Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United iPhone/iPad App-Questions, Answers, Bugs and etc [CONSOLIDATED]

Old Jul 20, 2011, 11:30 am
Company Representative, United Airlines
Original Poster

Hi Everyone, we wanted to give you a heads up that our new United Airlines iPhone/iPad application is now available to download for free from the Apple App Store. We'll officially be announcing it soon, but in the meantime, please take it for a test drive and let us know what you think!

Here are some highlights of what you'll be able to do:
  • Book revenue flights. The application gives you the ability to make reservations for your revenue travel in a few easy steps. The ability to redeem Mileage Plus mileage for award tickets is not currently available, but, will be added once weve integrated our computer systems.

• Check flight status (including viewing standby and upgrade lists). With this feature you can get the latest status for flights by entering the flight number or cities. Additionally, the Flight Status option gives you the ability to view Standby and Cleared Lists including the First Class Upgrade list.
    Worth noting: When viewing the Upgrade Standby List, youll be able to see where you are prioritized list and whether or not youve cleared, but unlike the Continental app, you wont currently be able to see the specific number of customers who are booked or checked-in for the flight. We know this is a valued feature, and at the latest, well get this added once weve integrated our computer systems.

Additionally, another feature that is available on the Continental application that is not yet available here is the ability to see where a specific aircraft is coming from. Once were on one system, this feature will be added as well.
  • View airport maps.If youre not familiar with how an airport is laid out, our airport maps will help you find your way.

• Check-in. With this simple to use feature you can check-in, get your seat assignment and get your boarding pass just as if you were checking in online.
Additional features of the application allow you to check your account balance, view your existing reservations, get information on our United Lounges and much more. We think you'll find the app is convenient and easy to use. Your feedback and comments are always welcome.

Shannon Kelly
Director, Customer Insights & Metrics
United Airlines
Old Jul 20, 2011, 11:37 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
Just tried it. Looks nice. Seems easy to use.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 11:41 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, National Exec Elite
very useful app!

I just installed it and quickly looked thru it. I'm very impressed! Lots of useful functionality! And a Sudoku game!

I'll be flying this weekend, so I'll use it for updates, etc. and see how it performs.

Overall, I'm impressed! I hope it holds up under steady use. I also hope that you come out with an iPad version too, but the iPhone version works OK on the iPad.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 11:42 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, Alaska 75K, Marriott Premier Plat
About time! Looks great!
Old Jul 20, 2011, 11:44 am

Finally!!! Woooooooooooo for technology goodies! When is the android version coming out?
Old Jul 20, 2011, 11:47 am

Where's the Android version??
Old Jul 20, 2011, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Many thanks for letting us know!!
Dave
Old Jul 20, 2011, 11:53 am

After touring the app -- I realized that this is exactly like the CO app.... with the name changed.

You can now view the standby upgrade list though for UA flights ^^^

I still wish we could change seats on the CO and UA app. That's ONE feature I dearly want the most.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 11:54 am

Nice to have an app, a few comments:

- Though I signed in to my account, when I went to check in, I still had to re-enter my mileage plus number.
- The mobile boarding pass feature is nice, especially the link off the home page
- The flight status search function defaults to continental. I guess being originally a united flyer its a bigger problem for me. (this is also where you can see the upgrade list where you can see how many people and their names).
- Though you can see future reservations, you can't change seats etc

Overall, nice work. Huge upgrade over the mobile version.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by edcho
After touring the app -- I realized that this is exactly like the CO app.... with the name changed.
Haven't downloaded it yet, but if it is indeed the case, then ^^^^^.

About 2/3 of my bookings this year come via the CO App. If the app had the ability to change seats prior to check-in, it'd be dang near perfect. (I'm not going to expect fare class booking or expert mode seating information, etc. to be built into an app.)
Old Jul 20, 2011, 11:59 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hilton Gold
Great app, but two requests:

1) Ability to select seats
2) Ability to turn off the start up sound. I love Rhapsody in Blue, but I hate it when my phone makes noise.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 12:01 pm

I also note that I can sign-in using my CO OnePass username and password. Hmmmmmm.....
Old Jul 20, 2011, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Just downloaded the app. Nice to have Rhapsody when it started up ^

I see cabin options as Economy & First/BusinessFirst. What if I want UA C or UA intl F? I don't see a place to select that.. Selecting F/BF gives me intl C, not F..
Old Jul 20, 2011, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA-EP, SPG-Plat, MR-Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by edcho
I also note that I can sign-in using my CO OnePass username and password. Hmmmmmm.....
Looks like the CO app was the platform for this one - smart idea not to reinvent.

Nice feature to have dual sign-in.

Last edited by derodnight; Jul 20, 2011 at 12:18 pm
Old Jul 20, 2011, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by derodnight
Looks like the CO app was the playform for this one - smart idea not to reinvent.
There are a few GOOD things that shouldn't be reinvented (like the CO app) so I agree ^^^.

Just wished they put a little more effort (and feedback from the CO app) like seat assignments. Push notifications always saved my life when changes in departure time happens. Glad the CO (and now the UA) crowd can enjoy these features on the CO (and now UA) birds.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.