Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Months of Miles

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2011, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by Marathon Man
Turns out UA Mall (run by Cartera, by the way) are really big scammers and maybe we need to get a bit more aggressive with them now instead of later on.
I completely agree - I am still missing quite a few postings of purchases done even before this promo began!
Old Sep 15, 2011, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by bangkokiscool
For folks who received GC activation emails from Sam's for GCs already delivered, were those emails accompanied with new shipping notifications? Mine were, but the package shows as not being in the UPS system, which makes me wonder if we're supposed to activate cards we already have rather than waiting for new ones? Could be that their system can't generate a new activation code without also showing a new shipping email?
Mine seem to be sequencing as :
1. emails indicating order confirmed
2. shipping notice and gift card activation emails seem to come in around the same time. I am still missing a lot of the confirming shipping e-mails for orders not received, but trying to give them a chance to get caught up. I have received GC authorization emails for all cards that I have received except one. I had some others that were missing and I had to make numerous calls to get the authorization e-mails. I will probably have to call them again. I am checking every order off against a spread sheet and glad I set it up in advance.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 4:36 pm

Programs: AmexPlat,SPG,CitiAA,One pass,
I came home from work and I see on my table My HD gift cards in one of those envelopes then a priority mail envelope that is stuffed with HD cards and lets not forget stack of Best buy envelope also... ughhh now to open and right down whcih orders I got in my excel sheet...
Old Sep 15, 2011, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by khanalim
My only regret is that I didn't go harder on the sam's club gift cards the first week of the promo. Walmart gift card is almost like cash.
100% agreed. This one worked out very nicely!
Old Sep 15, 2011, 7:37 pm

I started around the 4th and ordered heavily through the 8th.

nothing but one $10 home depot has posted so far.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 7:58 pm

I ordered 200 total GC's from various sources. I have received all of them except maybe 8 or so. I received a huge stack from Sam's today. Of those I received only 20% of the activation e-mails. So have a lot of Sam's w/o the activation e-mail yet. All the GC's I purchased from all sources through 8-31 has posted for base miles. I have tons more that are showing up as pending (those after 8-31).

As I start spending through these GC's I see a huge benefit to those participating merchants because I have shifted all my buying to those particular merchants, i.e. Sams instead of my weekly trip to Target. LOts of buying at CVS instead of splitting those purchases with Walgreens or Target. Bought some oil today at Auto Zone with my GC instead of where I normally shop which is OReilly's.
Eaten out 4x this week at Panera with my GC's instead of moving around to other restaurants. Before UA squelched the program, I was eating out at all the UA Dining places.
I feel like all the merchants I participated with got a good deal. They picked up business they wouldn't have had in the quantity I am giving it to them now. I am not feeling any "poor retailer" pangs when I walk in and use the GC, and I don't think they are either!

Bring on the next promo UA! (just make sure you have done your due diligence before launching it)
Old Sep 15, 2011, 9:49 pm

Miles not worth what they used to be

has anyone noticed that UAL miles are not worth what they were last yr (before merger). I have miles in a lot of programs & UALs were the best bang for the buck last yr. I got 4 1-ways home from Orlando for 12.5K each (bought almost a yr in advance granted); but now when I look a yr in advance I can't find anything at 12.5k, almost everything is at least 20K... oh well. My 100K miles on this promotion will not go as far as I orignially thuoght. They seem to have adopted continentals mileage plan. Delta's & American's stink too...
Old Sep 15, 2011, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

well the anti has been upped all over town. They give ya say 75k for an AA citi card... now it will cost more to fly on AA with miles!

Same on UA and DL

heck, I used to use this analogy when talking about how my parents once got excited about getting a Sears card in the 70s. Back then only the few had an Amex green card.

Then everyone did
Then everyone got gold
then platinum

and with school... grandparents went to high school
my parents went to college
we all get MBAs.
heck some 12 year old I know are so smart with computers they have their PHDs lol

you get the idea
Old Sep 15, 2011, 10:41 pm

Programs: gold, titanium, platinum and diamond, but still no giraffe.
Originally Posted by Marathon Man
100% agreed. This one worked out very nicely!
Me 3. I got 476 shipping confirm emails from HD today. Wife says they're already coming in - 20 or so per envelope. I used Chase & Amex for the GC orders but almost all on Friday night were Amex. Still show as processing on the web site though. And no transactions show up on the UA shopping site either.

I think the only ones that were cancelled were the Old Navy ones earlier in the week. {shrug}

I just saw the change on terms on the HD page... lol.... "all gc purchases" Typical overreaction. I can tell they'd never been to Filene's basement in the good old days.

I would have been happy with a $25 minimum for that, indeed I was still buying Sam's GCs at $25.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have yet to figure out why gc purchases are hated so much in promos.

I can kinda understand the gc to gc ones, but to not allow any gc to earn a reward is sort of counter productive in my opinion. What they should do is just figure out a way to make it work and really think it through, not just make blanket statements in the middle of promos because they find that they cannot handle the over burdened sales.

Oh that's it! They cant handle it!
I should know that
Old Sep 16, 2011, 6:31 am

Programs: gold, titanium, platinum and diamond, but still no giraffe.
ayup...

if you don't want the GC loop, prohibit gc to gc.
if you don't want people returning GCs, don't offer a $5 one.
if you don't want our business or money, prohibit all gc trans.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 8:07 am
akp

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Has anyone gotten any word from UA on the split transactions?

Upthread I read that others have had the same situation as me -- transactions for multiple items at PetSmart and Drugstore.com are showing as multiple sub-$10 lines on the UA Shopping site.

I called yesterday (to confirm my registration which is FINALLY resolved) and also asked if they will know that my 9.99 item plus a .99 item showing as 2 lines on United Shopping was really a single transaction above $10 minimum.

My call resulted in what has become UA's typical lack of clarity...first the CSR tried to tell me that only individual ITEMS above $10 count. He told me this over and over and with conviction. He even read me the terms and conditions over the phone and said that "transaction" means item. I said "do you mean to tell me that if I buy 2 $8 pizzas at a dining establishment for a total of one $16 charge on my credit card, that transaction doesn't count?" He finally realized the (fill-in-the-blank) of his assertion, put me on hold, and came back to say he was wrong and that any transaction over $10, even it if it is made up of multiple items under $10, will count.

I asked what needs to be done about the fact that these are showing in UA Shopping as 2 transactions under $10 instead of one above $10. He said not to worry, it will just count because they'll know. Ha! That's a good one.

So I guess that fight will likely be fought after the miles have posted if I still have the energy for this nonsense...

Anita
Old Sep 16, 2011, 9:11 am

Programs: AA,DL,MP,Marriott,Hyatt,HI,Carlson
How long is it taking for the transactions to post on the MPShopping site?

I haven't really made a lot of transactions, but the few that I made haven't yet posted on the MPShopping site. Its been 6 days now and no transactions have posted.

What's the status for others?
Old Sep 16, 2011, 10:02 am

Programs: US Silver, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by triSSB
I haven't really made a lot of transactions, but the few that I made haven't yet posted on the MPShopping site. Its been 6 days now and no transactions have posted.

What's the status for others?
I started buying on 9/8 and so far nothing. Not really surprised though, it would takes weeks (or sometimes months) for purchases to show up on Continental's site.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 10:20 am

The only purchases that have showed up on the MP Account Summary page are my purchases from PETsMART.com from 8/23 to 9/7. Nothing shown from Best Buy, Home Depot, Sears, Cabela's, REI, or LEGO in the same time period yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.