /or optical products at Walmart.com.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Isn't anyone reading the rules on these things? Or are they very well hidden? Naturally I wouldn't know as I never get offers !
Old Aug 18, 2011, 10:42 pm

ok, as another person here was saying he was going to buy HomeDepot gift cards , i thought walmart gift cards would count too. Now I dont know what to do. 295*3=885$ is too much fees to pay for buying through the giftcard portal
Old Aug 19, 2011, 1:29 am

Has anyone bought anything though the MP Shopping website before? FAQ says miles take 8 weeks to post. I was wondering if there's any indication of pending miles/purchases that haven't posted yet.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by penner42
Has anyone bought anything though the MP Shopping website before? FAQ says miles take 8 weeks to post. I was wondering if there's any indication of pending miles/purchases that haven't posted yet.
I buy from MP shopping occasionally. I have had very good luck with everything posting, but there is not any indication of miles "in the pipe" that have not yet posted.

I sometimes get an email from MP shopping that lists some of my activity. I think that it happens only after the miles post anyway, but I can't swear to it.

Bottom line, don't count on any advance confirmation.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 7:35 am

Programs: VA Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Ambassador
No surprise once again to see that UA are excluding their overseas members . Yes, we are the ones who can only earn miles by actually flying!

Promotion email...gee what is that??
Old Aug 19, 2011, 1:15 pm

Programs: SPG
Just received email from United indicating that "Thank you: Your Months of Miles Challenge has begun" and confirming my 2/1000 status.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by stultus
Just received email from United indicating that "Thank you: Your Months of Miles Challenge has begun" and confirming my 2/1000 status.
Got mine today as well after I was unsure if I was really registered, etc. I got the 3/1k offer. I figure I dine out 2 or 3 times a day every week when I am on the road so I will just make sure I eat with MP Dining partners...should be enough to snag a free ticket without much work.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 2:17 pm

I also received the confirmation of enrollment. I also noticed that there is a Welcome Bonus for joining the MP Dining club (1,000 miles). I was wondering if anyone happen to know if there is an enrollment code for this registration - I could not find one in any of the fine print. I just thought I'd check.

I'm confirmed for the 3/1000 bonus. I had already purchased two items (separately), as I was planning on those purchases anyway. Now I'm not sure I'll get the credit, as I had not received my confirmation email
Old Aug 19, 2011, 2:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by grizzles
Got mine today as well after I was unsure if I was really registered, etc. I got the 3/1k offer. I figure I dine out 2 or 3 times a day every week when I am on the road so I will just make sure I eat with MP Dining partners...should be enough to snag a free ticket without much work.
Yeah if you eat at MP Dining places a lot this is an easy way to rack up some points.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by goodeats21
I buy from MP shopping occasionally. I have had very good luck with everything posting, but there is not any indication of miles "in the pipe" that have not yet posted.

I sometimes get an email from MP shopping that lists some of my activity. I think that it happens only after the miles post anyway, but I can't swear to it.

Bottom line, don't count on any advance confirmation.
That's a shame. Gives me no way to know if what I'm buying (Staples gift cards through staples.com not giftcertificates.com) counts so I can buy more. I know I'll use them, so no real harm getting them through MP shopping, but it'd be nice to know if they were counting or not without waiting two months.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Thumbs up No minimum for dining transactions

Originally Posted by benFlys
I have an email in to [email protected]. It's been 2 days and no response. If anyone gets something in writing, let us all know!
I've heard back from UA. Was orginally told $10 minimum applied:

Hello AAerSTL,

Thank you for contacting Mileage Plus today regarding our new promotion MPM681.

The minimum purchase for dining would be $10.00. It does not matter how many times you use the same partner as long as it is separate transactions.

I appreciate this opportunity to reply to your concerns.

Regards,

<redacted>
Service Director
MileagePlus
...and later received:
Hello AAerSTL,

This e-mail follows up on your previous question regarding a minimum on the promotion MPM681.

Our communications office has just sent us an update on dining for this promotion. There is no minimum amount for dining. If it is posted to your account from dining, it will count as one transaction.

I again appreciate this opportunity to be of assistance.

Regards,

<redacted>
Service Director
MileagePlus
This shouldn't be too hard. I live and work near several MP dining establishments and can easily purchase something small (ie bagel, cookie, bag of chips, etc) and receive full credit.

For anyone in Boston it's currently restaurant week and several of the restaurant week participants also participate in Mileage Plus Dining. Restaurant week is on tonight then continues 8/21-8/26. For more information: http://www.bostonusa.com/visit/restaurantweek/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.